Öztürk playing for Turkey U21 in 2013
|Full name||Alpaslan Öztürk|
|Date of birth||16 July 1993|
|Place of birth||Antwerp, Belgium|
|Height||1.86 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Right back / Midfielder|
|2014–||→ Kasımpaşa (loan)||10||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10:05, 14 July 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Alpaslan Öztürk (born 16 July 1993) is a footballer who plays for Turkish Süper Lig club Kasımpaşa, on loan from Belgian Pro League club Standard Liège, and for the Turkish A2 national team. A right back or midfielder, he began his club career with Beerschot before joining English club Birmingham City, where he spent two years without appearing for the first team. After two years in England, he returned to Beerschot, making his first-team debut in January 2012. After the club's 2013 relegation from the Pro League and subsequent bankruptcy left all their players out of contract, Öztürk signed for Standard Liège.
Early life and career
Öztürk was born in Antwerp, Belgium, and is of Turkish descent. He was part of the youth system at Berchem Sport before joining Germinal Beerschot at the age of 12, and then moved to England to join Birmingham City's Youth Academy in 2009. He played regularly in the under-18 and reserve teams, and in March 2011, was given a first-team squad number prior to the FA Cup sixth-round tie against Bolton Wanderers. In the absence through injury of Stephen Carr and Roger Johnson, and with Liam Ridgewell not fit enough to start, Öztürk was named among the substitutes for that game, but remained unused.
He was part of the Birmingham squad for their 2011 pre-season visit to Ireland, and played the second half of the friendly against Cork City. In August 2011, he left the club. It was reported that no agreement could be reached between Birmingham and Beerschot on a mutually acceptable way to structure a compensation fee.
Öztürk returned to Beerschot for the 2011–12 season. Playing as a midfielder rather than the right back position he usually occupied at Birmingham, he was an unused substitute for the first team's visit to Standard Liège in January 2012, made his debut as Beerschot beat K.V. Kortrijk in the Belgian Cup, and played the full 90 minutes on his first Belgian Pro League appearance as Beerschot beat Cercle Brugge 4–0 on 21 January. In February, his contract was extended to June 2016. Beerschot were relegated from the Pro League at the end of the 2012–13 season, and the club was subsequently declared bankrupt, which left the players out of contract.
As a free agent, Öztürk signed a five-year contract with Standard Liège on 13 June 2013. He made his Standard debut in the starting eleven against Lierse on 4 August, producing a calm, assured performance in his preferred position of defensive midfield. Öztürk kept his place, and contributed to Standard's qualification for the Europa League group stages.
Öztürk spent the second half of the 2013–14 season on loan to Turkish Süper Lig club Kasımpaşa. He started one match, a goalless draw away to Kayserispor, and made nine substitute appearances. In July, he rejoined Kasımpaşa, again on loan, for the 2014–15 season; the agreement included an option to make the transfer permanent.
Öztürk made his international debut for the Turkey under-18 team in November 2010, in the starting eleven for a friendly match against their German counterparts, and came off the substitutes' bench against the same opponents two days later. In January 2011, he was selected for his native Belgium's under-18 team, and was in the starting eleven for two friendlies against France U18. He played twice more a few weeks later in friendlies against Estonia U18, and twice more in the 2011 Slovakia Cup.
In August 2011, Öztürk moved up to the Belgium under-19 team, becoming a regular selection both in friendly matches and in qualification for the 2012 UEFA under-19 championships. He scored his first international goal in a 4–1 friendly defeat of Turkey on 7 September.
In February 2013, Öztürk was called up to the Turkish under-21 squad for the upcoming match against Norway, but played no part. He did appear for Turkey's under-20 side in two friendly matches against their Portuguese counterparts in March 2013 – in the first of the two, he scored the second goal in a 2–1 win. Selected for Turkey's squad for the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup, he started all three of Turkey's group matches and their second-round defeat to eventual winners France. Öztürk made his under-21 debut for Turkey in their opening qualification match for the 2015 European championships, a 4–0 home win against Malta.
