All We Grow
|All We Grow|
|Studio album by S. Carey|
|Released||August 24, 2010|
|Recorded||2008 - 2010|
|S. Carey chronology|
|Singles from All We Grow|
All We Grow is the debut album of S. Carey. The album was recorded over a period of two years at Carey's home and at Justin Vernon's studio during breaks from touring with Bon Iver. Carey has cited Justin Vernon, Megafaun, Bowerbirds, A.A. Bondy, Collections of Colonies of Bees, Feist, and Sigur Rós as some of his major inspirations for All We Grow.
Carey, who graduated from University of Wisconsin–Eau Claire with a performance degree in classical percussion, makes use of myriad instruments in this album. Alongside the drums, guitar, and piano, one can hear oboe, timpani, viola, xylophone, upright bass, flute, and saxophone.
The Allmusic review by Ned Raggett awarded the album 3.5 stars stating "If anything, All We Grow further suggests an Upper Midwest of the mind, with the Wisconsin-based Carey creating pieces like "Move" and "In the Dirt" that aren't so much songs as ambient meditation as they are songs as quietly dramatic atmospherics -- one almost wants to imagine the album being the sonic setting for a movie or a short story with fresh snow against a slate-gray sky. Meanwhile, the hints of the obsessive minimalism drawing on his educational background can readily be heard in the brisk, immediate piano parts of "We Fell" and "In the Stream," where the rhythms are provided by keys rather than drums (themselves notable for their near complete absence from the album, though the percussive touches on "Action" add much to the song's building conclusion)... It's also nice to hear vocals like Carey's, which gently suggest a Brian Wilson sense of harmonizing instead of fully pushing the point -- refreshing given so many of Carey's compatriots in indie-leaning rock music. ".
All tracks by S. Carey
|3.||"In the Dirt"||5:19|
|7.||"In the Stream"||5:11|
|8.||"All We Grow"||4:39|
|10.||"Leave" (Bonus Track)||4:30|
- Nick Ball – guitar, percussion
- Jeremy Boettcher – electric bass, upright bass
- S. Carey – guitar, instrumentation, mixing, percussion, piano, vibraphone, vocals
- Shannon Carey – vocals
- Jaime Hansen – engineer, mixing
- Aaron Hedenstrom – clarinet, woodwind
- Brian Joseph – engineer, mixing
- Ben Lester – pedal steel
- Daniel Murphy – design
- Mike Noyce – viola
- Roger Seibel – mastering
- Chris Thomson – bass clarinet, woodwind
- Cameron Wittig – photography
- "In The Dirt (Single)". itunes.apple.com. 2010-07-23. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- The Independent review
- musicOMH review
- Pitchfork Media review
- PopMatters review
- Slant Magazine review
- Raggett, N. Allmusic Review accessed , 2011
- "First Listen: S. Carey, 'All We Grow'". NPR. 2010-08-15. Archived from the original on 11 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-04.
- "S. Carey Q&A". Live Buzz. 2010-09-19. Retrieved 2010-10-04.
- "All We Grow Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More". Metacritic. Archived from the original on 2 September 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-04.
- "S. Carey: All We Grow". PopMatters. 2010-08-23. Archived from the original on 25 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-04.
- "S. Carey - All We Grow (staff review)". Sputnikmusic. 2010-08-21. Archived from the original on 29 August 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-04.
- "The Tallest Man on Earth + S. Carey: 27.Sep.2010 - New York". PopMatters. 2010-10-04. Archived from the original on 6 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-04.
- "The Tallest Man On Earth and S. Carey capture Chicago (9/22)". Consequence of Sound. 2010-09-23. Archived from the original on 26 September 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-04.