|Launched||20 September 1993|
|Owned by||Dimitris Kontominas|
|Picture format||16:9 (576i, SDTV)|
|Audience share||13.1% (13/5/2013 - 19/5/2013, AGB)|
|DVB-T||Channel 46, 24|
|NOVA Greece||Channel 109|
|OTE TV||Channel 110|
Alpha TV is a Greek terrestrial channel (prior to 2000: ΣΚΑΪ, the Greek spelling of Sky). The station features a mix of Greek and foreign shows with an emphasis on entertainment programs. The studios are located near Athens. Alpha TV is owned by Luxembourg media giant RTL Group; previous owner Dimitris Kontominas sold majority share in the channel to RTL Group in 2008.
Alpha TV's logo, when the channel was called Skaï, was written using Greek letters. It was Latinized and changed to a blue font in 1999, when Kontominas bought it from Ioannis Alafouzos. In September 1999 it became Alpha-Sky and later A-Sky before changing to its present name in October of the same year. The logo was retained despite the changes in the channel's name. In 2006 the name was changed again to Alpha, the first letter of the Greek alphabet, to reflect the channel's popularity, and used a similarity of Swiss font letters. This A (alpha) logo is similar to the Attiki Odos logo. The font letters in 2003 changed and a circle was added over Alpha, but the two As (alphas) remain. In 2005 a new version was introduced and is colored with red, looking like the modern Adobe Logo and was updated prior to the launch of the 2007-2008 season. Ratings are now in the middle range after the introduction of Alter.
In September 2008, Dimitris Kontominas sold a majority share (66.6%) of Alpha TV and Alpha Radio to Luxembourg media company RTL Group. Kontominas will continue to be involved with Alpha as he still owns 33.4% and has been named president of the new holding company called Alpha Media Group. 
In March 2009 the company made significant changes to the news programming output. The afternoon news show has been cut to 15 minutes in duration and now airs at 13:00. The main evening news has also moved from the highly competitive slot of 20:00 and instead broadcasts at 19:00.
On January 5, 2012, RTL Group announced that they had reached an agreement to sell their share to minority owner Dimtris Kontominas, making him once again full owner of the channel. The deal is expected to be finalizing by the end of the 1st quarter of 2012.
- 1993 Skai TV was launched to compete with Mega Channel and ANT1 similar to ERT Channels. It began broadcasting with a heavy emphasis on news and sports. At the time, its sister station was the #1 ranked radio station in Athens, Skai 100.3 (then called 'Skai 100.4 FM').
- 1994 Skai TV began to exchange family/children's programs from Star Channel with Alpha's children's programming.
- 1999 Alpha TV sold, renamed Alpha-Sky and later A-Sky during a transition period.
- 2000 Renamed to Alpha TV
- 2003 10th anniversary of the station
- 2005 Alpha TV begins broadcast of Alpha Australia, the international network of Alpha and signs up with UBI World TV to make Alpha Australia available in Australia as well as the Asia - Africa
- 2007 Alpha TV launches its channel Alpha Sat into North America on DirecTV
- 2008 Alpha Australia debuts in New Zealand via UBI World TV
- 2008 Alpha TV & Alpha Radio are sold to RTL Group, who now control majority share in the company
- 2012 RTL Group sell their share to Dimitris Kontominas, giving him full control of the channel
Current shows include:
- Deste tous (Watch them/Tie them) - The craziest group of Greek television is back after the great success of last season and promises to be even more caustic and enjoyable! Nikos Moutsinas and Maria Iliaki forefront having with them Katerina Kenourgiou, daily at 16:00 from 26 September. With new and favorite sections Deste tous! continue and will be for another season your best afternoon companion. The much vaunted unity became fashion fans even in the political world, grows. So this year, in addition to the coveted prize of lame shoe for best-dressed of the week, will be awarded and the Olive slippers, the worst show of the week. Golden TV, the beloved and idiosyncratic standup comedy of Nikos, is back in a good mood to comment on current events and television to remind special moments of the past. And of course, the famous dance of Maria is expected to stir for another season crowds. These will add several new modules and original games that will be loved by them viewers. Deste tous!, and nothing will be left standing!. Airs Monday - Friday at 4:00pm.