- "A. Öztürk". Soccerway. Global Sports Media. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- "Player Details: Alpaslan Öztürk". Turkish Football Federation. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- "FIFA Under-20 World Cup Turkey 2013: Turkey: Squad list". FIFA. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "Ozturk promoted to first team squad". Birmingham City F.C. 11 March 2011. Archived from the original on 15 March 2011.
- "Voetbalkanjers: Alpaslan Ozturk" [Football talents: Alpaslan Ozturk] (in Dutch). Voetbalkrant. 24 March 2008. Retrieved 11 March 2011.
- "Birmingham 2 Bolton 3". Express & Star (Wolverhampton). 12 March 2011. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Cork City 0 Blues 1". Birmingham City F.C. 16 July 2011. Archived from the original on 30 August 2011.
- Tattum, Colin (17 August 2011). "Hughton insists Blues want a long stay in the Europa League". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- Baute, Olivier (9 September 2011). "Les U19 belges ont fait joujou avec la Turquie" [The Belgian U19s were playing with Turkey] (in French). Walfoot. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "Standard Liège vs. Beerschot". Soccerway. Global Sports Media. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "Beerschot vs. Kortrijk". Soccerway. Global Sports Media. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "Beerschot vs. Cercle Brugge". Soccerway. Global Sports Media. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "Beerschot gunt Öztürk nieuw contract" [Beerschot awards Öztürk a new contract]. Voetbalkrant (in Dutch). 2 February 2012. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Beerschot is failliet, De Wever puzzelt" [Beerschot is bankrupt, De Wever looks for solution]. sporza.be (in Dutch). 21 May 2013. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- Dyen, Bastien (13 June 2013). "Le turc Alpaslan Oztürk (ex-Beerschot) rejoint le Standard" [The Turk Alpaslan Oztürk (ex-Beerschot) joins Standard]. Le Soir (in French) (Belgium). Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "Alpaslan Oztürk rejoint les Rouches" [Alpaslan Oztürk joins the Rouches] (in French). Royal Standard de Liège. 13 June 2013. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- Sauvage, Kevin (6 August 2013). "'Alpaslan Öztürk est une valeur sûre'" [Alpaslan Oztürk is a safe bet]. La Dernière Heure (in French) (Belgium). Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- Sauvage, Kevin (5 August 2013). "Öztürk: 'Je dois garder les pieds sur terre'" [Oztürk: 'I have to keep my feet on the ground']. La Dernière Heure (in French) (Belgium). Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- "A. Öztürk". Soccerway. Global Sports Media. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Alpaslan Öztürk on loan to Kasimpasa". Royal Standard de Liège. 7 July 2014. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Match Details: 16.11.2010: Germany 4 Turkey 2". Turkish Football Federation. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- "Match Details: 18.11.2010: Germany 2 Turkey 0". Turkish Football Federation. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- "Moins de 18 ans: Rapports de matches" [Under-18s: Match reports] (in French). Royal Belgian Football Association. Retrieved 9 April 2011.
- "Slovakia Cup 2011". Royal Belgian Football Association. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- "Moins de 19 ans: Rapports de matches" [Under-19s: Match reports] (in French). Royal Belgian Football Association. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "1ier tour CE Slovénie" [1st round European Championships Slovenia] (in French). Royal Belgian Football Association. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "U21s squad announced for Norway friendly". Turkish Football Federation. 1 February 2013. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- "Turkey Portugal". Turkish Football Federation. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- "FIFA player statistics: Alpaslan Ozturk". FIFA. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- Alpaslan Öztürk at TFF.org
- Belgium stats at Belgian FA
- Alpaslan Öztürk – UEFA competition record
- Alpaslan Öztürk – FIFA competition record
- Alpaslan Ozturk career statistics at Soccerbase
- Profile at Birmingham City F.C. (via archive.org)
- Article from FourFourTwo magazine's Inside Track column