|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)|
|Headquarters||El Segundo, California|
|Key people||Rodney Mullen and Daewon Song|
|Products||Skateboard Decks, equipment, apparel, accessories|
Almost Skateboards is a United States (US) skateboard company founded by professional skateboarders and business partners, Daewon Song and Rodney Mullen. As of August 2012, the brand is distributed by Dwindle Distribution.
Almost Skateboards was started in 2003 by Rodney Mullen and Daewon Song after both had ceased participating in their previous companies, enjoi and Artafact, respectively.
Almost Skateboards manufactures skateboard decks using 7-ply, 8-ply and carbon fiber constructions. The decks are bound with Resin epoxy glue. The carbon fiber constructions are included in a number of models, named Impact Support, Double Impact and Über Light.
The company released a video in October 2012, in which Haslam surprises Willow with his first professional skateboard deck model at a signing in Germany—Willow was completely unaware of what had been planned. On November 26, 2012, "Willow's World", a full-length video part edited by Mike Manzoori (Sole Technology), was released on the Transworld Skateboarding website to commemorate the team rider's professional status.
In August 2013, Almost collaborated with Nike SB and TransWorld Skateboarding magazine on a feature for amateur rider Youness Amrani. Entitled "Marrakesh Express", the project combined a print article with a video part that was launched on the TransWorld website on August 9, 2013. Videographer Chris Thiesson accompanied Amrani as he skated and traveled between "Casablanca and Marrakesh by way of Rabat, Kenitra, and Agadir" in Morocco. Amrani was born in Morocco, but grew up in Belgium.
Death of Lewis Marnell
An official announcement on January 20, 2013 revealed that Lewis Marnell had died in the 48 hours prior to the announcement—details of the passing were not provided. Marnell had released an Almost video part in the six months prior to his death—5-Incher.
Marnell's inaugural video part for the Almost company was in the Daewon/Haslam miniramp video project, Cheese and Crackers—Marnell was introduced as a new team member with the inclusion of his part in the "Bonus" section of the DVD release and Curtis Mayfield's "Move On Up" is the soundtrack to the part.
Song stated on his Instagram profile, "@lewismarnell you are a true inspiration brotha and will be missed thank u for showing the world your amazing gifts, and thank u for being such a positive,kind and giving friend to all! RIP". Song then published another photograph on January 21, 2013, stating, "Shot this a while back!! reminded me of #lewismarnell 🙏 !! freedom is a gift and love and respect for each other makes for a better world !! #sorryboutpreaching".
Marnell's other teammates, Wilt and Haslam, also posted tributes on their respective Instagram profiles; Wilt wrote:
Today was rough one... Woke up to the news that Lewis Marnell had passed away. A great friend and teammate for the last 6 and a half years. Things just won't be the same without him--- he's gone too soon but I'm glad to know that he made the most of his life! He traveled nonstop, met and married a great girl, and got to skateboard for a living--- all with a huge smile on his face. Gonna miss him and remember him always, a true legend- Lewis Marnell!!
On January 20, 2013, Haslam posted a photo of Marnell seated on a purpose-built bicycle that Marnell had constructed, whereby a set of speakers is situated on a platform at the front of the bicycle. Luis Cruz, Almost's brand manager, posted the following tribute to the Almost Skateboards Instagram profile: "We are privileged to have had Lewis Marnell part of the Almost family. He will be loved and remembered for ever. RIP brother… you will be greatly missed."
The brand's product catalog for spring 2013 was released in mid-March and featured the full team lineup up until that point, including Marnell and corresponding signature boards. The final page of the catalog featured a photographic portrait of Marnell and the following statement: "LEWIS MARNELL NEVER FORGOTTEN 1982 – 2013".
Carbon construction decks
- The Über Light is a 7-ply Resin deck with a carbon fiber inner layer that constitutes a foam core. The design creates a stronger, lighter and more rigid board in comparison to regular wood decks. Only 500 Über Light boards (named "Über Experimental") were made when the model was first produced, but, as of May 2012, the boards are regularly manufactured. The construction was created by Mullen and the latest version, the Super Uber Light V3, is featured in the Almost Skateboards "Spring 12" catalogue.