- Alpha Idisis (Alpha News) - Daily newscast in Greek featuring news from Greece and around the world. Airs Mon-Fri at 1pm and 7pm & on the weekends at 2pm & 7pm. Hosted by Maria Nikolitsou and Efi Alevizou (M-F @ 1pm & weekends @ 2pm), Antonis Sroiter (M-F @ 7pm) and Nikos Manesis (Weekends @ 7pm).
- Eleni (Helen) - Variety show featuring entertainment as well as segments on cooking, health, astrology, lifestyle, youth issues and more. Hosted by well-known presenter Eleni Menegaki. Airs Monday - Friday at 1pm.
- Mes Stn Kali Hara (Happily Happy!) - Weekend variety show, informative and entertaining. Hosted by Natalia Germanou, airs Saturday & Sunday at 10am.
- Stars System - Asi Mpiliou tells what the stars predict for life and future, with a lot of informations on the astrological predictions for the following week and month, famous personalities step by to talk about personal stuff and astrological questions, airs Sundays at 2.15pm.
- Al Tsantiri News - a highly successful live satirical comedy show on its fourth season that features Lakis Lazopoulos giving 'his version' of the news. Airs Tuesdays at 9pm.
- Efialtis! Stin Kouzina (A nightmare in the Kitchen) - reality series, Greek version of Kitchen Nightmares hosted by the famous chef Ettore Botrini. Airs Thursday at 10.15pm.
- Greek Idol - (Greek version of American Idol) It is hosted by Roula Koromila and the judges are Petros Kostopoulos, Kostas Kapetanides and Elli Kokkinou.
- Kati Psinete (Something's being cooked) - Greek version of Come Dine With Me. Reality programme featuring a cooking competition. Airs Monday to Friday at 8pm.
- Pame Paketo (Idiom meaning "we are always together") - popular talkshow now in its fourth year, that deals with human interest stories such as reuniting people, fulfilling dreams and connecting individuals who want to correct past mistakes in their lives. Hosted by Viki Xatzivasileiou. Airs Thursdays at 9pm.
Greek tv series 
Foreign TV series 
- Kitchen Nightmares
- American Idol (season 10)
- Everybody Loves Raymond
- King of Queens
- Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution
- Jamie's Dream School
- Jamie's 30 Minutes Meals
- Jamie's Ministry of Food
- Oliver's Twist
- Two and a Half Men
- Jamie at Home
- Jamie's Great Italian Escape
- Jamie's American Road Trip
- Jamie's Kitchen
- Jamie's Family Christmas
- Jamie Does
- How Clean Is Your House?
- Crusoe (TV series)
- Medical Investigation
- Beverly Hills, 90210
- The Nanny
- Sex and the City
- Mr. Bean
- Glass Home (BULGARIA) (cancelled due to low ratings)
- Aci Hayat (TURKEY)
- Menekse Ile Halil (TURKEY)
- Asmalı Konak (TURKEY)
- Bir İstanbul Masalı (TURKEY)
- Yer Gök Aşk (TURKEY)
- Lale Devri (TURKEY)
Alpha Sat 
Alpha Sat is the international service of Alpha TV that broadcasts 'the best of Alpha' to audiences in Asia, Africa, Australia / New Zealand and North America. Alpha Sat launched in Australia in August 2005 and in 2008 in New Zealand and is available via UBI World TV. In June 2012, UBI World TV ceased operations, as a result Alpha Sat was temporarily unavailable to viewers in Australia.. In January 2013, the channel re-launched via TV Plus, an upstart satellite provider.
On May 14, 2013, Alpha Sat was officially added to the CRTC's approved list of foreign services, allowing the channel to expand into Canada. Odyssey Television Network, who sponsored the application to get Alpha Sat on the approved list, is the official Canadian distributor of the channel.
See also 
- "Addition of Alpha Sat to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis".
- Official site (Greek)