Cover of the first edition
|Author||Robert E. Howard|
|Genre||Science fiction novel|
|Media type||Print (Paperback)|
Almuric is a science fiction novel by Robert E. Howard. It was originally serialized in three parts in the magazine Weird Tales beginning in May 1939. The novel was first published in book form in 1964 by Ace Books.
The novel features a muscular hero known on earth as Esau Cairn. He is transported through space to a world known as Almuric by unspecified scientific methods. While there he battles with frightening monsters and beautiful women. Cairn becomes known as the Iron Hand due to his powerful punches and boxing skills. The novel shares similar elements with the John Carter of Mars series by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
The novel is a planetary romance in which Esau Cairn, a former boxer seeking a life strenuous enough for his great strength and violent nature, is transported from Earth to the planet Almuric to escape the clutches of a corrupt city government. Cairn finds ape like human tribes in fortified towns and fights other apelike humans, winged demons, and various monsters. By the end of the novel, he and his friends from the towns Khor and Koth capture Ugg - citadel of the winged Yaga demons.
- 1939, USA, Weird Tales, Pub date May 1939, magazine serialization in 3 parts
- 1964, USA, Ace Books F-305 OCLC 5821930, Pub date 1964, Paperback, first book publication
- 1975, USA, Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc. OCLC 1367492, Pub date 1975, Hardback
- Chalker, Jack L.; Mark Owings (1998). The Science-Fantasy Publishers: A Bibliographic History, 1923-1998. Westminster, MD and Baltimore: Mirage Press, Ltd. p. 322.
- Tuck, Donald H. (1974). The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy. Chicago: Advent. p. 230. ISBN 0-911682-20-1.
|This article about a 1930s novel is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|