Allan R. Thieme
||An automated process has detected links on this page on the local or global blacklist.|
|Allan R. Thieme|
Al Thieme giving a tour of the Amigo facilities
April 5, 1937 |
Born in Bridgeport, Michigan, Thieme grew up in rural Michigan and started a plumbing and heating business at the age of 22. When he was 30, Thieme invented the Amigo in his garage during the evening, while working by day as a plumber running his plumbing and heating business. He built the Amigo for a family member who was experiencing loss of mobility due to multiple sclerosis. At the age of 31, he started Amigo Mobility International Inc.
Thieme has also been involved in a variety of community groups. From 1972 - 1974 he served as Chairman of the Saginaw Valley Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, and from 1974 - 1976 he was a Board Member for the Michigan State Chapter. From 1995 - 1998, he served on Northwest Airlines Disability Awareness Advisory Board.
Today, Thieme is Chairman and Founder of Amigo Mobility, a private company that is completely family-owned.
- 1974 Distinguished Service Award, Saginaw Valley MS Society
- 1981 National Small Businessman of the Year Award 
- 1981 Michigan Small Businessman of the Year Award
- 2012 Michigan Manufacturer of the Year (Michigan Manufacturing Association)
- 2012 Samuel H. Shaheen Vision of Free Enterprise Award
e.Reference: www.myamigo.com; Congressional Record-Senate, S18836, November 4, 1977
- Congressional Record-Senate, S18836, November 4, 1977