Allen, South Dakota
|Allen, South Dakota|
|Bennett County and the state of South Dakota|
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|• Total||3.9 sq mi (10.2 km2)|
|• Land||3.9 sq mi (10.2 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|• Density||107.7/sq mi (41.2/km2)|
Allen is a census-designated place in Bennett County, South Dakota. As of the 2010 census, the CDP had a population of 420. It is considered the poorest place in the United States. It is one of two settlements which are closest to the North American continental pole of inaccessibility.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 3.9 square miles (10 km2), all of it land.
Allen has been assigned the ZIP code 57714.
As of 2010 Allen had a population of 420. There were 81 households.
As of the census of 2000, there were 419 people, 80 households, and 70 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 106.8 people per square mile (41.3/km²). There were 87 housing units at an average density of 22.2/sq mi (8.6/km²).
There were 80 households out of which 62.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 21.3% were married couples living together, 50.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 12.5% were non-families. 10.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 1.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 5.24 and the average family size was 5.51. In the CDP the population was spread out with 50.4% under the age of 18, 13.8% from 18 to 24, 21.5% from 25 to 44, 12.2% from 45 to 64, and 2.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 18 years. For every 100 females there were 99.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.1 males.
Race and ethnicity
As of 2010 the racial makeup was 96.4% Native American, 3.3% white and 0.2% of two races. 1.0% of the population was Hispanic or Latino of any race.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $7,578, and the median income for a family was $3,819. Individual workers had a median income of $12,188. The per capita income for the CDP was $1,539. About 95.9% of families and 96.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 97.1% of those under age 18 and 100.0% of those age 65 or over.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File". American FactFinder. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- Garcia-Castellanos, D.; U. Lombardo (2007). "Poles of Inaccessibility: A Calculation Algorithm for the Remotest Places on Earth". Scottish Geographical Journal 123 (3): 227–233. doi:10.1080/14702540801897809. Retrieved 2008.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- 2010 general profile of population and housing chractateristics of Allen from the US census