All That Remains (band)
|All That Remains|
All That Remains at With Full Force 2013
|Origin||Springfield, Massachusetts, United States|
|Genres||Melodic death metal, death metal (early)
Melodic metalcore, heavy metal, metalcore (later)
|Labels||Prosthetic, Razor & Tie|
|Associated acts||Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage|
|Past members||Dan Egan
All That Remains is an American metal band from Springfield, Massachusetts formed in 2000. They have released six studio albums, a live CD/DVD, and have sold over million records worldwide. The group consists of vocalist Philip Labonte, guitarists Oli Herbert and Mike Martin, bassist Jeanne Sagan and former Diecast drummer Jason Costa, with Labonte and Herbert being the only two original members.
- 1 History
- 2 Influences and musical style
- 3 Band members
- 4 Discography
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Formation and first releases (2001–2005)
Phil Labonte, the vocalist for All That Remains, was originally the vocalist for Shadows Fall and appeared on the cult classic album Somber Eyes to the Sky. After being asked to leave because of "musical differences", Phil focused entirely on All That Remains, a side project he had been working on prior to leaving. Phil has been known to support Boston acts such as Widow Sunday, Bury Your Dead, and Cannae. The band released their debut album, Behind Silence and Solitude on March 26, 2002 through Prosthetic Records. The style of the album differs from their current melodic metalcore musical style they've had since 2006, and more prominently contains elements of melodic death metal. It was also the band's only release featuring the original members Chris Bartlett and Dan Egan.
Their second album, This Darkened Heart was released on March 23, 2004 through Prosthetic Records. Produced by Killswitch Engage guitarist Adam Dutkiewicz, the album featured better production compared to its predecessor. The three singles that were released from the album are “This Darkened Heart”, “Tattered on My Sleeve” and “The Deepest Gray”. Music videos were created for all three.This Is the first album with actual guitarist Mike Martin.
The Fall of Ideals and mainstream success (2006–2007)
Their third album The Fall of Ideals was released on July 11, 2006 through Prosthetic Records. Once again, the album was produced by Adam Dutkiewicz. The album is also considered to be the band’s breakthrough release, as it entered the Billboard 200 charts at number 75, selling almost 13,000 copies in its first week. “This Calling” was released as the album’s first single. Two music videos were created, with one incorporating footage from Saw III (as it was the lead song from the film’s soundtrack). A music video was made for the album’s second single "The Air That I Breathe". The band was also a part of Ozzfest 2006. The song “Six” is featured in Guitar Hero II as an unlockable song . On June 20, 2007, it was announced that The Fall of Ideals had surpassed 100,000 sales in the United States. A music video for the album’s third single “Not Alone” was filmed on July 4 and was released on September 10, 2007. In 2007, they played at Wacken Open Air in Wacken, Germany to a great success. On November 30, 2007, All That Remains released a live CD/DVD album titled All That Remains Live.
In early 2008, they embarked on a headlining tour with support from Chimaira and Black Tide with Divine Heresy and Light This City splitting the tour’s opening slot. Five Finger Death Punch, was originally supposed to play but dropped off before the tour started due to vocal problems. Later that summer All That Remains appeared on the Midwestern leg of Van’s Warped Tour 2008. The band visited Audiohammer Studios in May, 2008 to record their fourth studio album, entitled Overcome, with producer Jason Suecof. The album was released on September 16, 2008, with critics giving it mixed reviews due to its more mainstream sound, many claiming that the band has put focus on catchy melodies rather than technical heavy metal riffs. The song “Chiron” was released as the first single from the album and a video was produced for it. Two singles from the album (“Chiron” and “Two Weeks”) were also released for Rock Band as downloadable content, along with “This Calling”. The band released a video for "Two Weeks" in October. "Two Weeks" was also featured as a free playable download on the popular iPhone OS game, Tap Tap Revenge 2. On June 10, All That Remains started touring on the Rockstar Mayhem Festival, playing the Jägermeister stage along with God Forbid and headliners Trivium.
In April 2009, Phil Labonte posted on his Twitter that he was recording something in the studio on that same day with (at least) Oli and Mike. This turned out to be the acoustic version of “Forever in Your Hands”. In late June 2009, drummer Jason Costa broke his hand. The band temporarily recruited drummer Tony Laureano (Dimmu Borgir, Nile) to honor their commitment to the 2009 Rockstar Energy Mayhem Festival.
For We Are Many (2010–2011)
All That Remains announced plans to start recording another album, which began in April 2010. The band later confirmed it to be released later in the year with Adam Dutkiewicz as the chosen producer. The album was released on October 12, 2010. In late September 2010, All That Remains announced “The Napalm & Noise Tour”, which took place from November 23, 2013 to December 21, 2013. They will co-headline it with The Devil Wears Prada, and be supported by Story of the Year and Haste the Day. In October All That Remains released the music video for their single “Forever in Your Hands”. Also released on this day was a free download of the Japan bonus track "Frozen" from Overcome. In January 2011, All That Remains won top honors in the Hard Rock/Metal category in the 9th Annual Independent Music Awards for the album.
