All Saints University
|All Saints University Lango (ASUL)|
|Motto||"Striving for Academic Excellence"|
|Chancellor||Bishop John Charles Odur-Kami|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Fred Opio|
|Admin. staff||26+ (2010)|
All Saints University, whose complete name is All Saints University Lango (ASUL), is a private University in Uganda. It is recognised as a university by the Uganda National Council of Higher Education (UNCHE). It is owned and administered by the Lango Diocese of the Church of Uganda.
The university is located on Adoko Road, in the southeastern part of the city of Lira, in Lira District, Northern Uganda, approximately 270 kilometres (170 mi), by road, north of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. The coordinates of the university campus are:2° 14' 8.00"N, 32° 53' 51.00"E (Latitude:2.235556; Longitude:32.897500).
All Saints University was founded in 2008, by the Diocese of Lango, of the Church of Uganda. Although the founders and administrators of the university are Christians, the university admits students without regard to nationality, religious beliefs or ethnicity. The first class of 90 undergraduate students were admitted in January 2009. As of October 2009[update], the university has a provisional tertiary educational institutional license from the Ministry of Education & Sports. Arrangements are underway to obtain full accreditation.
In late February 2014, the Vice Chancellor, Professor Fred Opio Ekong, was involved in an automobile accident when the vehicle in which he was traveling, was struck from the rear. He was taken first to Mulago National Referral Hospital, but was later transferred, unconscious, to International Hospital Kampala. On the evening of 2 April 2014, he died as a result of his injuries.
As of August 2012[update], the university maintains three Faculties:
The following degree courses are offered at the university:
- Faculty of Business Administration and Management
- Bachelor of Business Administration and Management
- Bachelor of Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Bachelor of Arts in Social Sciences - B.A.(Soc.Sc.)
- Bachelor of Social Work and Social Administration - BSWSA
- Bachelor of Arts in Project Planning and Management - BA/PPM
In addition to the degree courses, the university offers many diploma and certificate courses in the same or related fields.
- List of universities in Uganda
- Education in Uganda
- List of Ugandan university leaders
- Church of Uganda
- Fred Opio is Vice Chancellor of ASU, Lira
- List of Recognized Universities In Uganda
- Road Distance between Kampala and Lira, with Map
- Location of The Campus of All Saints University At Google Maps
- All Saints University Opened in January 2009
- Founding of All Saints University
- Provisional University License Issued in 2008
- All Saints University Vice Chancellor Fred Opio Ekong Is Dead
- Professor Opio Eulogized
- About All Saints University Lango