Alpha Gamma Delta
|Alpha Gamma Delta|
|Founded||May 30, 1904
Syracuse University, (Syracuse, New York)
|Vision statement||'Live with Purpose'|
|Colors||Red Buff Green|
|Flower||Red and Buff Roses with Green asparagus ferns|
|Philanthropy||The Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation|
185Collegiate Chapters: 112 active collegiate chapters across North America
|Headquarters||8701 Founders Road
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Alpha Gamma Delta (ΑΓΔ) is an international women's fraternity, founded in 1904 at Syracuse University. The Fraternity promotes academic excellence, philanthropic giving, ongoing leadership and personal development, and a spirit of loving sisterhood. Also known as "Alpha Gam", Alpha Gamma Delta's current membership exceeds 150,000. There are currently 182 collegiate chapters, and over 250 alumnae clubs. The longest running active collegiate chapter is Delta Chapter at the University of Minnesota. However, since recolonization in 2010, the oldest active collegiate chapter is the Alpha Chapter at Syracuse University. Alpha Gamma Delta is a member of the Syracuse Triad along with Gamma Phi Beta and Alpha Phi.
Alpha Gamma Delta was officially founded on May 30, 1904 at the home of Dr. Wellesley Perry Coddington, a professor at Syracuse University who was instrumental in the early development of Alpha Gamma Delta. Each of the Fraternity's 11 founders were progressive women who selflessly contributed to the foundation and growth of Alpha Gamma Delta.The eleven female students; Marguerite Shepard, Estelle Shepard Beswick, Georgia Alberta Dickover, Jennie Titus Smith Morris, Ethel Evelyn Brown Distin, Grace Mosher Harter, Edith MacConnel Hickok, Mary Louise Snider, Georgia Otis Chipman, Emily Helen Butterfield and Flora Knight Mayer.
The organization's official designation as a "fraternity" rather than a "sorority" (often seen in the names of women's groups) derives from an early advisor, who noted that soror is a Latin word with no connection to the Greek traditions cited by many collegiate social groups like Alpha Gamma Delta. Many other Greek-letter organizations for women likewise refer to themselves as fraternities, though in the collective sense are generally called "sororities". The intent behind Alpha Gamma Delta's founding differed from other groups because it was founded to become a National Women's Fraternity rather than a local group or literary society.
While Alpha Gamma Delta does not have any official symbols, it does have official flowers, jewels, and colors. AGD's flowers are red and buff roses, with green asparagus plumosa fern. The jewel is the pearl. The colors are red, buff, and green.
Alpha Gamma Delta's National charity is the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation. The Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation was created in 1962 ensuring that the Fraternity's mission would live on into Alpha Gamma Delta's second century, It assists members through scholarship grants, wellness programs, leadership training and workshops. It also assists members in emergency financial need. The Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation is particularly devoted towards research surrounding Juveneille Diabetes. The Foundation makes grants to organizations and individuals for diabetes awareness and education. Diabetes research was chosen to be the focus of the foundation as diabetes "continues to affect our members and their friends, families and acquaintances." In 2011, the Delta Rho chapter at Sonoma State University was the top contributing chapter of the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation, donating over $14,000 solely from their annual philanthropic event, Lip Jam.
Alpha Gamma Delta is an international fraternity for women that exists to provide opportunities for personal development through the spirit of sisterhood:
- To support lifelong learning as a means to gain understanding and wisdom.
- To promote the value of fraternal membership and commitment to higher education.
- To help prepare members to contribute to the world's work.
- To advocate lifetime involvement in Alpha Gamma Delta.
Its vision is "Live with Purpose."
- Fran Allison (Pi) - radio and TV personality; (Kukla, Fran and Ollie)
- Amber Brkich (Alpha Epsilon) - television personality; (Winner of Survivor: All-Stars, contestant on Survivor: The Australian Outback, The Amazing Race)
- Beth Chapman (Gamma Upsilon) - Alabama Secretary of State
- Rita Coolidge (Gamma Beta) - singer
- Ashley Durham (Gamma Zeta) - model; Miss Tennessee USA 2011, Miss USA 2011 1st runner-up
- Donna Fargo (Gamma Eta) - singer
- Kay Ivey (Gamma Delta) - Former Alabama State Treasurer and current Lieutenant Governor of Alabama
- Gloria Loring (Delta Alpha) - singer, songwriter, author, and actress; (Days of our Lives)
- Karen McCullah Lutz (Gamma Mu) - screenwriter, author; (10 Things I Hate About You, Legally Blonde, She's the Man, The House Bunny)
- Dorothy Provine (Iota) - actress; (The Alaskans)
- Judy Baar Topinka (Lambda) - first female state treasurer in Illinois
- Barbara Jo Walker (Gamma Zeta) - Miss America, 1947
- Kerry-Lynne Findlay (Delta Zeta) - Member of Canadian House of Commons and Minister of National Revenue
- Carolyn Bennett (Tau) - Member of Canadian Parliament
- Alpha Gamma Delta's official website
- Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation official website
- Alpha Gamma Delta Chapter Houses Website