|Алматы Теледидар Мұнарасы|
|Type||Steel telecommunications and observation tower|
|Architectural||372 m (1,220 ft) (rounded-off)|
|Antenna spire||371.5 m (1,219 ft)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||N.G. Terziev, A.N. Savchenko (constructors N.K. Akimov, B.V. Ostroumov)|
The Almaty Television Tower, or simply Almaty Tower, is a 371.5-metre-high (1,219 ft) steel television tower built between 1975 and 1983 in Almaty, Kazakhstan. The tower is located on high slopes of Kok Tobe mountain (Kazakh: Көктөбе means "blue hill") south-east of downtown Almaty. Unlike other similar TV towers, it is not a concrete, but a steel tubular structure. It is the tallest free-standing tubular steel structure in the world.
The tower is 371.5 m (1219 ft) tall; its 114 m metal aerial reaches 1000 meters above sea level. It has two observation decks at the height of 146 m and 252 m, which are accessible by two high-speed elevators. It is however not open to the public. The tower was built by the architects Terziev, Savchenko, Akimov and Ostroumov. Since Almaty is particularly vulnerable to earthquakes, the TV tower was designed to withstand earthquakes up to a strength of 10 on the Richter scale.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Almaty Tower.|
- Radio masts and towers
- List of tallest towers in the world
- List of tallest freestanding structures in the world
- List of tallest buildings and structures in the world
- "Alma-Ata Television Tower (Almaty, 1983) | Structurae". En.structurae.de. Retrieved 2012-12-28.
- "Almaty Tower :: Triposo.com". Triposo.com. Retrieved 2013-11-04.
- "Almaty Tower, Almaty Kazakhstan Tourist Information :: TouristLink.com". Touristlink.com. Retrieved 2012-12-28.
- Almaty Television Tower at Structurae
- Almaty Tower :: Triposo.com
- Almaty Tower, Almaty Kazakhstan Tourist Information :: TouristLink.com
- Photograph of the Tower from The Almaty Expat site
|This mast or transmitter tower article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in Kazakhstan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|