Allan B. Calhamer
|Allan B. Calhamer|
December 7, 1931|
|Died||February 25, 2013
La Grange, Illinois
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
|Occupation||Game Designer, mail carrier, researcher|
|Known for||inventing the board game Diplomacy|
Gordon Leavitt, a childhood friend of Calhamer's recounted how, when they were boys in La Grange Park, Illinois, he and Calhamer "discovered in the attic a geography book that showed a map of Europe before World War I with the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the old boundaries."  Years later, Calhamer put the memory to good use. He received his bachelor's degree from Harvard University in 1953. In 1954, while enrolled at Harvard Law School, he developed a game of strategy and alliances that put seven players in control of the major powers of the pre-World War I era. Although he did not complete law school, his prototype game, still unpublished, was part of the reason that Sylvania hired him in 1958 to do operations research.
In 1959, Calhamer published his game as Diplomacy and printed 500 copies. After selling all of them in six months, he licensed the game to a publisher. Over the years, Diplomacy has been published in North America by Games Research, Avalon Hill, and Hasbro, and has been published in several different languages in other nations by various publishers. Calhamer's original face-to-face board game has also been played by mail since 1963. More recently, there are internet Diplomacy games, games run through email or in online games with a human game master.
Calhamer wrote a book, Calhamer on Diplomacy: The Boardgame "Diplomacy" and Diplomatic History, but the game did not provide him with a living. In the 1990s he retired from working as a mail carrier and lived his last years in La Grange Park. 
Articles written by Calhamer
- Military Intelligence (1960)
- On Strengthening the hand of Austria-Hungary (1960)
- The Tactics of Diplomacy (1961)
- A Dozen Years of Diplomacy (1966)
- On the Play of Postal Diplomacy by Allan Calhamer (1966)
- The Invention of Diplomacy (1974)
- Across the Whole Board (1974)
- Objectives Other Than Winning (1974)
- Introduction to Diplomacy (1975)
- The Coast of Moscow
- Calhamer on Diplomacy: The Boardgame "Diplomacy" and Diplomatic History (1999)
- Articles by Allan B. Calhamer at Diplomacy-Archive.com
- 2009 profile of Calhamer at chicagomag.com
- "United States Social Security Death Index," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KXZZ-88P : accessed 11 Mar 2013), Allan B Calhamer, 25 February 2013.
- March 1, 2013 11:02PM. "Allan B. Calhamer, inventor of board game Diplomacy, dies at 81 - Chicago Sun-Times". Suntimes.com. Retrieved 2013-03-02.
- "World Domination: the Game". washingtonpost.com. 2004-11-14. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- McClelland, Edward. "All in the Game - Chicago magazine - May 2009 - Chicago". Chicagomag.com. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- Kates, Joan Giangrasse. "Calhamer Obituary". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2013-03-03.