All Things Fall Apart
|All Things Fall Apart|
Poster with working title Things Fall Apart
|Directed by||Mario Van Peebles|
|Produced by||Randall Emmett|
|Written by||Curtis Jackson
Brian A Miller
Mario Van Peebles
|Music by||Tree Adams|
All Things Fall Apart is a 2011 American drama film starring Ray Liotta, 50 Cent, Mario Van Peebles, and Lynn Whitfield. It was filmed in Michigan and premiered at the Miami International Film Festival.
Deon is a football player who suffers a deadly disease. However, despite receiving love and praise for his entire life due to his athletic ability, he is still a good person who loves his family and is willing to share the glory on the football field. His mother Bee is incredibly proud, his younger brother Sean is understandably jealous, and Bee’s boyfriend/Deon’s surrogate father Eric sees the football star as a winning lottery ticket. Even though Deon is fighting cancer he still tries to finish what he started.
Controversy over film title
The movie was produced under the same title as Chinua Achebe's 1958 novel Things Fall Apart. After being contacted by Achebe's legal team, 50 Cent offered $1 million to keep the title Things Fall Apart for the film. The author of the 1958 novel took this as an insult. The foundation that manages Achebe's copyrights said: "The novel with the said title was initially produced in 1958. It is listed as the most-read book in modern African literature, and won't be sold for even £1 billion." The film was renamed to All Things Fall Apart.
50 Cent, who based his character on a childhood friend who died of cancer, lost up to 54 pounds in order to accurately portray his emaciated character, dropping from "214 pounds to 160 in nine weeks after liquid dieting and running on a treadmill three hours a day" according to the Associated Press.
- Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson as Deon
- Ray Liotta as Dr. Brintall
- Bivian Ramey as Eric
- Lynn Whitfield as Bee
- Ambyr Childers as Sherry
- Elizabeth Rodriguez as Mrs. Lopez
- Tracey Heggins as Sharon
- Steve Eastin
- Mike P as June
- Corey Large as Paramedic Adam
- Cedric Sanders as Sean
- Brian A. Miller as Steven
- Hamzah Saman as Nurse
- Alara Ceri as Denise (as Alara Cerikci)
- Diane Witter as Woman Buying Car
- Jana Veldheer as Bar Patron
- LaTunya A. Coleman (All white celebration scene)
- Michaels, Sean (14 September 2011). "Chinua Achebe forces 50 Cent to rename movie". The Guardian. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "50 Cent Loses Battle With Nigerian Novelist Chinua Achebe Over The Title 'Things Fall Apart'". The Huffington Post. 14 September 2011. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- Associated Press (05/28/10 05:51 PM ET). "50 Cent's Weight Loss DETAILS: How He Did It, How Far He Went". Huffington Post.