|Location||Pyeongchang, South Korea|
The decision to build Alpensia resort was taken in 2003, in the frame of the ambition of the Gangwon province to host the Winter Olympics. The resort was built on vacated farmlands and potato fields. The facility was completed in 2011.
In 2013, Alpensia Resort was one of the venues of the 2013 Special Olympics World Winter Games.
2018 Winter Olympics
The venues are the following:
- Alpensia Ski Jumping Stadium – Ski jumping, Nordic combined
- Alpensia Biathlon Centre – Biathlon
- Alpensia Nordic Centre– Cross-country skiing, Nordic combined
- Alpensia Sliding Centre – Luge, Bobsleigh and Skeleton
After the Olympics, Alpensia Resort will also host the 2018 Winter Paralympics.
In 2012, it was announced that Alpensia Resort was threatened by bankruptcy, having accumulated losses of $55 million annually. Although this has been denied by Kim Jin-sun from the POCOG in January 2003, the financial problems does not improve as of September 2013. Some Gangwon Congress members insisted to sell Alpensia before it's financial problems become too late. Others argued either to request financial support from the Government or to withdraw from the acceptance of the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics.
- Yoon, Chul (27 December 2011). "7 best ski and snowboard resorts in Korea". CNN Go. Retrieved 3 June 2012.
- "Gangwon-do » Pyeongchang-gun » Alpensia Resort". Korean Tourism Organization. Retrieved 2011-07-09.
- "Press Release: PyeongChang 2018 boosts cultural Olympiad plan with new Alpensia concert hall (SportsFeatures.com)". PyeongChang 2018 Bid Committee. 2010-07-23. Retrieved 2011-07-09.
- [dead link]
- "Pyeongchang2018 Volume 2 (Sport and Venues)". Pyeongchang2018.org. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Park Safe From Bankruptcy Says Kim - GamesBids - Robert Livingstone - Jan 31 2013
- "평창 알펜시아리조트 경영 정상화 해법 ‘난항’" [Alpensia Pyeongchang Resort Management improvement 'bogged'] (in Korean). The financial news. Yonhap News Agency. September 10, 2003.
- "강원도의회 “재정난 알펜시아 더 늦기 전 매각해야”" [Gangwon Congress "to sell Alpensia before it's financial problems too late"] (in Korean). News1 Korea. September 10, 2003.
|This South Korea location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a sports venue in South Korea is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|