Allen D. Nease High School
|Allen D. Nease High School|
|10550 Ray Road
Ponte Vedra, Florida, 32081
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||We are Nease|
|School district||St. Johns County School District|
|Superintendent||Joseph G. Joyner|
|Dean||Bernie Blue and Jack Laverty|
|Vice principal||Nicole Lynch and Latasha Bowens|
|Enrollment||1,619 (2013-2014) |
Allen D. Nease High School is a public high school in the St. Johns County School District, located in Ponte Vedra, Florida that was established in 1981. The school is a member of the International Baccalaureate program. The principal is Kyle Dresback.
Nease High School is named after Allen Nease, a pioneer in Florida's reforestation efforts, and donor of the land on which the school was built. Nease also served on the St. Johns County School Board for 24 years, 17 of which as chairman. Top 25 of any given class is given a chairman spot at the start of the year.
Growth in the northeast corner of St. Johns County, primarily the in the Ponte Vedra Beach/Palm Valley areas during the 1970s had warranted the construction of a new school. The school, which opened in 1984, is the second public high school built in St. Johns County. The school first opened as a Junior/Senior High School, but as the growth of Northwest St. Johns County rose the school eliminated it's Junior high sector. Nease was originally designed to accommodate up to 1,500 students, however, enrollment has historically been at above capacity. Bartram Trail High School opened in the Fall of 2000 to alleviate overcrowding. Due to the continual growth in Northwest St. Johns County area, Ponte Vedra High School was built and opened in the Fall of 2008.
Nease High School is currently zoned to serve the communities of Ponte Vedra, Town of Nocatee, World Golf Village, and Orangedale. The main feeder school is Pacetti Bay Middle School, while other students come from Alice B. Landrum Middle School or Fruit Cove Middle School.
Special programs at the school include the following:
- Communications Academy
- Naval Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (NJROTC)
- Stellar Academy of Engineering (sponsored by the Stellar construction company)
- International Baccalaureate
- Advanced Placement Program
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (June 2013)|
Nease currently competes in FHSAA Class 5A. The mascot is the panther and the school colors are green and gold.
The Nease Panthers football team were FHSAA Class 4A State Champions in 2005.
The boys team were Class 4A State Champions for the years 1995, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2001, and 2007.
The girls team were Class 4A State Champions in 2002, 2005, 2006, and 2008.
The boys team were Class 4A State Champions in 2007 and 2008.
The Nease volleyball team were Class 4A State Champions in 2008.
The boys team was Class 3A State Champions in 2002.
The girls team was Class 5A State Champions in 1999, led by Kelly Stevenson.
- Tim Tebow, (played football, basketball, and baseball for the school, was homeschooled) professional football player
- Len Mattiace, professional golfer
- Jeff Klauk, professional golfer
- Ben Nowland, professional arena football player (Grand Rapids Rampage)
- Nathan Sturgis, professional soccer player (Houston Dynamo)
- Alicia Fox, former WWE Divas Champion
- "St. Johns County School District - Media Release: Opening Day Student Count". Stjohns.k12.fl.us. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- New Principal Appointments
- Trulia Real Estate database[dead link]
- "America's Top Public High Schools - Newsweek and The Daily Beast". Newsweek.com. 2009-06-07. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "America's Best High Schools: The List - Newsweek and The Daily Beast". Newsweek.com. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- Len Mattiace page at PGA Tour website[dead link]
- Jeff Klauk page at PGA Tour website[dead link]
- Ben Nowland page at Arena Football League website[dead link]
- Nathan Sturgis[dead link]
- Nease High School
- Nease "Panther Pride" Band
- Nease Athletics
- Nease Football
- St. Johns County School District
- Great Schools - Allen D Nease Senior High School
- Schools Data - Allen D Nease Senior High School