Allan J. Kuethe
|Allan James Kuethe|
February 1, 1940 |
Waverly, Bremer County
|Alma mater||University of Florida|
Professor of Latin American studies at Texas Tech University
|Children||John C. Kuethe
Jennifer K. Alameda
Allan R. Kuethe
Christian F. Kuethe
Allan James Kuethe (born February 1, 1940) is an American historian specializing in Latin American studies. He is a distinguished Paul Whitfield Horn professor at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, Texas, an honor named for the first president of Texas Tech. Kuethe is the first in the history department honored with a Horn professorship since Ernest Wallace, an authority on the history of Texas. Kuethe (pronounced KEY THEE) is also a former chairperson of the Texas Tech history department.
Originally from Waverly in Bremer County in northeastern Iowa, Kuethe in 1962 obtained his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Iowa at Iowa City. He then enrolled in graduate school at the University of Florida at Gainesville, Florida, where he received his Master of Arts in 1963 and his Ph.D. in 1967. Kuethe joined the Texas Tech faculty in 1967 and has taught both Latin America history and the history of western civilization. He has also instructed outreach and distance education courses. Kuethe also helped to establish the Texas Tech University Center in Seville in Seville, Spain.
Kuethe's most recent[when?] work is Military Reform and Society in New Granada, 1773-1808, published by the American Council of Learned Societies. In 1986, Kuethe published Cuba, 1753-1815: Crown, Military, and Society. He took faculty leave in the 1983-1984 academic year to do research in Spain. He also conducted lengthy research in Colombia. He wrote the chapter "The Colonial Commercial Policy of Philip V and the Atlantic World" in the book Latin America and the Atlantic World.
- "Allan J. Kuethe: RealVoters Pinpoint Voters and Votes in Lubbock, TX". voterfactory.com. Retrieved November 6, 2010.
- "Hemispheric Freedom Symposium, September 21–22, 2010". freedomsymposium.com. Retrieved November 6, 2010.
- "Texas Tech University Teaching Faculty". depts.ttu.edu. Retrieved November 16, 2012.
- "History 2B". depts.ttu.edu. Retrieved November 6, 2010.
- Military Reform and Society in New Granada, 1973-1898. American Council of Learned Societies, August 1, 2008, 246 pp., ISBN 1-59740-705-4. Retrieved November 2, 2010.
- Cuba, 1753-1815: Crown, Military, and Society. University of Tennessee Press, 1986, 213 pp., ISBN 0-87049-487-2. Retrieved November 2, 2010.
- Renate Pieper and Horst Pietschmann, Latin America and the Atlantic World. Bohlau Verlog GmbH & Cie, Germany, 2005, ISBN 3-412-26705-8. Retrieved November 6, 2010.
- People Search and Background Check, Internet