All Saints' Church, Petersham (London)
|former All Saints' Church, Petersham|
|OS grid reference||TQ 183 730|
|Location||Bute Avenue, Petersham, London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, TW10 7AX|
|Denomination||Church of England|
|Founder(s)||Rachael Laetitia Ward|
|Functional status||now a private residence|
|Heritage designation||Grade II listed|
|Designated||25 June 1983|
All Saints' Church, Petersham in Bute Avenue, Petersham in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, is a Grade II listed former church which is now used as a private residence. Designed by Leeds architect John Kelly, it was commissioned in 1899 by Rachel Laetitia Warde (née Walker) (1841–1906) to accommodate the expected suburban expansion of Petersham and as a memorial to her parents, using funds from the estate of her father Samuel Walker (1812–1898) who had died the previous year. However, she died three years before it was finished and the project was completed by her son Lionel (1876–1963).
History and description
The church, with a separate church hall and institute, was erected in the grounds of Bute House (previously the residence of British Prime Minister John Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute, and which was demolished in 1908). It was built in the style of a basilica in red brick and terracotta. Cherry and Pevsner described the architectural style as "Emphatically Italian Early Christian or Romanesque".
The church was never consecrated as the anticipated growth in Petersham's population never took place. But it was used occasionally by the parish and also by the Greek Orthodox Church. It continued to be used for weddings until 1981 but ceased to be used as a church in 1986.
- The London Borough of Richmond upon Thames Local Studies Volunteer Support Group (2013). The Building of a Borough. London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. pp. 18–20.
- "Church of All Saints, Richmond upon Thames". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner (1983). The Buildings of England – London 2: South. London: Penguin Books. p. 514. ISBN 0 14 0710 47 7.
- "Laetitia Rachael Warde (born Walker)". MyHeritage. 24 February 2011. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- "Ham and Petersham – All Saints' Church". HistoryWorld's Places in History. HistoryWorld. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- "Sammual Walker". MyHeritage. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- "Lionel Warde". MyHeritage. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- H.E. Malden (editor) (1911). "Parishes: Petersham". A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 3. Victoria County History. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- "Petersham, All Saints". Anglican Diocese of Southwark. July 2007. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- "Obituary: Keith Grant". Daily Telegraph (London). 12 September 2012. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- Michael Lee. "Petersham at War". Petersham Village. Retrieved 19 April 2003.