The Allgäu (pronounced [ˈalɡɔʏ̯]) is a southern German region in Swabia. It covers the south of Bavarian Swabia and southeastern Baden-Württemberg. The region stretches from the prealpine lands up to the Alps. The main rivers flowing through the Allgäu are the Lech and Iller. Allgäu is not an administrative unit.
It is sub-divided into the following regions:
- Oberallgäu (in Bavarian Swabia, in the state of Bavaria)
- Unterallgäu (in Bavarian Swabia, in the state of Bavaria)
- Ostallgäu (in Bavarian Swabia, in the state of Bavaria)
- Westallgäu (mainly in Upper Swabia in the state of Baden-Württemberg, but also a very small part in Bavaria)
The Allgovian area is notable for its beautiful landscapes and is popular for vacations and therapeutic stays. It is well known in Germany for its farm produce, especially dairy products including Hirtenkäse ("herdsman's cheese") and Bergkäse, which is also produced across the borders in Austria and Switzerland. Besides tourism and dairy products, another important economic sector is the building of industrial equipment and machines. Fendt tractors, developed and produced in Marktoberdorf are one of the most famous products of the region.
"Allgovia" is occasionally used as a synonym for the region. The alpine regions of the Allgäu rise over 2,000 metres in altitude and are popular for winter skiing. The world-renowned castle of Neuschwanstein is in the eastern part of the Allgäu.
The Allgäu is dominated in the south by the Allgäu Alps, which are not part of the Allgäu themselves. The Allgäu is formed by mainly glaciers and glacial debris. A lot of hills and lakes are remains of former glaciers.
- Its scenic countryside can been seen in Asmus, C. and Bufe, S. "Dampflokomotiven im Allgau" (1977, Hermann Merker).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Allgäu.|
- Tourist Information
- Füssen im Allgäu (English) multilingual
- Non-commercial Allgäu Information
- Neuschwanstein Castle (English) multilingual
- Allgäu information
- Orchids in Allgäu
- Alpine Club Oy/Allgäu
- Recipes from Allgäu
|This Baden-Württemberg location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Bavaria location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|