|Directed by||Martin Davidson|
|Produced by||Rob Cohen|
|Written by||Judith Berg
Marc Reid Rubel
|Music by||Ron Altbach
|Editing by||Lynzee Klingman|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
|Release dates||September 8, 1978|
|Running time||88 min|
Almost Summer is a 1978 motion picture directed by Martin Davidson, and produced by Motown Productions for Universal Pictures. It is the only Motown theatrical feature not to center around African-American characters. Though not successful at the box office, the film has since acquired a certain degree of historical importance because many observers consider it to be the first of a series of distinctive "youth-genre" films of which other, more prominent examples include Fast Times at Ridgemont High and The Breakfast Club.
Set in a generic Southern California high school, the plot of the film revolves around a student council election, which stirs up assorted petty jealousies among various characters. Most of the soundtrack was written by Mike Love of the Beach Boys and performed by a studio band assembled by Love known as Celebration. The title song, which became a mid-level hit single, opens with the lyrics "Susie wants to be a lady director, and Eddie wants to drive a hearse; Johnny wants to be a doctor or lawyer, and Linda wants to be a nurse" — reflecting a total lack of world-changing idealism on the part of the teenage characters, thus clearly marking them as the first wave of a new generation, which in the fullness of time would receive the label "Generation X."
The movie was rated PG by the Motion Picture Association of America, but earned a B — "objectionable in part" — rating from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops' Office for Film and Broadcasting; the latter body observed that "the film presents in uncritical fashion a suffocatingly materialistic and amoral environment, has offensive jokes at the expense of people with physical disabilities, and flaunts a gratuitous bit of nudity."
- Bruno Kirby ... Bobby DeVito
- Lee Purcell ... Christine Alexander
- John Friedrich ... Darryl Fitzgerald
- Didi Conn ... Donna DeVito
- Thomas Carter ... Dean Hampton
- Tim Matheson ... Kevin Hawkins
- Michael Stearns ... Vice Cop
- Sherry Hursey ... Lori Ottinger
- Gene LeBell ... Rose Bowl Coach
- Harvey Lewis ... Stanley Lustgarten
- Allen G. Norman... Scratch
- Petronia Paley ... Nicole Henderson
- Donna Wilkes ... Meredith
- David Wilson ... Duane Jackson
- "Almost Summer (1978)". imdb.com. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "ALMOST SUMMER MOVIE TRAILER 1978". youtube.com. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "Almost-Summer". nytimes.com. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "Almost Summer(1978)". tcm.com. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "Almost Summer". debate.org. Retrieved 29 November 2013.