|35th Hydrographer of the United States Navy|
August 30, 1948 – 1950s
|32nd Governor of American Samoa|
February 8, 1944 – January 27, 1945
|Preceded by||John Gould Moyer|
|Succeeded by||Ralph Hungerford|
|Born||July 30, 1899
|Died||23 November 1960
National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland
|Service/branch||United States Navy|
Allen Hobbs (July 30, 1899 – November 23, 1960) was a hydrographer and career officer with the United States Navy. He was assigned as the 32nd Governor of American Samoa from February 8, 1944 to January 27, 1945. In 1948 he was appointed as the Hydographer of the Navy, serving until 1953, when he retired.
Early life and education
Hobbs was born on July 30, 1899 in Lowell, Massachusetts. His mother was a sculptor named Louise (née Allen) Atkins and his father was her first husband, Mr. Hobbs. He grew up with Albert Henry Atkins as his stepfather. His maternal grandfather was Charles Herbert Allen, the first American civilian Governor of Puerto Rico.
He was appointed as the Governor of Samoa. (This position was filled by US Navy commanders from 1905 to 1951.) He served from February 8, 1944 to January 27, 1945. He was succeeded by Ralph Waldo Hungerford.
- Sorensen, Stan; Joseph Theroux (2007). "The Samoan Historical Calendar, 1606-2007". Government of American Samoa. pp. 54; 192; 283. Archived from the original on 27 May 2010. Retrieved 1 May 2010.
- The Monthly Supplement: A Current Biographical Reference Service. A. N. Marquis. 1854/1930 edition. p. 1620. Retrieved 1 May 2010.
- Official Register of the United States. Washington, D.C.: United States Government Printing Office. 1959. p. 216. Retrieved 1 May 2010.
- "Captain Ralph Waldo Hungerford". Government of American Samoa. 2010. Archived from the original on 27 May 2010. Retrieved 1 May 2010.
- Bates, Charles Carpenter; George Hanssen (2005). Hydro to Navoceano: 175 Years of Ocean Survey and Prediction by the U.S. Navy, 1830-2005. Corn Field Press. p. 114. ISBN 0-9774144-0-X. Retrieved 1 May 2010.
- "US Navy Hydrography Is Back!", Hydro International, May 2002, Volume 6, Number 4, accessed 31 October 2013