April 8, 1983
Madras, Tamil Nadu, India
|Residence||Film Nagar, Hyderabad, India|
|Height||5 feet 8 inches (1.73 m)|
|Relatives||Allu Sirish (brother)
Allu Rama Lingaiah (paternal grandfather)
Chiranjeevi (paternal uncle)
Ram Charan Teja (paternal cousin)
Nagendra Babu (paternal 2nd uncle)
Pawan Kalyan (paternal 3rd uncle)
Renu Desai (paternal 3rd aunt)
Allu Arjun (born 8 April 1983) is an Indian film actor known for his work in Telugu cinema. He has won two Filmfare Best Telugu Actor Award for Parugu and Vedam, two Nandi Special Jury Award for Arya and Parugu films won,one CineMAA Award for debut acting film Gangotri. In addition to films, he is currently the brand ambassador for brands like Joy Alukkas and Colgate.He has got fan following in Kerala, and being called as "Mallu Arjun" .
2003–2007 : Early career
After playing minor roles as a child artist in Vijetha and as a Dancer in Daddy, Arjun debuted with K. Raghavendra Rao's directorial Gangotri alongside Aditi Agarwal. The movie did well at the box office, completing 100 Days in 53 Centers. But Arjun received his breakthrough by Sukumar's Romantic Comedy Arya alongside Siva Balaji and Anuradha Mehta. He played the role of Arya, a youngster with lots of attitude and plenty of good heart. His portrayal was well acclaimed by critics. IndiaGlitz commented "Allu Arjun is the revelation of the movie. Be it dance or fights, he really pack a punch. He is full of beans and the director has fully utilized his talents." idlebrain.com commented "With his exceptionally great performance in 'Arya', hero Allu Arjun announces that he is here to stay and to leave a mark of his own." The movie was a Blockbuster at the Box office.
He next starred in V. V. Vinayak's Bunny alongside Gowri Munjal. In this film, Arjun played the role of Bunny, a cool college going student whose main ambition is not as cool as he looks. He won high applause from the critics. idlebrain.com commented "Allu Arjun gave another scintillating performance as Bunny. He is pretty stylish in his mannerisms. His dances are full of energy and verve." This film turned out to be his third consecutive success at the Box office, cementing his position in Telugu cinema. His next film was A. Karunakaran's Musical Love Story Happy alongside Genelia D'Souza. He starred as Bunny, a happy-go-lucky guy working as a pizza delivery boy who lives life for the moment. His performance was well acclaimed. IndiaGlitz wrote "It is Allu Arjun's show all the way. The young man thrust into a challenging role has reveled and revealed his ability. In fun situations he is spontaneous. In emotional ones, especially the one in climax, Allu Arjun is simply splendid. Happy may be the film in which the actor in him seems to have come of age." However, the movie did moderate business at the Box office.
Later on, He starred in Puri Jagannadh's Action Film Desamuduru alongside Hansika Motwani, in which he played the role of Bala Govindam, a fearless journalist who falls with a girl with a darker past. His dances and Performance were well appreciated. IndiaGlitz wrote "Allu Arjun's performance is excellent all through the film. He showed good ease in dances as well as in action scenes. He built his body and did a lot of exercise to get a macho man image. He flexed his muscles in action scenes and they were perfectly captured by cinematographer Shyam K Naidu." He became the first Telugu actor to sport a six-pack. The movie did great business at the Box office. He was also nominated for Filmfare Best Telugu Actor Award.stylist star
After gaining a well-established star status in Telugu and Malayalam Industries due to success of Desamuduru, Allu Arjun started experimenting. His next film after Desamuduru was Bhaskar's critically acclaimed Parugu alongside Sheela. He played the role of Krishna, a happy go lucky guy from Hyderabad who helps his friend to elope with his love, only to experience the wrath of the girl's father and the emotional struggle he felt. His performance was well acclaimed by Critics. idlebrain.com wrote "Allu Arjun is pretty excellent in the first half as the characterization in the first half is vibrant and needs loads of energy. He carried the entire first half on his shoulders. He excelled in the emotional scenes in the second half." He won his first Filmfare Best Telugu Actor Award for his performance in the film. After playing a guest role in Shankar Dada Zindabad, He starred in Sukumar's Psychological Triangular Love Story Arya 2 alongside Kajal Aggarwal and Navdeep, which was the sequel to his 2004 film Arya. He played the role of Arya, an orphan who is behaviorally sick in that he is consumed with possessiveness for his friend Ajay, who never accepts him. His performance and Dancing skills were well appreciated by critics. Sify wrote "Allu Arjun is full of energy as the guy caught in the powerful current of love. Though he plays the part with negative shades, his characterization could evoke a lot of sympathy from the audiences. His dances are mind-blowing and he excels in emotional scenes." idlebrain.com wrote "Allu Arjun is perfect as Arya. His character in the movie has the qualities of a psychotic and he portrayed the character flawlessly. He shined in emotional scenes in the second half of the movie. Allu Arjun is probably the best dancer of current era in Tollywood. That is the reason why he made hugely difficult dances appear fluid and effortless in the first four songs of the movie." Though it had mixed reviews, Arya 2 was a Success at the box office, nevertheless meeting the success of Arya. He was also nominated for the second time for Filmfare Best Telugu Actor Award.
