Alma mater (song)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014)|
The alma mater is the generic title given to the official song or anthem of a school, college, or university.
The official song may be referred to as the alma mater of the school, college or university, and it may be understood by those who know, which song is referred to. It is not to be confused with a college's fight song, which is usually much more upbeat and used for a college's athletics programs. An alma mater is typically slow, light in instrumentation and with lyrics that wax nostalgic about the college's setting and affirm the singer's devotion to, and fondness for, the school.
- "Far Above Cayuga's Waters" is Cornell University's alma mater.
- "Alma Mater" is the official school song of Dartmouth College.
- "Carissima" is the alma mater of Hamilton College.
- "Alma Mater" is an official song of the University of Pittsburgh.
- "Carmen Ohio" is Ohio State University's alma mater.
- "Navy Blue and Gold" is the United States Naval Academy's alma mater.
- "Notre Dame, Our Mother" is the alma mater for the University of Notre Dame.
- "The Yellow and Blue" is the alma mater for the University of Michigan.
- "Dear A&T" is the alma mater of North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University.