Almirante Brown-class destroyer
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008)|
ARA Sarandí (D-13) in 1990.
|Builders:||Blohm + Voss|
|Active:||ARA Almirante Brown
ARA La Argentina
|Length:||126 m (413 ft)|
|Beam:||14 m (46 ft)|
|Draught:||5.8 m (19 ft)|
|Propulsion:||COGAG (4 turbines)
36,000 shp (27,000 kW)
|Speed:||30.5 knots (56.5 km/h)|
|Range:||4,500 mi (7,200 km)|
|Armament:||8 Exocet anti-ship missiles
24 Aspide surface-to-air missiles
1 5 inchdual purpose gun
8 anti-aircraft guns
6 torpedo tubes
|Aircraft carried:||1 helicopter|
The Almirante Brown is a class (MEKO 360H2 type) of warships built in Germany for the Argentine Navy. They were commissioned between 1983 and 1984, after the Falklands War. Argentina classifies them as destroyers, reflecting the fact they are the main warships of the Argentine fleet, but they are similar to general-purpose frigates of other nations.
The Argentine Navy struggles to meet maintenance and training requirements because of financial problems and import restrictions. The Almirante Brown class are reported to be short of spares and suffering engine problems, plus all their ordnance is past its expiry date.
- Displacement: 2,900 tons (empty); 3,360 tons (full load)
- Length: 413 ft (125.9 m)
- Beam: 49 ft(15 m)
- Draught: 19 ft(5.8 m)
- 2 shafts
- 2 Rolls-Royce Tyne RM-1C cruise gas turbines, 10,200 shp (7,600 kW) tot.
- 2 Rolls-Royce Olympus TM-3B boost gas turbines, 25,800 shp (19,200 kW) tot.
- Max shaft horsepower: 51,600 shp (38,500 kW) max
- Speed: 30.5 knots (56.5 km/h)
- Range: 4,500 nautical miles (8,330 km) at 18 knots (33 km/h)
- Aircraft: aft helicopter deck and hangar; 1 Alouette III or 1 AS-555-SN Fennec
- Radar: DA-08A air/surface search
- Sonar: Krupp-Atlas 80 hull
- Fire Control: WM-25 gun control, STIR SAM control
- Electronic Warfare
- Racal Scimitar jammer, 2 20-round OTO Melara SCALR decoy
- 1 Graseby G1738 towed torpedo decoy
- Concept/Program: German-built general purpose frigates; they are the main surface asset of the Argentine navy.
- Builders: Blohm + Voss, Hamburg, Germany.
- Design: MEKO 360 modular design.
Ships in the class
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Almirante Brown class destroyers.|
- "Argentine navy short on spares and resources for training and maintenance". MercoPress. 22 November 2012.
- Guia de los buques de la Armada Argentina 2005-2006. Ignacio Amendolara Bourdette, ISBN 987-43-9400-5, Editor n/a. (Spanish/English text)