Along Came Jones (film)
|Along Came Jones|
|Directed by||Stuart Heisler|
|Produced by||Gary Cooper
Walter Thompson (assoc. producer)
|Written by||Nunnally Johnson
Alan Le May (novel)
|Music by||Arthur Lange|
|Cinematography||Milton R. Krasner|
|Edited by||Thomas Neff|
|Distributed by||RKO Radio Pictures|
|Running time||90 minutes|
Along Came Jones is a 1945 Western comedy film starring Gary Cooper, Loretta Young, William Demarest, and Dan Duryea, in which Cooper mercilessly spoofs his own slow-talking cowboy persona. The movie was adapted by Nunnally Johnson from the novel Useless Cowboy by Alan Le May, and directed by Stuart Heisler.
The film's ironic title probably inspired the popular 1959 Coasters song "Along Came Jones" written by Leiber and Stoller; songwriter Mike Stoller had studied orchestration under Arthur Lange, the composer of the film's score.
Much of the movie was shot at the widely filmed Iverson Movie Ranch in Chatsworth, Calif. This was the only feature film produced by Cooper during his long movie career, and he had roots at Iverson, having worked there in The Lives of a Bengal Lancer (1935) and other productions. Cooper had a Western town built at the movie ranch for Along Came Jones, which was then used in many other productions during the next 10-plus years and became a fixture in B-Westerns in particular.
Easygoing Melody Jones (Gary Cooper) and his friend George Fury (William Demarest) wander into a town. Jones is mistaken for a wanted bandit named Monte Jarrad (Dan Duryea), which causes him no end of trouble. Meanwhile, the real Jarrad is hiding out in the home of his girl, Cherry de Longpre (Loretta Young). At first, she tries to use the newcomer to distract the townsfolk, but as she gets to know Jones, her feelings start to change.
- Gary Cooper as Melody Jones
- Loretta Young as Cherry de Longpre
- William Demarest as George Fury
- Dan Duryea as Monte Jarrad
- Frank Sully as Avery de Longpre
- Don Costello as Leo Gledhill
- Walter Sande as Ira Waggoner
- Russell Simpson as Pop de Longpre
- Arthur Loft as Sheriff
- Willard Robertson as Luke Packard
- Ray Teal as Kriendler
- Lane Chandler as Boone
- "Along Came Jones: Detail View". American Film Institute. Retrieved April 28, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Along Came Jones (film).|
- Along Came Jones at Dan Duryea Central
- Along Came Jones at the American Film Institute Catalog
- Along Came Jones at the TCM Movie Database
- Along Came Jones at the Internet Movie Database
- Along Came Jones at AllMovie
- Iverson Movie Ranch: History, vintage photos.
|This 1940s Western film-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|