Veerabrahmendra swamy temple at kalikamatha Temple premises in Allagadda
|• M P||Sri S P Y Reddy|
|• M L A||Smt Bhuma Shobha Nagi Reddy|
|• Total||6 km2 (2 sq mi)|
|Elevation||166.5 m (546.3 ft)|
|• Density||5,000/km2 (13,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||AP 21XX XXXX|
Allagadda is situated on the bank of river Vakkileru. It is located 118 km from Kurnool, heading to Kadapa. Allagadda is on Rayalaseema Express Highway. The highway was transformed into four lanes. The famous Temple Tirupathi is 228 km from there. The nearest railway station is Nandyal.
Allagadda was initially named Avulagadda (Avula means cows and Gadda means place). It was so named because there were once a large number of cows in the area. While the people called it "Aavulagadda", the British understood it as "Allagadda" and so the name was understood as Allagadda. Allagadda is famous for stone art (sculpture) and Daru shilpam (wooden sculpture) in India. The traditional sculptors from this town are Mahasilpi Durugadda Balaveerachri (1926–1986), who won the award in First world Telugu conferences in 1975, and facilitated in Andhra Pradesh Rajatotsav celebrations in 1983. Another famous traditional sculptor was Durugadda Ramachari (1935–2008) who served as professor in Telugu University.
The main contribution of Allagadda traditional sculptors are mainly Mahanandi Ramalayam (the ceiling in the mandapa and garbhagriha the exceptional work of art of them), Srisailam Bhramarambha gudi, Chagalamarry Ammavarisala, Ramalayam at Brahamgari Matam (situated in Kadapa District) etc., in almost all those places you can find their portraits carved on the pillars by themselves, their tradition was of Vijayanagara style. There are so many chances for development in stones industries and sculpting is one of the great art of Allagadda but no one is trying to give the assistance for the people who are living on this art. Currently around 60 firms are in the sculpture carving industry and growing more.
the current major project of Allagadda sculptors is Buddhavanam at Nagarjuansagar, this project is based on Amaravathi stupa and sculpture. this is the biggest project ever done from Allagadda sculptors.
Ahobilam is one of the most famous historic temples Lord Narasimha Swami Temple which is very near to Allagadda (22 km approximately). There are two Ahobilams, one is Lower Ahobilam and other is Higher Ahobilam which is located 8 km from Lower Ahobilam. The god is in a cave and very beautiful place to visit.
Allagadda is mostly known to the Telugu people as Bombula Gadda (bombs' place) as it was very notorious for factional fights. Clashes between political parties often resulted in throwing bombs at each other (in 1970–1995). These bombs were country made and were called natu bombulu (hand-made bombs). YSR Congress Party deputy floor leader Shobha Nagi Reddy died in a road accident.
Allagadda is an assembly constituency in Andhra Pradesh.
- 1955 - Chintakuntla Pedda Timma Reddy (Indian National Congress) (As SIRIVELLA MLA) (3-3-1955 to 1-3-1962) (2555 Days)
- 1962 - Sitiri Jayaraj (SC) (Indian National Congress) (03-03-1962 to 28.02.1967) (1823 Days)
- 1967 - Gangula Timma Reddy (Independent) (01-03-1967 to 14-03-1972)
- 1972 - Somula Venkat Subba Reddy ([Independent) (14-03-1972 to 01-03-1978)
- 1978 - Gangula Timma Reddy (Independent)(05-03-1978 to 1979) (2487 Days)
- 1980 - Gangula Pratap Reddy (Indian National Congress I) (1979 to 07-01-1983) (By Election)
- 1983 - Somula Venkta Subba Reddy (Telugu Desam Party) (08-01-1983 to 23-11-1984) (2863 Days)
- 1985 - Gangula Pratap Reddy (Indian National Congress) (08-03-1985 to 28-11-1989)
- 1989 - Bhuma Veera Sekhar Reddy (Telugu Desam Party) (30-11-1989 to 07-07-1991) (584 Days)
- 1992 - Bhuma Venkata Nagi Reddy (Telugu Desam Party) (By Election) (1-2-92 to 10-12-94)
- 1994 - Bhuma Venkata Nagi Reddy (Telugu Desam Party) (12-12-94 to 15-10-96) (1716 Days)
- 1997 - Bhuma Shobha Nagi Reddy (Telugu Desam Party) (By Election) (DOE : 6.2.1997, DOC : 8.2.1997])
- 1999 - Bhuma Shoba Nagi Reddy (Telugu Desam Party [DOE : 5.9.1999, DOC : 6.10.1999])
- 2004 - Gangula Prathap Reddy (Indian National Congress[DOE : 26.4.2004, DOC : 11.5.2004])(4596 Days)
- 2009 - Bhuma Shoba Nagi Reddy (Praja Rajyam Party)
- 2012 - Bhuma Shoba Nagi Reddy (YSR Congress Party)(By Election [DOE : 12.6.2012, DOC : 15.6.21012])
1 ALFA Engineering College and Technology (on NH18 Highway) 2 Sri Ankala Reddy Memorial College of Education 3 Sri Ankala Reddy Memorial degree College(AIDED) (Shaik kareemulla&N NavakanthReddy 2007 Batch) 4 K.V.Subba Reddy Degree College (B.Ed. college well known in and around the place).
Allagadda is known place for traditional vishwabrahmana stone and wood sculptors. Allagadda sculptors are credited for being the chief sculptors of many famous temples around the world. Allagadda also, hosts one of the ancient and most powerful temples of kurnool (Dt), Shri kalikamatha temple. Shri kalikamatha temple located at Vishwarupanagar in Allagadda. The temple is spread across an acre of land and is regarded as the powerful goddess by the devotees.
- "Census 2011". The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- "Rise and Fall of Allagadda" by Guru Venkatesh
- "Allagadda: Heaven on Earth" by Guru Venkatesh