Alpharetta High School
|Alpharetta High School|
|Alpharetta, Georgia, USA|
|Principal||Shannon N. Kersey (August 2011-)|
|Color(s)||Maroon, Silver, Black|
|Slogan||To be nationally competitive in academics, the arts, athletics, and service to the community|
Alpharetta High School is a public high school located in Alpharetta, Georgia, and is part of the Fulton County School System. Atlanta Magazine named Alpharetta High School one of the metro Atlanta area's best all-around high schools.
 Alpharetta Cluster
Alpharetta High is part of a cluster of schools that interact closely and educate students from grades K–12.
- Manning Oaks Elementary School
- Creek View Elementary School
- Lake Windward Elementary
- New Prospect Elementary School
- Webb Bridge Middle School
- Hopewell Middle School
Competitive sports at Alpharetta High School consist of football, basketball, baseball, ice and roller hockey, lacrosse, soccer, wrestling, tennis, track and field, cross country, volleyball, swimming, diving, cheerleading, and golf. Although not officially recognized by Georgia High School Association, additional athletic activities include rugby, fencing, ice hockey, roller hockey, and ping pong.
Specifically, fall sports include cheerleading, cross country, football, softball and volleyball. Winter sports include boys and girls basketball, cheerleading, fencing, swim & dive team, and wrestling. Finally, spring sports include baseball, golf, gymnastics, boys and girls lacrosse, boys and girls soccer, tennis, and track & field.
Among the varsity teams, boys' lacrosse, girls' track and field, baseball, boys' golf, and competition cheerleading have been successful at state championships. In November 2010, the boys' varsity lacrosse team won the Fall LB3 Varsity Lacrosse Championship. The boys' tennis team became the first team in school history to win a state ring defeating Walton in the AAAAA state finals by a score of 3-0. The win capped an undefeated (23-0) 2010 season. Also, the girls' cheerleading team was the 2010 AAAAA state champions.
On May 21, 2010 the Alpharetta Phoenix team was the first high school rugby team from Georgia to compete in the National Championships.
Alpharetta has won numerous awards in a variety of fields.
- Recipient of the 2007-2008 Governors Cup for the AAAAA school with the highest increase in SAT scores.Governors Office of Student Achievement
- The Academic Team won the 2007–2008 Annual High Q competition, which is hosted by Chuck Dowdle and airs on WSB-TV. They were originally alternates for the competition.
- Alpharetta High School was nationally ranked in "Newsweek's Best High Schools 2012" coming in at 268.
- The 2008 Girls Cross Country team was Region 6-AAAAA champions and placed 6th in the state.
- The 2007 Girls Track and Field team was Region 6-AAAAA Champions and placed 7th in the state.
- The 2009 Competition Cheerleaders were Region 6-AAAAA Champions and placed 7th in the state.
- The 2010 Boys Tennis Team won the school's first state championship (AAAAA).
- The 2012 Boys Tennis Team won the state championship (AAAAA).
On March 27, 2010, the Alpharetta High School Team won the State Championships by defeating Creekview 5-0, Dunwoody 5-0, Greater Atlanta Christian School 5-0, Pace Academy 5-0, and Northview 5-0. This makes them the first chess team in Georgia history to win a state championship with a perfect 25-0
 Speech and Debate Team
- The school's Varsity Speech and Debate Team placed 2nd in the State Championship in Spring 2009 (2008-2009 Records)
- The school's Varsity Speech and Debate Team placed 5th at the All-State competition in 2009. (2008-2009 Records)
 The Arts
The school's symphony orchestra, composed of nearly 90 select band and orchestra students, was chosen to perform at Chicago's 2012 Midwest Clinic. Of thousands of schools that auditioned all over the world, Alpharetta was one of only several that were chosen.
Alpharetta High School is home to 61 percent Caucasian, 8 percent Hispanic, 12 percent African American, 15 percent Asian, and 4 percent multi-racial.
- http://www.atlantamagazine.com/schoolguide2011/home.aspx[dead link]
- Georgia HS rugby on the rise. (2010, June 29). Retrieved from http://www.rugbymag.com/news/high-school/boys/georgia-hs-rugby-on-the-rise.aspx
- "Region 6-AAAAA Meet Varsity Girls". Milesplit.us. Retrieved 2009-11-27.
- "GHSA State Cross Country Championships Girls AAAAA". Milesplit.us. Retrieved 2009-11-27.
- http://www.georgiachess.org.downloads/2010 HS Team Standings.xls
- https://portal.fultonschools.org/schools/High/Alpharetta/Pages/profile.aspx[dead link] Fultonschools.org. Retrieved 2010-08-19