|Traded as||NYSE: ATK|
|Industry||Aerospace and Defense|
|Founded||1990, spun off from Honeywell|
|Headquarters||Arlington, Virginia, U.S.|
|Key people||Mark DeYoung, CEO|
|Products||AARGM, M242 Bushmaster, PGK, PEP, and many more|
|Revenue||US$4.84 Billion (FY 2011)|
|Operating income||US$526 Million (FY 2011)|
|Net income||US$313 Million (FY 2011)|
|Total assets||US$4.44 Billion (FY 2011)|
|Total equity||US$1.16 Billion (FY 2011)|
|Divisions||ATK Aerospace Systems
ATK Armament Systems
ATK Missile Products
ATK Security and Sporting
Precision Fuze Company
Alliant Techsystems Inc., Alliant Techsystems Inc., commonly abbreviated ATK, is an aerospace, defense, and sporting goods company with its headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, in the United States. The company operates in 22 states, Puerto Rico, and other countries. ATK had revenues of about US$4.4 billion for 2013.
ATK was formed in 1990 as a subsidiary of Honeywell Inc. as part of Honeywell's plan to exit the defense industry. Under the plan, Honeywell's defense businesses were transferred to ATK which was then spun off to Honeywell stockholders as a separate company.
Mergers and acquisitions
In 1995, ATK entered the aerospace market with the acquisition of the aerospace division of Hercules Inc. Since then ATK has become a supplier of aerospace and defense products to the U.S. government and its allies, and to their contractors.
In 2001, ATK acquired Thiokol, renaming it to ATK Launch Systems in 2006 (though it's still known within the industry by its original name). Thiokol was the sole manufacturer of the reusable Solid Rocket Motor used to launch the NASA Space Shuttle, which is being adapted for NASA’s Space Launch System.
Also in 2001, ATK entered the sporting and law enforcement ammunition market with the acquisition of the ammunition businesses of Blount International.
In 2009, ATK acquired Eagle Industries and in 2010 ATK acquired Blackhawk Industries Products Group Unlimited, LLC, diversifying into the security and law enforcement market.
In 2013, ATK acquired Caliber Company, the parent company of Savage Sports Corporation (Savage), one of the world's largest manufacturers of hunting rifles and shotguns. Later in 2013, ATK acquired Bushnell, an outdoor accessories company with 19 iconic brands that specialize in sports optics, hunting/camping accessories and performance eyewear.
ATK’s Aerospace Group covers space, defense and commercial aerospace products and capabilities. The group offers propulsion for space exploration, commercial launch vehicles and strategic and missile defense. It also specializes in:
- Composite structures for military and commercial aircraft
- [Boeing 787 Dreamliner]]
- Rolls-Royce Trent XWB-97 engine
- F-35 Lightning II (also known as the Joint Strike Fighter)
- Integrated satellite systems
- Satellite components and subsystems
- Military flares and decoys
- Space engineering services
- Propulsion for space exploration, commercial launch vehicles, strategic and missile defines
- Delta IV
- [GEM 60 motors]]
In November 2010, ATK was selected by NASA for potential contracts in heavy lft launch vehicle systems and other propulsion technologies. In 2012, NASA awarded the company a $50 million contract to complete engineering development and risk reduction tests as part of the Advanced Concept Booster Development for the Space Launch System (SLS).
ATK Aerospace is headquartered in Magna, Utah.
ATK’s Defense Group produces ammunition, precision and strike weapons, missile-warning solutions and tactical rocket motors across air, sea and land-based systems.
ATK Defense Group develops products and services for:
- Small-, medium- and large-caliber ammunition
- Anti-radiation homing strike vehicles
- Missile warning and hostile fire detection
- Precision-guided munitions
- Propulsion, advanced fuzing and warheads
- Medium-caliber gun systems
- Missile defense interceptors
- Weaponized ISR special mission aircraft
In 2012 ATK was selected by the US Army to operate and maintain of the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant (LCAAP) in Independence, Mo. The initial term is seven years but if all award terms are exercised, the contracts would cover a ten-year period. ATK began operating the plant in April 2000.
ATK’s Sporting Group offers products under several brands for sport-shooting enthusiasts, police, and military customers around the world. The group provides:
- Traditional center fire and rim fire rifles, and shotguns
- Ammunition for sports, law enforcement, military, and security
- Hunting, shooting sports, and outdoor recreation accessories
- Optics, gun cleaning, targets and range systems
- Tactical accessories for military, law enforcement and security markets
- Gun powder for ammunition and re-loaders
Some of ATK’s most well-known brands are Federal Premium, BLACKHAWK!, Savage, and Bushnell.
As of 2013, ATK’s sporting business accounted for nearly 45 percent of the company’s revenue.
ATK Sporting is headquartered in Anoka, Minnesota.
- Alliant Techsystems (ATK) annual SEC income statement filing via Wikinvest
- Alliant Techsystems (ATK) annual SEC balance sheet filing via Wikinvest
- Company Information. Atk.com (2012-03-31). Retrieved on 2012-07-16.
- "ATK Corporate Overview Websites". ATK Corporate. 2012-10-26.