All She Wants to Do Is Dance
|"All She Wants to Do Is Dance"|
|Single by Don Henley|
|from the album Building the Perfect Beast|
|B-side||"Building the Perfect Beast"|
|Genre||Hard rock, pop rock, dance-rock|
|Producer(s)||Don Henley, Danny Kortchmar, Greg Ladanyi|
|Don Henley singles chronology|
"All She Wants to Do Is Dance" is a song written by Danny Kortchmar and performed by Don Henley, co-lead vocalist and drummer for Eagles. It was released as the second single from Henley's second studio solo album, Building the Perfect Beast, being Henley's sixth single. It was one of Henley's most commercially successful singles.
The songs lyrics are a personal commentary, critical of then-modern American culture for being more concerned with self-gratification and hedonistic behaviors (e.g., dancing, partying, promiscuity, recreational drug use, etc.) than with serious issues such as domestic and foreign policies of their government. Ironically, it became a very popular dance song, peaking at #10 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs.
When Kortchmar was asked about the song he said "I had the groove and the music going. That record was made back when the technology had just started to really take over in music. I had one of the first Yamaha DX 7s, which was a keyboard that was used a ton in the '80s, but we ended up luckily getting one of the first ones in the United States. It's a synthesizer keyboard, and I used it to get that sound that you hear the record starting with."
The commercial U.S. 7" vinyl version has a slightly different intro than the LP version from Building The Perfect Beast.
John Leland from Spin magazine wrote about the 12-inch single version of the song saying "...this mother whomps from the git with punchy electronic drums and a mix that keeps one foot off the ground for a full seven-and-a-half minutes. Henley's post-hedonist vision of apocalypse is twisted".
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||13|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||9|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs||10|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks||1|
|U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||34|
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits, 8th Edition (Billboard Publications), page 282.
- John Leland (July 1985). Don Henley "All She Wants To Do Is Dance" (Geffen). Spin. p. 34. Retrieved 2010-08-22.
- "Results – RPM – Library and Archives Canada – Top Singles". RPM. Retrieved April 1, 2011.
- "Don Henley Album & Song Chart History – Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved April 1, 2011.
- "Don Henley Album & Song Chart History – Dance/Club Play Songs". Billboard. Retrieved April 1, 2011.
- "allmusic ((( Don Henley > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles )))". AllMusic. Retrieved April 1, 2011.
- "Don Henley Album & Song Chart History – R&B/Hip-Hop Songs". Billboard. Retrieved April 1, 2011.