- The Impact Support is a 8-ply Resin deck that uses die-cut carbon fiber discs that are inserted in the 8th ply around the truck mounting areas; the discs prevent "pressure cracks" in the areas of a skateboard deck that typically break. The model is lighter and stronger than Almost Resin-7 and 8 decks, and are covered by a 30-day warranty.
- The Double Impact series was released in 2010. The model utilizes carbon fiber discs (such as Impact Support), with Resin-6 construction and a carbon fiber top sheet. The Double Impact design features all the benefits of the Impact Support model, but is lighter and stronger. Almost provides a 45-day warranty with the Double Impact model.
- Youness Amrani
- Mitchie Brusco
- Michael Sommer
- Issey Yumiba
- CJ Tambornino
- Jean-Marc Johannes
- Daryl Dominguez
Although Matty "Schmatty" Chaffin appeared in the "flow" section of 5-Incher, he has signed a deal with the DGK ("Dirty Ghetto Kids") skateboard company subsequent to the release of the film (this was publicly confirmed by James Craig, using the avatar "cliff", on the SLAP magazine message board in July 2012). Chaffin was confirmed as a "flow" rider for DGK in a video upload that was released on November 30, 2012, in which he shares apart with Ryan Guiso as they skate Da Playground, an indoor training facility, owned by DGK, that is located in Atlanta, US.
The first installment of the Almost "Double Impact Contest Series was launched in 2011 as a collaborative event with the Liberty Boardshop. The inaugural contest was held at a public location called the "Brea 12 set" and was held in November 2011—the winning trick was a switch-stance 360-flip.
The second contest was held in August 2012 at the Springfield Skatepark "10-stair" in Oregon, United States, in collaboration with the Tactics skate shop. The prize was a new skateboard every month for the duration of a year. The winner of the Oregon contest was Scott Grady, who landed both a nollie backside heelflip and a switch varial heelflip.
In January 2013, the Europe Impact Tour commenced, featuring demonstration performances from Haslam, Amrani, and Wildgrube. Double Impact contests were incorporated into the tour and on January 16, 2013, the first tour stop occurred in Berlin, Germany at the Skatehalle-Berlin skate park venue. The winner of each round, as per the previous contests, wins a year worth of Almost skateboard decks—at the first stop in Berlin, the winner was photographed with a signature model "Willow" (Wildgrube) skateboard deck.
- Staff (2012). "Almost Skateboards". skately. Skately LLC. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- Staff (23). "NEWS UPDATES". dwindle distribution. dwindle distribution. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- almost skateboards (May 2012). "Uber Light". Spring 12. almost skateboards. Retrieved 27 May 2012.
- Almost Skateboards (October 2012). "Willow Surprise Pro" (Video upload). Almost Vimeo page. Vimeo, LLC. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- TWS (26). "‘WILLOW’S WORLD’ FULL-LENGTH PRO PART". Transworld Skateboarding. Bonnier Corporation. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- "‘MARRAKESH EXPRESS’ YOUNESS AMRANI VIDEO PART". TransWorld Skateboarding. Grind Media. 9 August 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- TWS (19). "LEWIS MARNELL, R.I.P.". Transworld Skateboarding. Bonnier Corporation. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- 30 Shot (July 2012). "Talking Heads w/ Marnell" (Video upload). 30shot on Vimeo. Vimeo LLC. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- InfmsEntertainment (3). "5 Incher, Almost a Skateboard Video - Official Trailer" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Almost - Cheese and Crackers". SkatevideoSite.com. SkatevideoSite.com. 2005–2013. Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- Daewon Song (20). "@lewismarnell you are a true inspiration brotha and will be missed thank u for showing the world your amazing gifts, and thank u for being such a positive,kind and giving friend to all! RIP" (Photo upload). Statigram. Tripnity. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- Daewon Song (21). "Shot this a while back!! reminded me of #lewismarnell 🙏 !! freedom is a gift and love and respect for each other makes for a better world !! #sorryboutpreaching" (Photo upload). daewon song on Pheed. Pheed. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "coopyskate" (Photo upload). Webstagram. A-FIS PTE.LTD. 20. Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- Lewis Marnell (2012). "Time to fit those subs! So close but yet so far." (Photo upload). lewismarnell on OnInStagram. OnInStagram. Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- Lewis Marnell (2012). "The Boom Sound is now official!" (Photo upload). lewismarnell on OnInStagram. OnInStagram. Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- "One more coat of paint and ill be done with this beast!" (Photo upload). lewismarnell on OnInStagram. OnInStagram. 2012. Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- Chris Haslam (20). "waywardnephew" (Photo upload). Statigram. Tripnity. Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- Luis Cruz (19). "almostskate" (Photo upload). Webstagram. A-FIS PTE.LTD. Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- "Spring 13". Almost Skateboards. Almost Skateboards. March 2013. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- Chops (17). "WHAT? ALMOST DOUBLE IMPACT SUPPORT IS COMING….". WarehouseSkateboards.com. Warehouse Skateboards. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Team". Almost A Website. Almost Skateboards. May 2013. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- "Michael Sommer On Almost". Kingpin. MPORA Pure Action Sports. 23. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- aecho (7). "ALMOST SKATEBOARDS – 5-INCHER TRAILER". SIXAND5 – Inspiration webzine. Wordpress. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- Staff (21). "Home". almost a website. almost skateboards. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- Blair Alley (27). "Click here to find out more! New Almost ’5-Incher’ Trailer". Transworld Skateboarding. Transworld Skateboarding. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "Check out Jean Marc Johannes ...". Almost Skateboards on Facebook. Facebook. 29 May 2013. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- "UK Almost rider Daryl Dominguez gets a 10 tricks at the Gonz Gap courtesy of Kingpin Skateboarding". Almost Skateboards on Facebook. Facebook. 24 September 2013. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- cliff (13). "Re: New Almost video - 5 inchers on may 14th (Reply #337)" (Message board post). SLAP Magazine. High Speed Productions, Inc. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- Templeton Elliot (29). "Guiso and Shmatty Co-op At Da Playground". The Skateboard Mag. Strictly Skateboarding. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- RIDEChannel (8). "Jamie Thomas and Crew Skate Da Playground - LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- ryanjelniker (26). "ALMOST SKATEBOARDS 2010/11 DECK PREVIEW". Transworld Business. Bonnier Corporation. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- CCSskatemedia (9). "Behind The Design | Almost Skateboards" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- aaron (17). "The Berrics Trajectory- Small Wheels part 1". sml. wheels & stuff. sml. wheels. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- SkatevideoSite.com (2005–2012). "Almost - Cheese and Crackers". SkatevideoSite.com. SkatevideoSite.com. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- The Berrics (2012). "Headquarters". The Berrics. THE BERRICS Inc. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- iTunes Preview (2012). "5 Incher, Almost a Skateboard Video". iTunes Preview. Apple Inc. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- Blair Alley (14). "ALMOST X LIBERTY DOUBLE IMPACT CONTEST". Transworld Skateboarding. Bonnier Corporation. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- almostatube (22). "Almost x Liberty Double Impact Contest". YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- Almost skateboards (22). "TODAY Tactics is doing the best trick contest at the Springfield park in Oregon!". Facebook. Facebook. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- Benson (14). "ALMOST DOUBLE IMPACT BEST TRICK CONTEST". The Tactics Grind – A Tactics.com Blog. The Tactics Grind. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- Tactics (22). "Congrats to Scott Grady for winning the @almostskate Double Impact Best Trick contest!". Tactics Facebook page. Facebook. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- skatehalle-berlin (17). "Almost Demo - Skatehalle Berlin" (Video upload). Mpora Pure Action Sports – Skate. Factory Media Ltd. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- skatehalle berlin (17). "Almost Demo - Skatehalle Berlin" (Video upload). skatehalle berlin on Vimeo. Vimeo LLC. Retrieved 20 January 2013.