After the success of Arya 2, Arjun starred in two experimental films in 2010. The first was Gunasekhar's Varudu which released to mixed reviews nevertheless applause for Arjun's performance. Rediff wrote "Allu Arjun has put in a competent performance, subdued when necessary and volatile when needed. He's a good dancer and does justice to his role." The movie went on the be the first and biggest disaster in Arjun's career. His next film was Krish's Critically acclaimed Multi-starrer Drama film Vedam alongside Manoj Manchu, Anushka Shetty and Deeksha Seth. He played the role of Cable Raju, a lower middle class guy hailing from Jubilee Hills slum who pretends to be a rich guy before his love. His performance was widely acclaimed by critics. 123telugu.com wrote "Allu Arjun has come of age and brings in a lot of maturity to his acting. He gives the movie's most heart warming performance as he gets the lengthiest role in the film. Together with Nagaiah and Anushka he creates some magical scenes! Just watch out for his expressions in Mallee Puttanee song." The movie did well at the box office, standing as one of the best Telugu films of the year. Arjun won his second Filmfare Best Telugu Actor Award.
His next release was V. V. Vinayak's Action film Badrinath alongside Tamannaah. He played the role of Badri, a warrior who is assigned to protect the shrine of Badrinath by his Guru, to whom he is very loyal. His performance, Dances and on-screen chemistry with Tamannaah were well appreciated by critics. idlebrain.com wrote "Allu Arjun has taken tremendous pain in traveling to Vietnam to learn south-east-Asian martial arts for this movie. All his hard work shows up in the movie where he appears more like a warrior from south-east-Asian regions (Chinese or Japanese) with a pony tail and leather gear (chest belt and shoes). He is amazing with fluid movements in the dances. He is good with fights." The movie was an average grosser at the Box office, completing 50 Days in 187 Centers.
After Badrinath, Arjun took a break for some months and teamed up with Trivikram Srinivas in November 2011 for the film Julai, a heist drama which released in 2012. Arjun played the role of Ravindra Narayan, a street-smart yet spoilt brat whose life takes a drastic turn after he becomes the witness of a huge bank robbery. His portrayal was well appreciated by the critics. The Times of India wrote "Allu Arjun puts in a confident performance as the loveable rogue. It's a role that is right up his alley and he carries it off with a characteristic panache. He lights up the screen with his dancing in particular, pulling off some pretty challenging dance moves." Julai was an unusual success at the box office making Arjun the fourth Telugu actor whose film collected over 700 million at the box office. He was also nominated for SIIMA Award for Best Actor. He later starred in Puri Jagannadh's Romantic Love story Iddarammayilatho alongside Amala Paul and Catherine Tresa. He played the role of Sanju Reddy, a guitarist with an indeed dark past. His performance was well acclaimed by the critics. The Times of India wrote "True to his tag of 'stylish star', Allu Arjun looks trendier than ever before. His character of a guitarist, who is a street performer in Barcelona, was at it's best sketchy, and looks completely different from his previous films. He once again proves that he is a good actor and probably because of the action director's meticulous planning, he makes perfect expressions in all the fight scenes." The film fared well at the Indian as well as Overseas Box Offices in spite of receiving mixed reviews from the critics.
Currently, he, along with Kajal Aggarwal, for his second time in his career, is filming for a crucial cameo in Vamsi Paidipally's Yevadu alongside Ram Charan Teja, Shruti Haasan, Amy Jackson in the lead roles. Besides he is working in Surender Reddy's Race Gurram alongside Shruti Haasan. After the success of Desamuduru and Iddarammayilatho, he signed a film under the direction of Puri Jagannadh for the third time in his career. He has also expressed interest in acting in a Tamil film directed by Rajesh of OKOK fame.
