Alpine Township, Michigan
|Alpine Township, Michigan|
|• Total||36.0 sq mi (93.2 km2)|
|• Land||35.8 sq mi (92.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||843 ft (257 m)|
|• Density||389.9/sq mi (150.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1625834|
Alpine Township is a civil township of Kent County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The township became a charter township in 1979, but in 1996, the township de-chartered and returned to general law status. As of the 2000 census, the township population was 13,976. The township is located northwest of Grand Rapids and is bordered by Wright township in Ottawa County to the west, Sparta Township to the north, Plainfield Charter Township to the east, and the City of Walker to the south.
- The unincorporated community of Alpine is located within the township at and is centered around a large commercial district along route M-37, which runs north-south along the eastern portion of the township.
- Englishville an unincorporated community was founded in 1845. A school was built here in 1852 and it received a post office in 1856.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.0 square miles (93 km2), of which, 35.8 square miles (93 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (0.39%) is water. At 36 square miles (93 km2) in area, none of the original township land has been annexed by other municipalities.
As of the census of 2000, there were 13,976 people, 5,550 households, and 3,468 families residing in the township. The population density was 389.9 per square mile (150.5/km²). There were 5,830 housing units at an average density of 162.6 per square mile (62.8/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 89.55% White, 3.11% African American, 0.77% Native American, 1.51% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 2.85% from other races, and 2.17% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.55% of the population.
There were 5,550 households out of which 31.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.5% were married couples living together, 11.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.5% were non-families. 24.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.04.
In the township the population was spread out with 25.0% under the age of 18, 17.3% from 18 to 24, 30.4% from 25 to 44, 18.6% from 45 to 64, and 8.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 29 years. For every 100 females there were 101.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.6 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $42,484, and the median income for a family was $50,068. Males had a median income of $37,143 versus $26,417 for females. The per capita income for the township was $20,412. About 6.9% of families and 8.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.3% of those under age 18 and 5.8% of those age 65 or over.
Portions of the township are in Kenowa Hills Public Schools, which has its headquarters in the township. Schools within the township limits include Alpine Elementary School, Kenowa Hills Middle School, and Kenowa Hills High School.
Portions of the township are in Comstock Park Public Schools. Greenridge Elementary School serves preschool, kindergarten and PPI. Stoney Creek Elementary School has grades 1 and 2. Pine Island Elementary School serves 3 through 5. Mill Creek Middle School has grades 6 through 8. Comstock Park High School serves grades 9 through 12. Of the schools, Greenridge Elementary and Stoney Creek Elementary are in the Alpine Township limits.
Portions of the township are in the Sparta Area School District. Ridgeview Elementary School serves kindergarten through second grade. Appleview Elementary School serves grades 3 through 5. Sparta Middle School serves grades 6 through 8. Sparta Senior High School serves grades 9 through 12. Engishville School is an alternative high school and serves grades 9 through 12. Englishville School is the only school within the township limits.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Alpine Township, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Alpine, Michigan
- Walter Romig, Michigan Place Names, p. 184
- "2010 Zoning Map ADOPTED BY THE ALPINE TOWNSHIP BOARD JUNE 18, 1990 AS AMENDED THROUGH ORD. No. 10-01." (Archive) Alpine Township, Michigan. Retrieved on December 27, 2012.
- "Welcome to Kenowa Hills Public Schools." Kenowa Hills Public Schools. Retrieved on December 25, 2012. "2325 Four Mile Road NW Grand Rapids, MI 49544"
- "Welcome to Alpine Elementary." Kenowa Hills Public Schools. Retrieved on December 27, 2012. "4730 Baumhoff NW Comstock Park, MI 49321"
- "Welcome to Kenowa Hills Middle School." Kenowa Hills Middle School. Retrieved on December 27, 2012. "3950 Hendershot NW Grand Rapids, MI 49544"
- "Welcome to Kenowa Hills High School." Kenowa Hills High School. Retrieved on December 27, 2012. "3825 Hendershot NW Grand Rapids, MI 49544-9794 "
- "ABOUT OUR DISTRICT." Comstock Park Public Schools. Retrieved on December 25, 2012.
- "Schools." Comstock Park Public Schools. Retrieved on December 27, 2012. "Greenridge Elementary Pre-School & ECSE 3825 Oakridge, NE Comstock Park, MI 49321" and "Stoney Creek Elementary Grades: K, 1, 2 200 Lantern Dr. NW Comstock Park, MI 49321" and "Pine Island Elementary Grades 3, 4, & 5 6101 Pine Island Drive Comstock Park, MI 49321" and "Comstock Park High School Grades 9-12 150 Six Mile Rd. NE Comstock Park, MI 49321-0900"
- "KDL Branch Library." Alpine Township, Michigan. Retrieved on December 27, 2012. "KDL Library Branch 5255 Alpine Ave NW Comstock Park, MI 49321"
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Comstock Park CDP, MI." (Archive) U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on December 25, 2012.