Previously he was interim CEO of the Port Authority of Allegheny County in 1996-1997. After his service as Secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, Biehler was appointed a Distinguished Service Professor of Transportation Systems and Policy at the Heinz College at Carnegie Mellon University and Executive Director of CMU’s University Transportation Center. He is also an Adjunct Professor in the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department in the Carnegie Institute of Technology at Carnegie Mellon University.
Biehler received his B.S. in Civil Engineering at the University of Pittsburgh and his Certificate in Highway Transportation at Yale University.
Allen Biehler was a Secretary of the Pennsylvania Department Transportation for eight years.He is a registered professional engineer in Pennsylvania. He was an advocate for highway funding. It lead to him becoming head of an organization that was in charge of highway systems and it also "administered one of the nation’s largest grant programs for mass transit, rail freight, and aviation." He also developed named a program named "Smart Transportation." This program did the following:
- streamlined/stabilized the Commonwealth’s transit program
- accelerated PennDOT’s highway project delivery processes
- ensured that highway projects became assets for the surrounding community.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, University of Pittsburgh Civil and Environmental Engineering, 1997.
- William Metcalf Award for Outstanding Engineering Achievement, Engineers Society of Western Pennsylvania, 2004.
- Transportation Person of the Year, The Traffic Club of Philadelphia, 2009.
- Friend of Pennsylvania Award, 10,000 Friends of Pennsylvania, 2010.
- Service to Humanity Award, March of Dimes of Pennsylvania, 2010.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 1967 and a Certificate in Highway Transportation (Masters equivalent), Yale University, New Haven CT 1968
- "Allen D. Biehler - Secretary of Transportation". Governor's Cabinet Officials. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- "Allen D. Biehler Distinguished Service Professor of Transportation Systems and Policy". Heinz College. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
|Port Authority of Allegheny County CEO
1996 – 1997
|This article about a Pennsylvania politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about transportation in Pennsylvania is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|