On March 8, 2011, Allu Arjun married Sneha Reddy at Hyderabad amidst politicians and people from the South Indian film industry. In 2013, there were rumors of Arjun divorcing Sneha which were quashed by Arjun himself in a press meet. He stated, "Both Sneha and I are madly in love, and have been ever since we started seeing each other and are happily married. Though I am habituated to rumors being in the show business for so long, Sneha and her family are yet to get used to them. To all my media friends, we are happy in our relation and planning to have kids in few years."
|2007||Desamuduru||Bala Govind||Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Telugu|
|2007||Shankar Dada Zindabad||Special appearance|
|2008||Parugu||Krishna||Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Telugu|
|2009||Arya 2||Arya||Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Telugu|
|2010||Vedam||Aanand Raju (Cable Raju)||Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Telugu|
|2012||Julai||Ravindra Narayan||Nominated—SIIMA Award for Best Actor|
Dubbed in Tamil language as Kandasa
- Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Telugu – Parugu (2008)
- Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Telugu – Vedam (2010)
- Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Telugu – Desamuduru (2007)
- Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Telugu – Arya 2 (2009)
- Filmfare Award for Best Actor - Telugu - Iddarammayilatho (2013)
- "Allu Arjun's Complete Profile ~ Welcome to HelloTolly.com ~ Tollywood | Bollywood | Kollywood — News,Wallpapers,Stills,Videos". Hellotolly.com. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- "(M)Allu Arjun rocks". The Times of India. Retrieved Feb 10, 2010.
- "Gangotri 100 days centers". idlebrain.com.
- "Arya – A cocktail of fun and more fun". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved May 10, 2004.
- "Movie review – Arya". idlebrain.com. Retrieved May 7, 2004.
- Cycle Stand – Telugu cinema – Arya 50 days centers – 89 – Allu Arjun
- "Movie review – Bunny". idlebrain.com. Retrieved April 6, 2005.
- "100 days function – Bunny". idlebrain.com. Retrieved July 22, 2005.
- "Happy – Study of love". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved Jan 28, 2006.
- "Desamuduru – Allu Arjun is now a macho man". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved Jan 12, 2007.
- "Desamuduru grosses 30 crores!". bharatwaves.com. Retrieved Feb 14, 2008.
- "Telugu Movie review – Parugu". idlebrain.com. Retrieved May 1, 2008.
- "Movie Review : Arya 2". Sify.com. Retrieved Nov 27, 2009.
- "Telugu Movie review – Arya 2". idlebrain.com. Retrieved Nov 27, 2009.
- "Arya 2 makes profit". idlebrain.com. Retrieved 29 December 2009.
- "Worth a watch". Rediff.com. Retrieved March 31, 2010.
- "Vedam : Movie About Humanity". 123telugu.com. Retrieved June 4, 2010.
- "The Best Telugu Films of 2010". Rediff. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- "Telugu Movie review – Badrinath". idlebrain.com. Retrieved June 10, 2011.
- "Badrinath completes 50days in 187 theatres". The Times of India. Retrieved Aug 3, 2011.
- "Julayi movie review: Wallpaper, Story, Trailer at The Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved Aug 9, 2012.
- "Julayi to join 40 crore club Allu Arjun is the 4th Telugu hero to join and 3rd Mega hero to do so". idlebrain.com. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Iddarammayilatho Telugu movie review highlights". The Times of India. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- "Allu Arjun's Iddarammayilatho set to cross Rs 50 crore mark in Box Office". Oneindia Entertainment. Retrieved June 5, 2013.
- TNN (April 18, 2013). "Allu Arjun and Kajal spotted on the sets". The Times of India. Retrieved April 18, 2013 at 15:57 IST.
- "Allu Arjun, Shruti Haasan team up for their next 'Race Gurram'". IBN Live. Retrieved May 25, 2013.
- "Allu Arjun, Puri planning for 3rd combo". SuperGoodMovies. Retrieved June 4, 2013.
- "Allu Arjun, All in All Azhagu Raja". Behindwoods.com. 2013-03-20. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- "Allu Arjun's starry wedding". The Times of India. Retrieved Mar 8, 2011.
- "Allu Arjun rubbishes divorce rumors". The Times of India. Retrieved Jun 12, 2013.