On June 8, 2010, All That Remains premiered the title track "For We Are Many" during a show in Burlington, VT under the working title of "Dem Trims". From August 18 through September 6, a free download of the title track, "For We Are Many", was available on the band’s website after subscribing to their mailing list. On October 6, 2010, All That Remains released a music video for the single "Hold On". “For We Are Many” debuted at number 10 on the Billboard 200, selling a little over 29,000 copies in its first week. All That Remains took part in the Share the Welt Fall tour with Hatebreed, Rains and Five Finger Death Punch.
A War You Cannot Win (2012–2013)
On January 25, 2012, Phil Labonte stated on Facebook that the band were working on new material. On June 21, they revealed that their upcoming sixth studio album is titled A War You Cannot Win. On August 13, 2012, Phil uploaded "Down Through the Ages" to YouTube. All That Remains released the album cover to the album August 23. On August 27, the first single "Stand Up" was released on the radio. On August 29, All That Remains released the official lyric video to "Stand Up". The band has also released a free track of "Down Through the Ages" off their website from the album A War You Cannot Win which was released on November 6, 2012. On 21 October 2013, the band released a music video for the track "What If I Was Nothing".
The Order of Things (2014–present)
In January 2014, the band reported through their official Facebook page, that they have started writing their seventh studio album. . On June 26, 2014, it was confirmed that the band is now in pre-production on their new album with producer Josh Wilbur, who has previously worked with Lamb of God and Gojira. The as-yet-untitled follow-up to 2012's "A War You Cannot Win" is tentatively due before the end of the year. But during an interview with Phil Labonte on the Jasta Show, Phil stated that the new forthcoming record will more than likely be released in January.
On November 14, 2014, Phil Labonte announced that he released a new song from the new album, the song ended up being entitled "No Knock" which will be released officially in digital stores on November 24, 2014. On November 20, Phil Labonte announced via Facebook that the new album title is "The Order of Things", which will be released on February 24, 2015 via Razor & Tie.
All That Remains' newest and first official single, "This Probably Won't End Well", will hit airwaves and iTunes, January 13, 2015.
Influences and musical style
The band's music has featured and has been classified under musical styles like melodic death metal, melodic metalcore, heavy metal metalcore, and death metal. All That Remains' music mixes "crushing" riffs, dual guitar harmonies, double bass drum patterns and breakdowns that one can expect from the metalcore genre. Vocally, band combines both singing along with screaming and growls.
|“||We are a modern metal band, is really the best way to say it, you know. Because we've got solos, we've got harmonies, we've got some of the kind of breakdown-y. But, I mean, if you look at us as a metalcore band and then you look at, say, you know, Hatebreed as a metalcore band, which a lot of people say Hatebreed is a metalcore band because they've got some sort of metal-y riffs. But it's like we sound nothing alike.||”|
However, the band's guitarist Mike Martin has rejected the "metalcore" label saying:
|“||Yeah, we’re not Christian and we’re not metalcore, so tell the people on the message board to stop calling us that." Mike has mentioned on numerous occasions, one of his biggest influences is John Mayer.||”|
In an interview with Crypticrock, Mike Martin stated about their musical style:
|“||We’ve always wanted to have a lot of different kind of metal songs whether it was a ballad, fast song, or death metal song. We’ve always been capable of doing every kind of song. We’ve always just done it no matter what the repercussions were because you know you are always going to get backlash. If you are going to write a record that is really heavy, and on the next record you have a ballad, people are going to get pissed. We never really look too much into it, we just wanted to do it, and so we pretty much did it."||”|
The band's influences include, In Flames, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Pantera, Soilwork, At The Gates, King Diamond, Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, Hatebreed, Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, Grave, Arch Enemy, Biohazard, Cave In, Coalesce, Agnostic Front, and Earth Crisis. Oli Herbert has stated his biggest influence on guitar is Andy LaRocque of King Diamond. Also, he's mentioned he draws a lot of influence from George Lynch, John Sykes, and Randy Rhoads
|“||I fell in love with the whole glam world. And then like death metal too, Cannibal Corpse…it’s very wide range of what people like, you know, Justin Timberlake…all that stuff.”||”|
He mentioned via Twitter and Facebook that he is a huge fan of Bring Me The Horizon, and The Acacia Strain. He also is known for being a huge fans of non-metal acts such as: Sarah McLachlan, Garth Brooks, Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, Carly Rae Jepsen, and Skrillex.
