Allen Township, Michigan
|Allen Township, Michigan|
|• Total||36.3 sq mi (94.0 km2)|
|• Land||36.1 sq mi (93.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||1,073 ft (327 m)|
|• Density||45.2/sq mi (17.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||49227 (Allen),
|GNIS feature ID||1625821|
- The village of Allen is within the township at the junction of US 12 and M-49, and the Allen ZIP code 49227 also serves most of Allen Township.
- The city of Hillsdale is to the east, although the Hillsdale ZIP code 49242 also serves an area of southeast Allen Township.
- The village of Jonesville is to the northeast, although the Jonesville ZIP code 49250 also serves an area in northeast Allen Township.
- The city of Reading is to the south, although the Reading ZIP code 49274 also serves an area of southern Allen Township.
- The village of Quincy is to the west in Branch County, although the Quincy ZIP code 49082 also serves areas in western Allen Township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.3 square miles (94 km2), of which 36.1 square miles (93 km2) is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2) (0.52%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,631 people, 599 households, and 446 families residing in the township. The population density was 45.2 per square mile (17.4/km²). There were 708 housing units at an average density of 19.6 per square mile (7.6/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.98% White, 0.31% African American, 0.49% Native American, 0.12% Asian, 0.06% from other races, and 1.04% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.67% of the population.
There were 599 households out of which 35.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.8% were married couples living together, 5.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.4% were non-families. 21.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.72 and the average family size was 3.16.
In the township the population was spread out with 28.3% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 29.6% from 25 to 44, 22.9% from 45 to 64, and 11.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 103.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.9 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $44,213, and the median income for a family was $47,813. Males had a median income of $32,176 versus $23,203 for females. The per capita income for the township was $17,734. About 5.3% of families and 7.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.1% of those under age 18 and 6.4% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Allen Township, Michigan
- 49227 5-Digit ZCTA, 492 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 49242 5-Digit ZCTA, 492 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 49250 5-Digit ZCTA, 492 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 49274 5-Digit ZCTA, 492 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 49082 5-Digit ZCTA, 490 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census