Allu Rama Lingaiah
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011)|
|Allu Rama Lingaiah|
|Born||1 October 1922
Palakollu, Godavari Taluk Madras Presidency, British India (now Palakollu, West Godavari District, Andhra Pradesh, India)
|Died||30 July 2004 (aged 81)
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
|Occupation||Character actor, Comedian|
|Children||Allu Aravind, Surekha Konidala, Vasantha Lakshmi, Nava Bharathi.|
|Parents||Allu Venkanna (father)
Allu Arjun (grandson)
Ram Charan Teja (grandson)
Allu Sirish (grandson)
Pawan Kalyan (brother of son-in-law)
Nagendra Babu (brother of son-in-law)
Renu Desai (wife of brother of son-in-law)
Rama Lingaiah began his film career in 1953 with Puttillu and his last film Jai was in the year before his death. He was awarded the Padma Shri in 1990 by the Government of India, and received the Raghupathi Venkaiah Award in 2001.
Rama Lingaiah played memorable roles in classics like Mayabazar (as one of the Sarma-Sastry duo), Missamma, Muthyala Muggu, Sankarabharanam (his speech preceding the song "Dorakunaa Ituvanti Seva" commenting on the downfall of modern-day music, and the scene where he admonishes Somayajulu), Saptapadi, Yamagola ("Taalamu vesitini, gollemu marachitini!"), and numerous movies of the 80s, where he played a soft and unhated villain with the likes of Raogopal Rao and Nagabhushanam. His comedic timing and his nasal voice distinguished his many comic performances...
- This comedian was also a homeopathic doctor and freedom fighter.
- Was arrested by the British during Quit India Movement.
- Was featured in dramas for Praja Natya Mandali before joining films and awarded the title 'Hasya Kala Prapoorna' by Nritya Kala Mandali.
- His social service and concern for others can be seen in his active support of the Chiranjeevi Charitable Trust. Posthumously, he had his eyes donated to the Chiranjeevi Eye Bank
Rama Lingaiah's immediate family members are well established in the Telugu film industry including
- Allu Aravind - Son - Producer
- Chiranjeevi - Son-in-law -Actor/Politician
- Allu Arjun - Grandson - Actor
- Ram Charan Teja - Grandson - Actor
- Allu Sirish - Grandson - Actor/Producer
- Was awarded the prestigious Raghupathy Venkaiah award by the State Government of Andhra Pradesh for his outstanding contribution to Telugu cinema in the year 2001.
- Was awarded the prestigious Padma Shri award by Government of India for his outstanding contribution to Telugu cinema for the year 1990.
- A statue of Rama Lingaiah has been recently unveiled on Ramakrishna Beach in Visakhapatnam.