Almost Home (Craig Morgan song)
|Single by Craig Morgan|
|from the album I Love It|
|Released||November 4, 2002|
Kerry Kurt Phillips
|Craig Morgan singles chronology|
"Almost Home" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music singer Craig Morgan. It was released in November 2002 the second single from his album I Love It. The song was Morgan's first Top 10 hit on the U.S. country music charts. In addition, the song earned him a "Song of the Year" award from BMI, and a Songwriter's Achievement Award from the Nashville Songwriters' Association International. The song was written by Morgan and Kerry Kurt Phillips.
The song is a mid-tempo mostly backed by acoustic guitar. It tells of the singer's encounter with an old, homeless man who is sleeping behind a trash can on a cold winter day. Presuming that the homeless man may be dead, the singer then rouses him. Upon being awakened, the homeless man says that he is "almost home", and then lists off the activities that he had been doing in his dream. The narrator then offers to drive the old man to a shelter, but the old man refuses.
According to songwriter Kerry Kurt Phillips, the homeless man's explanation that he is "almost home" is intentionally open-ended, and can mean that the man had almost reached home in his dream, or that he is about to die and go to Heaven: "A lot of people ask me if the guy almost died[…] was he dying or dreaming? It's funny how people have different interpretations. That's the neat thing about a song, and I think understatement is the key to a good song...leaving enough room for the listener to draw their own conclusion[…] so I never answer them on that. I guess it's up to the listener."
Chuck Taylor of Billboard gave the song a positive review and wrote, "Always an affecting vocalist, Morgan gives a sensitive, nuanced performance of the poignant lyric. The song is sure to stir emotions and should be a welcome addition to playlists."
|US Billboard Hot 100||59|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||6|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||42|
- Gilbert, Calvin (2003-06-23). "Craig Morgan Beats The Odds With "Almost Home"". Retrieved 2007-12-30.
- Music Row Awards Herald ‘Almost Home’
- BMI.com | Craig Morgan
- D.E.P., and Chuck Taylor. "Almost Home (Music release)." Billboard 114.46 (2002): 26. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. Web. 7 June 2011.
- "Craig Morgan Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Craig Morgan.
- "Craig Morgan Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Craig Morgan.
- "Best of 2003: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2003. Retrieved July 13, 2012.