Alok Nath in 2012
10 July 1956 |
He first rose to fame for his role in the 1987 television series, Buniyaad. He went on to essay the role of Deepak in the television serial Tara. He later appeared in the 1989 film, Maine Pyar Kiya, playing the father of Bhagyashree Patwardhan's character, Suman. He has appeared in some of the biggest hits of Bollywood, playing supporting roles as a father or uncle who is shown as good-natured person. Prime examples are Taal, Maine Pyar Kiya, Hum Saath-Saath Hain: We Stand United, Hum Aapke Hain Koun..!, Pardes and Vivah. He even played fathers to people younger than himself, from in his twenties. He played negative roles in films like Bol Radha Bol, Vinashak – Destroyer and Shadyantra. He also made an appearance in the international award-winning Richard Attenborough directed film Gandhi (1982).
He appeared in some episodes of Rishtey, a TV series that aired on Zee TV during 1999-2001.
On 30 December 2013, jokes and memes based on characters played by Alok Nath started trending on social media without apparent reasons and spread quickly. The Curious Case of Alok Nath - Why did Alok Nath Trend on Twitter a case study to analyze the content which lead to the buzz around veteran bollywood actor went viral on 4 January 2014. Reacting over the jokes, the Actor admitted that he liked most of them.
|1986||Buniyaad||Master Haveli Ram|
|Year Unknown||Daane Anaar Ke||babuji|
|1999–2001||Rishtey (TV series)||babuji|
|1997||Kabhie Kabhie (1997 TV series)||babuji||It was Directed by Mahesh Bhatt and written by Anurag Kashyap, Akash Khurana and Vinta Nanda|
|2002||Astitva...Ek Prem Kahani||Saurabh Mathur|
|2002||Piya Ka Ghar||Bhavani Shankar|
|2005||Woh Rehne Waali Mehlon Ki||Yashvardhan Mittal||Rani Mittal/Goyal's father|
|2006||Ghar Ek Sapnaa||Amarnath Chaudhary||Samman's father|
|2007||Har Ghar Kuch Kehta Hai||Baldev Kapoor||Gyan's father|
|2007–2010||Sapna Babul Ka...Bidaai||Prakash Chandra Sharma||Ragini's father and Sadna's mamaji|
|2009–2012||Yahan Main Ghar Ghar Kheli||Thakur Uday Pratap Singh||Abha's father|
|2011–28 March 2013||Kuch Toh Log Kahenge||Dr. Mathur||Dr. Ashutosh's adoptive father and Dr. Nidhi's maternal grandfather|
|12 August 2013 – 9 October 2013||Do Dil Bandhe Ek Dori Se||Balwant Rana||Shivani's grandfather and Raghu's master|
- "boxofficeindia.com". Vivah storms the box office. Archived from the original on 20 December 2006. Retrieved 19 December 2006.
- "indiafm.com". Review of Vivah. Archived from the original on 19 December 2006. Retrieved 19 December 2006.
- "Bollywood’s favourite father figure". The Hindu. 2008-04-28. Retrieved 26 December 2008.
- Bhopatkar, Tejshree (2013-12-31). "Is Alok Nath the next Rajinikanth?". timesofindia.com. The Times of India. Retrieved 2014-01-02.
- Rajwani, Hitesh (2014-01-02). "The Curious Case of Alok Nath - Why did Alok Nath Trend on Twitter". Hitesh Rajwani's Marketing Bytes. Retrieved 2014-01-04.
- "Alok Nath reacts to funny tweets about him". Gayatri Sankar. Zee News. Retrieved 2 January 2014.