||This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (June 2010)|
Ranikhet, Almora district
|• Total||3,082 km2 (1,190 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,646 m (5,400 ft)|
|• Density||205/km2 (530/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||862 ♂/♀|
|Climate||Alpine (BSh) and Humid subtropical(Bsh) (Köppen)|
|Annual temperature||28 to -2 °C|
|Summer temperature||28 - 12 °C|
|Winter temperature||15 to -2 °C|
The ancient town of Almora, before its establishment was under the possession of Katyuri king Baichaldeo. He donated major part of this land to a Gujrati Brahmin Sri Chand Tiwari. Later on when Chand kingdom was founded in Baramandal, the town of Almora was founded at this centrally located place in 1568 by Kalyan Chand. In the days of the Chand Kings it was called Rajapur. The name 'Rajpur' is also mentioned on a number of ancient copper plates.
The town of Almora is situated over a horse saddle shaped ridge of a mountain. The eastern portion of the ridge is known as Talifat and the western one is known as Selifat. The market is at the top of the ridge where these two, Talifat and Selifat jointly terminate.
The market is 1.25 miles (2.01 km) long and is covered with stone slabs. The place of the present cantonment was formerly known as Lalmandi. Presently where the collectorate exists, the 'Malla Mahal' (Upper Court) of Chanda kings was located. The site of present District Hospital used to be 'Talla Mahal' (Lower Court) of Chand rulers.
Simalkhet is a village situated in the border of Almora and Chamoli. People of this village can speak both kumauni and garhwali languages. On the top of a hill there is a temple called Bhairav Gadi.
Gori River flows through Almora District.
District of Almora is divided into nine tehsils namely: Almora, Bhikiyasain, Chaukhutiya, Dwarahat, Jainti, Ranikhet, Someshwar, and Sult.
Culture and literature
Almora was also the site of the dance academy set up by Udai Shankar, danseuse, in 1938 - several well-known Indian and French dancers trained here. The Almora dance academy was housed in Pine Lodge on the outskirts of the town (Ranidhara). The site has views of the Himalayas and the city.
"In these hills, Nature’s hospitality eclipses all that man can ever do. The enchanting beauty of the Himalayas, their bracing climate and the soothing green that envelops you, leave nothing more to be desired. I wonder whether the scenery of these hills and the climate are to be surpassed, if equalled, by any of the beauty spots of the world. After having been for nearly three weeks in the Almora hills, I am more than ever amazed why our people need to go to Europe in search of health."- Mahatama M.K. Gandhi
"These mountains are associated with the best memories of our race: Here, therefore, must be one of centers, not merely of activity, but more of calmness of meditation, and of peace and I hope some one to realize it."
- Swami Vivekananda (replying to the address given to him by the people of Almora)
Nearest Airport is Pantnagar (Nainital): 127 km. Pithoragarh airport 125 km
- Sampark Kranti Exp (5035/506)
- Howrah Express (3019/3020)
- Ranikhet Express (5013/5014)
- Rampur Passenger (1/2 R.K. Passenger and 3/4 R.K. Passenger)
- Naintial Express (5308/5307)
- Garib Rath ( weekly)
Almora is well connected by road to important centres in the region.Nh 87 passes throgh to almora is known as karnaprayag national highway . Some distances:
Haldwani 91 km
Ramnagar 120 km(via Nainital)
,150 km Bageshwar 74 km .92 km via kausani
Rudrapur 130 km
Ranikhet 45 km
. Dwarahat 68 km
Pithoragarh 120 km
Bareilly 191 km
Dehradun 394 km
According to the 2011 census Almora district has a population of 621,927, roughly equal to the nation of Montenegro or the US state of Vermont. This gives it a ranking of 517th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 198 inhabitants per square kilometre (510 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was -1.73 %. Almora has a sex ratio of 1142 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 81.06%.
Hindus 621,203, Muslims 7,283 (1.15%), Christians 959.Most of the population lives near the main market of almora that forms nearly 45% of the population.
In 2012 Almora city census 1,00,000 and area of city is 20.2 km2
Har govind vallabh pant 1885-1957 mp freedom fighter and founder of first political group-kumon parishad
- Manohar Shyam Joshi (1933–2006) Writer. Born in Almora.
- Sumitra Nandan Pant Writer. Born in Almora.
- Bhairab Dutt Pande ICS Padma Vibhushan Former Cabinet Secretary of India and Governor of West Bengal, Punjab is a resident of Almora
- General B.C Joshi General in Indian Army Born in Almora.
- Lt Gen Dr MC Bhandari, PVSM,AVSM & Bar, D Litt, FIMA Ex Chairman UKD Pub Service Commission born in Ranikhet.
- Jagmohan Sundriyal, Director of Rajya Sabha, Parliament of India
- Prasoon Joshi: Ad guru Writer Poet
- Admiral D K Joshi (Chief of the Indian Navy)
- Murli Manohar Joshi (Former Human Resource Development Minister of India)
- Bharat Ratna "Govind Ballabh Pant" ( First chief minister of U.P).
- Dr.D.K.PandeyDoctor.Born in Varanasi.
- Mahendra singh dhoni born in Almora.
- Kumaon Official website of Almora district
- Almora history
- Times World Atlas, 1967 Edition, Plate 30.
- "The Collected Works of Mahatma Gandhi Vol. 46: 12 May 1929 - 31 August 1929" (PDF)., p. 254
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01. "Montenegro 661,807 July 2011 est."
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30. "Vermont 625,741"
- "Uttarakhand - Districts of India: Know India". National Portal of India. Archived from the original on 19 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-04.
- WRITERS AND THEIR WORKS[dead link] Foundation of SAARC Writers.
- "Almora district". The Imperial Gazetteer of India, Vol. 5. Oxford at Clarendon Press. 1909. pp. 243–252.
||Chamoli district||Bageshwar district|
|Pauri Garhwal district||Pithoragarh district|
|Nainital district||Champawat district|