|Type||Public – Oyj|
|Traded as||OMX: ALN1V|
|Key people||Kai Telanne, CEO|
|Operating income||M€26,5 2012)|
Alma Media is a media company focusing on digital services and publishing. In addition to news services, the company's products provide information related to lifestyle, career and business development. The services of Alma Media have expanded from Finland to the Nordic countries, the Baltics and Central Europe. Its best known products are Aamulehti, Iltalehti, Kauppalehti, Monster.fi, Etuovi.com and City24. The company employs approximately 1,900 professionals (excluding distributors), of whom over 20% work outside Finland. The company's share is listed in the Mid Cap segment of the NASDAQ OMX Helsinki.
Alma Media Corporation has four reporting segments: Newspapers, Kauppalehti Group, Digital Consumer Services and Other operations.
The Newspapers business area includes the publishing of the afternoon paper Iltalehti, five regional papers and 29 local and city papers plus their online businesses.
The Kauppalehti Group specialises in the production of business and financial information as well as in the provision of marketing solutions. Its best known title is Finland’s leading business paper, Kauppalehti. The Group also includes the custom media house Alma 360 Custom Media, the news agency and media monitoring unit BNS Group that operates in the Baltic countries and a Swedish marketplace for business premises and commercial properties for sale, Objektvision.se.
The Digital Consumer Services segment, reported as of the beginning of 2012, includes the former Marketplaces segment as well as the digital consumer services previously reported in Newspapers and Other operations segments.
The services operating in Finland are Etuovi.com, Vuokraovi.com, Monster.fi, Autotalli.com, MyyJaOsta.com, Telkku.com, Kotikokki.net, e-kontakti.fi, Nytmatkaan.fi and Suomenyritykset.fi. The services outside Finland are Jobs.cz, Praze.cz, topjobs.sk, cv.ee and City 24. Further, the development of the technical platform of the digital services in regional and local media are reported in the Digital consumer Services segment.
Other Operations segment consists of the operations of the Group's printing and distribution business unit, Alma Manu Oy and the Group's parent company.
History in brief
- Suomalaisen Kirjallisuuden Seuran Kirjapainon Osakeyhtiö (Finnish Literature Society's Printing Company Ltd) starts operating in 1849 and prints the Suometar newspaper.
- Alma’s biggest newspapers are founded around the century: Satakunnan Kansa (1873), Aamulehti (1881), Kauppalehti (1898), Pohjolan Sanomat (1915), Kainuun Sanomat (1917) and Lapin Kansa (1928). Iltalehti was founded in1980.
- Tampereen Kirjapaino Oy and Uusi Suomi Oy are merged in 1988 to become one of Finland's largest newspaper publishers. The new company was later named Aamulehti Corporation.
- Over the years, company expands its business from newspapers to online services, television and radio.
- Alma Media Corporation officially begins operating on 1998.
- A major restructuring took place in Alma Media in 2005. The company divested its broadcasting business and decided to focus on publishing newspapers, business information and online marketplaces.
- In December 2011 Alma acquired LMC s.r.o. Czech leading provider of Jobs.cz, Prace.cz, Topjobs.sk jobboards and LMC G2 e-recruitment solution.
Provides business information and services.
- Kauppalehti: Versatile provider of business information operating a multitude of business newspapers and magazines as well as online services.
- Baltic News Service: News agency in the Baltic states with offices in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. BNS also has a business unit offering media monitoring services in the entire Baltic region.
- Alma 360 asiakasmedia: designs and produces content for marketing communication, such as customer magazines, staff magazines, web publications and video content.