Almost Like Being in Love
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
|"Almost Like Being in Love"|
|Music by||Frederick Loewe|
|Lyrics by||Alan Jay Lerner|
|Recorded by||Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Mildred Bailey, Mary Martin, Michael Johnson, Dame Shirley Bassey, Nat King Cole|
|Performed by||David Brooks and Marion Bell|
There were three hit versions of the song in the United States in 1947. Frank Sinatra's version was the highest charting at #20. Mildred Bailey and Mary Martin both charted with the song at #21 that year.
Nat King Cole recorded more than one version of the song, including a later version that was used as the closing song in the 1993 movie Groundhog Day which starred Bill Murray. Cole's version, in the key of G major like the original, features a ii–V–I turnaround (2-5-1) in G and a 2-5-1 in E major and D major for the bridge, before eventually raising up a key with a 2-5-1 in A flat major.
Other musicians who have recorded "Almost Like Being in Love" include:
- Lester Young - Lester Young with the Oscar Peterson Trio (1952)
- Sonny Rollins and the Modern Jazz Quartet - Sonny Rollins with the Modern Jazz Quartet (1953)
- Red Garland - Red Garland's Piano (1957)
- Cliff Richard (1960)
- In 1961, Judy Garland performed the song as a medley with "This Can't Be Love" at her Judy at Carnegie Hall concert.
- Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Sings Broadway (1963)
- Johnny Hartman - Unforgettable Songs (1966)
- Dean Martin
- Natalie Cole - Unforgettable... with Love (1991)
- Woody Allen as Z-4195 from Antz (1998, short rendition)
- Rufus Wainwright (2007)
- Melanie Safka
- In 2013, the renowned Spanish actress & singer Natalia Dicenta released a version of the song on her album Colours.
- Jermaine Jackson - "I Wish You Love" (2012)
- Pop Memories 1890-1954. Joel Whitburn. 1986. Record Research Inc. p. 470. ISBN 0-89820-083-0