In an interview with Blabbermouth.net, Labonte stated:
|“||It's well documented that we like cheesy pop music. There's pictures of me wearing Fall Out Boy shirts! I listen to Prince, and everyone knows that Mike and I love Nickelback, and everyone is always listening to Dr. Dre, or Snoop Dogg, or Eminem, or Jay-Z, or just pop music! That song Fergilicious is the new "hit" for All That Remains, it's the song we want to hear. Just a lot of garbage pop. It's kind of a joke because it's the stuff we like, and it's the stuff we want to hear, but we play it for everybody. So, it probably does come through, and it's something that we're aware of, and we're cool with it. If we can make songs that make sense as metal songs, and All That Remains songs, so why not let your influences come into it, just so long as it doesn't get hokey, or it doesn't hurt the song. You don't want to make a song "do something," you kind of want to let it go its own way. If it fits and works, then it fits and works, and if it doesn't work, you can't make it work or force it to work. We just go with what we think sounds good, and what feels right to us."||”|
- Studio albums
- Behind Silence and Solitude (2002)
- This Darkened Heart (2004)
- The Fall of Ideals (2006)
- Overcome (2008)
- For We Are Many (2010)
- A War You Cannot Win (2012)
- The Order of Things (2015)
- "All That Remains - discography, line-up, biography, interviews, photos".
- "Philip Labonte's Biography - Last.fm". Retrieved 2010-02-27.
- "ATR - Behind Silence and Solitude". Archived from the original on 4 April 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-27.
- "Review of All That Remains - Overcome on Way Too Loud!". September 16, 2008.
- "All That Remains Enters Billboard Chart At No. 75". Blabbermouth.net. July 19, 2006.
- "All That Remains 'The Fall of Ideals' Album Breaks 100,000 in U.S. Sales". Blabbermouth.net. June 20, 2007.
- "GER, Wacken - Wacken Open Air 2007 - Metal Storm".
- "All That Remains - Discography". allthatremainsonline.com. November 30, 2007. Archived from the original on 26 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-10.[dead link]
- "All That Remains Tour". January 28, 2008. Retrieved 2010-02-27.
- "All That Remains: In Pre-Production Mode". Blabbermouth. 2008-05-05. Retrieved 2008-09-29.
- "All That Remains - Overcome - Latest News". allthatremainsonline.com. September 17, 2008. Retrieved April 10, 2009.
- "All That Remains - Overcome - Latest News". allthatremainsonline.com. October 2, 2008. Retrieved April 10, 2009.
- "All That Remains". allthatremainsonline.com. March 16, 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- "All That Remains". allthatremainsonline.com. January 30, 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- "Mayhem Festival 2009". January 27, 2009. Retrieved 2010-02-27.
- "Philip Labonte (philthatremains) on Twitter". April 12, 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-13.
- "All That Remains". Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- "ATR Drummer Jason Costa unable to play Rockstar Mayhem Fest due to broken hand". July 1, 2009.
- "All That Remains Hitting The Studio For New Album".
- "ALL THAT REMAINS Working With ADAM DUTKIEWICZ On New Album".re
- "All That Remains Set Release Date For New Album".
- "All That Remains & The Devil Wears Prada announce tour". Retrieved 2009-09-28.
- "ATR "Forever in Your Hands" Video Released". October 7, 2009. Retrieved 2010-02-27.
- "All That Remains- Hold On". Metal CallOut. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- "Building Album Sales Chart". HITS Daily Double. Retrieved 2011-07-06.
- Behind Silence and Solitude at AllMusic
- "All That Remains". Allmusic. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- "Overcome - All That Remains". Allmusic.
- "All That Remains at Piere's on Friday Dec 21st, 7:30pm".
- "A War You Cannot Win - All That Remains". Allmusic. November 6, 2012.
- "All That Remains - A War You Cannot Win (2012)". I Am Tuned Up. 4 November 2012.
- "Top Metalcore Albums of All Time". Thrash Magazine. 2 December 2012.
- "'New Wave Of American Heavy Metal' Book Documents Over 600 Bands". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved April 27, 2008. "The book features over 600 bands, including: 3 Inches of Blood, A Life Once Lost, Alkaline Trio, All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, Between the Buried and Me, Biohazard, Black Label Society, Bleeding Through, Bury the Dead, Byzantine, Cannae, Candiria, Cave In, Chimaira, Cky, Coalesce, Converge, Crisis, Damageplan, Darkest Hour, Devildriver, Diecast, Down, Drowning Pool, Eighteen Visions, Every Time I Die, From a Second Story Window, Glassjaw, God Forbid, Hatebreed, High on Fire, If Hope Dies, Ion Dissonance, Killswitch Engage, Kittie, Lamb of God, Machine Head, Martyr A.D., Mastodon, Misery Signals, Most Precious Blood, Neurosis, Norma Jean, Otep, Overcast, Pantera, Poison the Well, Premonitions of War, Pro-Pain, Rise Against, Remembering Never, Shadows Fall, Slipknot, Society 1, Still Remains, Strapping Young Lad, Stuck Mojo, Superjoint Ritual, Terror, The Acacia Strain, The Blamed, The Black Dahlia Murder, The Dillinger Escape Plan, The Red Chord, Throwdown, Trivium, Unearth, Winter Solstice, Zao and many, many more."
- "Interview With Phil Labonte of All That Remains". Metal Underground. 31 March 2005.
- "All That Remains : Interview". Mishmash Magazine. 20 July 2009.
- "BANDS BREAKING AWAY AND VANS BREAKING DOWN: An Interview with Phil Labonte of ALL THAT REMAINS". Retrieved 2012-11-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to All That Remains.|