Alnmouth railway station
GNER train enters the station from the north
|Local authority||County of Northumberland|
|Managed by||Northern Rail|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Newcastle and Berwick Railway|
|Pre-grouping||North Eastern Railway|
|1 July 1847||Station opens as Bilton|
|2 May 1892||Station renamed Alnmouth|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Alnmouth from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Alnmouth railway station (Signed as: Alnmouth for Alnwick) is a station on the East Coast Main Line about one mile from Alnmouth in Hipsburn, Northumberland, northern England. It is 10–15 minutes by road to the town of Alnwick.
The station was opened on 1 July 1847 as Bilton by the Newcastle and Berwick Railway and from 1854 run by the North Eastern Railway. On 1 October 1850 it became the junction for the Alnwick branch line. On 2 May 1892 the station's name was changed to Alnmouth.
Alnmouth station is managed by Northern Rail, even though the majority of its services are provided by other operators.
The majority of services are provided by CrossCountry trains running between Newcastle and Edinburgh. Virgin Trains East Coast services calling here were reduced in the May 2011 timetable change so that they are less frequent. However, these services are every two hours during the day for both Newcastle/London and Edinburgh.
Alnmouth will also become the eastern terminus of the Aln Valley (Heritage) Railway which is being reconstructed along the Alnwick branch line.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Cross Country Network
|Morpeth||Virgin Trains East Coast
|Newcastle Central||Virgin Trains East Coast
East Coast Main Line
Line open; Station closed
|North Eastern Railway
Newcastle and Berwick Railway
Line open; Station closed
|Terminus||North Eastern Railway
Alnwick branch line
Line and Station closed
- Body, G. (1989). PSL Field Guides - Railways of the Eastern Region Volume 2: Northern operating area (1st ed.). Wellingborough: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0072-1. OCLC 59892452.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 0-9068-9999-0. OCLC 228266687.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0086-1. OCLC 22311137.
- Station on navigable O.S. map
- RAILSCOT on Newcastle and Berwick Railway
- Northumbrian Branch Line Railways
- Buses from the station
- Buses to the station
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alnmouth railway station.|