|Launched||27 September 1999|
|Owned by||Dimitris Kontominas|
|Picture format||16:9 (576i, SDTV)|
|Audience share||16.3% (23/12/2013 - 29/12/2013, AGB)|
|Formerly called||Skai and A-Sky|
|DVB-T||Channel 46, 24|
|NOVA Greece||Channel 109|
|OTE TV||Channel 110|
Alpha TV is a Greek terrestrial channel. It is one of the three biggest TV stations in Greece,after ANT1 and Mega. The station features a mix of Greek and foreign shows with an emphasis on information. The studios are located near Athens. Alpha TV is owned by Alpha Satellite Television S.A. 100% shareholder of which is the Alpha Media Group Ltd., a member of the DEMCO Group of Companies.
When the channel was called Skai TV, was written using Greek letters. It was Latinized and changed to a blue font in 1999, when Kontominas bought it from Ioannis Alafouzos. In September 1999, it became Alpha-Sky before changing to its present name in October of the same year. The logo was retained despite the changes in the channel's name. In 2006, the logo was changed to Alpha, the first letter of the Greek alphabet, to reflect the channel's popularity, and used a similarity of Swiss font letters. This A (alpha) logo is similar to the Attiki Odos logo. The font letters in 2003 changed and a circle was added over Alpha, but the two As (alphas) remain. In 2005, a new version was introduced and is colored with red, looking like the modern Adobe Logo and was updated prior to the launch of the 2007-2008 season.
In September 2008, Dimitris Kontominas sold a majority share (66.6%) of Alpha TV and Alpha Radio to Luxembourg media company RTL Group. Kontominas will continue to be involved with Alpha as he still owns 33.4% and has been named president of the new holding company called Alpha Media Group.
In March 2009, the company made significant changes to the news programming output. The afternoon news show has been cut to 15 minutes in duration and now airs at 13:00. The main evening news has also moved from the highly competitive slot of 20:00 and instead broadcasts at 19:00.
On January 5, 2012, RTL Group announced that they had reached an agreement to sell their share to minority owner Dimitris Kontominas, making him once again full owner of the channel. The deal is expected to be finalizing by the end of the first quarter of 2012. In March 2013, Bertelsmann said that they have divested Alpha TV.
- 1993: Skai TV was launched to compete with Mega Channel and ANT1 similar to ERT Channels. It began broadcasting with a heavy emphasis on news and sports. At the time, its sister station was the #1 ranked radio station in Athens, Skai 100.3 (then called Skai 100.4 FM).
- 1994: Skai TV began to exchange family/children's programs from Star Channel with Alpha's children's programming.
- 1999: Skai TV sold, renamed Alpha Sky and later A-Sky during a transition period.
- 1999: Renamed to Alpha TV.
- 2005: Alpha TV begins broadcast of Alpha Australia, the international network of Alpha and signs up with UBI World TV to make Alpha Australia available in Australia as well as the Asia - Africa.
- 2007: Alpha TV launches its channel Alpha Sat into North America on DirecTV.
- 2008: Alpha Australia debuts in New Zealand via UBI World TV.
- 2008: Alpha TV & Alpha Radio are sold to RTL Group, who now control majority share in the company.
- 2012 RTL Group sell their share to Dimitris Kontominas, giving him full control of the channel.
Current shows include:
- Deste tous (Watch them/Tie them) - The craziest group of Greek television is back after the great success of last season and promises to be even more caustic and enjoyable! Nikos Moutsinas and Maria Iliaki forefront having with them Katerina Kainourgiou and Giorgos Daskalos, daily at 16:00 from 26 September. With new and favorite sections Deste tous! continue and will be for another season your best afternoon companion. The much vaunted unity became fashion fans even in the political world, grows. So this year, in addition to the coveted prize of lame shoe for best-dressed of the week, will be awarded and the Olive slippers, the worst show of the week. Golden TV, the beloved and idiosyncratic standup comedy of Nikos, is back in a good mood to comment on current events and television to remind special moments of the past. And of course, the famous dance of Maria is expected to stir for another season crowds. These will add several new modules and original games that will be loved by them viewers. Deste tous!, and nothing will be left standing!. Airs Monday - Friday at 16:00pm.
- Alpha Idisis (Alpha News) - Daily newscast in Greek featuring news from Greece and around the world. Airs Mon-Fri at 12:00 and 19:00 & on the weekends at 14:00 & 19:00. Hosted by Maria Nikoltsiou and Efi Alevizou (M-F @ 13:00 & weekends @ 14:00), Antonis Sroiter (M-F @ 19:00) and Nikos Manesis (Weekends @ 19:00).
- Eleni (Helen) - Variety show featuring entertainment as well as segments on cooking, health, astrology, lifestyle, youth issues and more. Hosted by well-known presenter Eleni Menegaki. Airs Monday - Friday at 13:00.
- Mes Stn Kali Hara (Happily Happy!) - Weekend variety show, informative and entertaining. Hosted by Katerina Karavatou, airs Saturday & Sunday at 10:00.
- Stars System - Asi Mpiliou tells what the stars predict for life and future, with a lot of informations on the astrological predictions for the following week and month, famous personalities step by to talk about personal stuff and astrological questions, airs Saturdays at 14:00.
- Al Tsantiri News - a highly successful live satirical comedy show on its tenth season that features Lakis Lazopoulos giving his version of the news. Airs Tuesdays at 21:00.
- Fos Sto Tounel (Light in the tunnel) - Informative series that focuses on finding missing persons. Hosted by Aggeliki Nikolouli, airs Fridays at 23:15.
- Annita SOS - Entertainment and popular series that features various guests who wish to air their problems (whether real or fake). From those who want a shot at stardom to those looking for a love connection, this program has it all. Under the watchful eye of the audience, at the end of the show someone wins the 'big prize'. The show promises surprises, new games, countless gifts and much more. Hosted by Annita Pania, airs Saturday & Sunday at 17:00.
- Ellinofreneia - a highly successful satirical comedy show. Airs Monday and Tuesday at 21:00.
- Pame Paketo (Idiom meaning "we are always together") - popular talk show now in its fourth year, that deals with human interest stories such as reuniting people, fulfilling dreams and connecting individuals who want to correct past mistakes in their lives. Hosted by Viki Xatzivasileiou. Airs Thursdays at 21:00.
Greek TV series
- Dia tauta, comedy. Wednesday at 21:00
- Min arxizeis tin mourmoura, family comedy show. Airs Mondays and Thursdays at 21:00.
Foreign TV series
Alpha Sat is the international service of Alpha TV that broadcasts 'the best of Alpha' to audiences in Asia, Africa, Australia / New Zealand and North America. Alpha Sat launched in Australia in August 2005 and in 2008 in New Zealand and is available via UBI World TV. In June 2012, UBI World TV ceased operations, as a result Alpha Sat was temporarily unavailable to viewers in Australia. In January 2013, the channel re-launched via TV Plus, an upstart satellite provider.
On May 14, 2013, Alpha Sat was officially added to the CRTC's approved list of foreign services, allowing the channel to expand into Canada. Odyssey Television Network, who sponsored the application to get Alpha Sat on the approved list, is the official Canadian distributor of the channel.
- Theodore Andreadis Syngellakis
- Dimos Verikios
- Antonis Sroiter
- Nikos Manesis
- "RTL Group to exit Greek broadcasting market".
- "Bertelsmann is growing and progressing in reshaping the Group". Bertelsmann. March 26, 2013. Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "Addition of Alpha Sat to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis".
- Official site (Greek)