All Summer Long (Kid Rock song)
|"All Summer Long"|
|Single by Kid Rock|
|from the album Rock n Roll Jesus|
|Released||April 5, 2008
(see release history)
|Recorded||Allen Roadhouse 2007|
|Genre||Southern rock, country rock|
|Length||4:56 (album version)
3:46 (radio edit)
|Label||Atlantic, Top Dog|
Ronnie Van Zant
Leroy Marinell James Green V
|Producer(s)||Kid Rock with Mike E. Clark|
|Kid Rock singles chronology|
"All Summer Long" is a song recorded by Kid Rock. It was released in 2008 as the third single from his seventh studio album Rock n Roll Jesus. The song samples two hit songs of the 1970s, Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London", and Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama" (Zevon himself had satirized/referenced Lynyrd Skynyrd's song in his similarly titled "Play It All Night Long", with the rather brutal line, "Play that dead band's song"). The idea for the mashup was suggested by Mike E. Clark. The song was a number-one hit in eight countries across Europe, Australia and the United Kingdom. It even crossed over to country music radio, giving Kid Rock his first top-ten country hit. The song was the official theme song to WWE's pay-per view event, Backlash 2008. The song was performed on the MTV music awards with rapper Lil Wayne in 2008.
The music video for the song was shot in Nashville Tennessee and features Kid Rock driving a Grand Craft Grand Sport boat out on the Old Hickory Lake, while two teenagers are shown enacting the song's lyrics. Kid Rock is also shown partying with girls or women on a different boat, and singing the song on a platform on the lake during night time. The platform, float & lights are a homage to the "Playboy girls" scene in the film Apocalypse Now. As the video ends, the small boat Kid Rock is driving can be seen with the word "cowboy" on the back.
|United States||April 5, 2008|
|United Kingdom||July 28, 2008|
"All Summer Long" is Kid Rock's fourth song to chart on the Billboard Hot 100, and overall his biggest hit of his career. It reached number 23 on the Hot 100, based solely on airplay, since Kid Rock had not made his catalog available for legal digital download at the time (therefore, the song received no assistance from digital sales). It peaked at number three on the Billboard Hot 100 Airplay chart, making it his highest peaking single on this chart. It is his third top 40 hit on the Hot 100. The song has become Kid Rock's second pop crossover hit (after "Picture"), reaching the top ten on Mainstream Top 40 radio. "All Summer Long" has also reached the top ten on Billboard's Adult Top 40.
It marks Kid Rock's third entry on the American Billboard Hot Country Songs chart, after "Picture" and "Single Father", both in 2003, reaching number four, his first top 20 and top 10 on that chart. It was a moderate hit on U.S. rock, peaking at number 17 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart and number 38 on the Modern Rock Tracks chart.
The song is Kid Rock's first international hit as well. The song went to number one in the United Kingdom, where it knocked off Dizzee Rascal's "Dance Wiv Me" and was replaced at the summit by Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl". In the rest of Europe, where there are physical and digital releases of the single, it has also topped the charts in Ireland, Austria, Germany, and Switzerland. It has reached the top five in Norway, Sweden, Turkey and Poland. In Australia, the song is his first top ten and number one single.
Hit Masters version
|"All Summer Long"|
|Single by Hit Masters|
|Released||August 12, 2008|
|Label||Hip Kiddy Records|
A recording of the song was released digitally by Hit Masters, a karaoke company whose version was made available in the iTunes Store in North America. Due to Kid Rock's decision to withhold his music from the iTunes market, sales from the karaoke version eventually caused it to overtake Kid Rock's original on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States peaking at number 19. This version also peaked at number 28 on the Canadian Hot 100 due to digital downloads. As Rock's version remained in the top 30 based on radio airplay alone, Hit Masters jumped into the top 20 due to its sales strength. However, the radio success of "All Summer Long" propelled Rock N Roll Jesus back up to number two on the Billboard 200, nearly a year after its release.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||28|
|US Billboard Hot 100||19|
The Rock Heroes version
|"All Summer Long"|
|Single by The Rock Heroes|
|from the album A Salute to Kid Rock|
Another recording of the song by karaoke band The Rock Heroes was released on iTunes for digital downloads in North America in September 2008. In the U.S. it debuted at number 38 on the Billboard Hot 100 and then rose to number 29 the next week, and also in Canada it debuted at number 16 on the Canadian Hot 100 due to digital downloads.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||16|
|US Billboard Hot 100||29|
- List of number-one singles in Australia in 2008
- List of number-one hits of 2008 (Austria)
- List of European number-one hits of 2008
- List of number-one hits of 2008 (Germany)
- List of number-one singles of 2008 (Ireland)
- List of number-one hits of 2008 (Switzerland)
- List of number-one singles from the 2000s (UK)
- List of UK Rock Chart number-one singles of 2008
- Graham, Adam (2008-07-17). "Hot Rock: Album, talent put genre mixer into spotlight". The Detroit News. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- "Billboard.com". Billboard. Archived from the original on 19 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-19.
- A Grand heritage
- "Australian-charts.com – Kid Rock – All Summer Long". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Kid Rock – All Summer Long" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Kid Rock – All Summer Long" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Kid Rock – All Summer Long" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Canadian Hot 100 2008-08-09". Canadian Hot 100. Archived from the original on 10 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-18.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200835 into search.
- "Danishcharts.com – Kid Rock – All Summer Long". Tracklisten.
- "Lescharts.com – Kid Rock – All Summer Long" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Chartverfulgong > Kid Rock > All Summer Long – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Kid Rock - All Summer Long worldwide track positions and trajectories". acharts.us. Archived from the original on 29 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-26.
- "Media Forest: Airplay chart". mako.com/mediaforest.biz.
- "Italiancharts.com – Kid Rock – All Summer Long". Top Digital Download.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Kid Rock search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – Kid Rock – All Summer Long". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Kid Rock – All Summer Long". VG-lista.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200835 into search.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Kid Rock – All Summer Long". Singles Top 60.
- "Swisscharts.com – Kid Rock – All Summer Long". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Kid Rock Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Kid Rock.
- "Kid Rock Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Kid Rock.
- "Kid Rock Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Kid Rock.
- "Kid Rock Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Alternative Songs for Kid Rock.
- "Kid Rock Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Kid Rock.
- "Kid Rock Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Kid Rock.
- "Billboard.com - Kid Rock Chart History". Billboard. Archived from the original on 3 August 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-18.
- "Best of 2008: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2008. Archived from the original on 12 December 2008. Retrieved December 13, 2008.
- [dead link]
- "Éves összesített listák - MAHASZ Rádiós TOP 100 (súlyozott)". Mahasz. Mahasz.
- "2009 Year End Swiss Singles Chart". Swiss Music Charts. 2009. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "Die ultimative Chart Show | Hits des neuen Jahrtausends | Download". RTL.de. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank ('All Summer Long')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- Waddell, Ray (2008-08-29). "Kid Rock Living Large Without iTunes". Billboard magazine. Archived from the original on 30 August 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-29.
- Cohen, Jonathan (2008-08-28). "T.I. Sets New Record With Hot 100 No. 1 Jump". Billboard magazine. Archived from the original on 28 August 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-28.
- Chart Beat Chat, Billboard magazine
- Caulfield, Keith (2008-08-27). "Bonus Jonas! A Second Week At No. 1 For The Brothers". Billboard magazine. Archived from the original on 14 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-27.
- "iTunes - Music - A Salute to Kid Rock by The Rock Heroes". Itunes.apple.com. 2008-08-01. Retrieved 2012-01-04.