Dr. Allen Hershkowitz is a Senior Scientist at the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), where he champions environmental responsibility. In 2009, Yoga + Joyful Living  magazine dubbed him “The Godfather of Greening.” Since joining NRDC in 1988, Dr. Hershkowitz has worked toward large-scale change in the areas of recycling, mountaintop removal coal mining, paper industry impacts, waste incineration, sustainable development and medical wastes.
Greening of Cultural Icons
In recent years, Dr. Hershkowitz has helped iconic American organizations—including professional sports leagues and major record labels—go green. He helped lead the greening of the 2007-2010 Academy Awards, and the 50th, 51st and 52nd Grammy Awards. He earned the United States Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) 2008 Environmental Merit Award  for his role in the greening of Major League Baseball (MLB), the National Basketball Association (NBA), the U.S. Tennis Association (USTA)  and the National Hockey League (NHL). Dr. Hershkowitz is a member of the steering committees of the Green Sports Alliance and Broadway Greening Alliance, which he helped establish. He is also a member of the 2011 NCAA Final Four Sustainability Committee.
Dr. Hershkowitz has advised corporations including DuPont, Hugo Neu and Sims Metal Management in their sustainability efforts. His successes include protecting nature in Belize, Appalachian ranges threatened by mountaintop removal coal mining  and the boreal forests. Dr. Hershkowitz was a leader in negotiating NRDC’s 2006 forestry protection settlement with Bowater Paper Company  , which led to large-scale protections of the Cumberland Plateau. He was also an originator of NRDC’s “Testing the Waters”, an annual documentation of beach closures.
As an expert on environmental issues, Dr. Hershkowitz has authored numerous publications including Bronx Ecology: A Blueprint for a New Environmentalism (Island Press, 2002). In 2011, he contributed an essay titled "Life is God's Masterpiece" to the J. Henry Fair book The Day After Tomorrow: Images of Our Earth in Crisis (powerHouse Books, 2011). From 2006-2008, he was on the editorial board of OnEarth magazine. Other projects he has authored include Waste Incineration & Public Health (National Academy Press: Washington, D.C., Dec. 2002), Too Good to Throw Away: Recycling's Proven Record (New York, NRDC, 1997), Garbage: Practices, Problems and Remedies (New York: INFORM, 1988), Garbage Management in Japan (New York: INFORM, 1987) and Garbage Burning: Lessons from Europe (New York: INFORM, 1986).
- http://anywherebutacubicle.com/pdfs/Hershkowitz.pdf Yoga + Joyful Living, Fall 2009, “The Godfather of Greening,” By Anna Dubrovsky
- http://environment.about.com/od/environmentalevents/a/academy_awards.htm About.com, By Larry West
- http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/greenspace/2011/02/stepping-out-onto-the-100-post-consumer-waste-recycled-red-carpet.html LA Times, Greenspace Blog, By Susan Carpenter
- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/laurie-david-and-allen-hershkowitz-phd/ HuffingtonPost.com
- http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080430&content_id=2616746&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb MLB.com, “Phils to lead clean energy movement: By Andy Jasner
- http://www.nba.com/magic/news/green_week_040610.html NBA.com, “Magic Support NBA Green Week 2010”
- http://www.reuse.li/reuse-long-island-blog-long-island-state-of-mind-material-reuse-building-deconstruction-construction-recycling/?Tag=usta Reuse Long Island, “The Reuse Revolution: The U.S. Open You Didn't See” By Amanda Wills
- http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=512477 NHL.com, “Mike Richter goes green with NHL panel at Fenway” By Bob Condor
- http://www.nrdc.org/media/pressreleases/010410a.asp “Victory in Belize”
- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rob-perks/country-stars-come-out-ag_b_355386.html Huffington Post, “Country Stars Come Out Against Mountaintop Removal,” By Rob Perks
- http://www.livinggreenmag.com/archives/climate_nature/toilet_paper.html Living Green Magazine, “Americans Are Flushing Old Growth Forests Down the Toilet” By Richard Kujawski
- http://appvoices.org/2006/03/25/2595/ Appalachian Voices, “Conservationists, Industry Reach Historic Agreement to Protect Forests on the Cumberland Plateau” By Matt Wasson
- http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/ahershkowitz/a_history_of_the_first_testing.html “Testing the Waters” switchboard.nrdc.org