Alpine performing at St Jerome's Laneway Festival in Brisbane, 1 February 2013
|Genres||Indie pop, alternative dance|
|Labels||Ivy League Records, Votiv Records|
The band were originally known as Swiss before deciding to change their name on account of a similar-sounding Australian band, The Swiss. As Alpine, they released their debut EP, Zürich, in 2010.
Preceded by the "Hands" single in late 2011, their debut album, A Is for Alpine, was released in Australia in 2012 and in the US in 2013. The album was featured on Triple J prior to its release, and debuted at No. 1 on the Australian iTunes chart and No. 11 on the ARIA chart.
The album's second single, "Gasoline," was released in July 2012. It reached No. 31 in the 2012 Triple J Hottest 100, and was described by Pitchfork as an "unforgettably light and charismatic gem."
Alpine were nominated for "Best Breakthrough Artist - Release" and "Best Video" (for "Hands") at the 2012 ARIA Music Awards. They toured the United States in March 2013, playing shows in Los Angeles and New York, and in September made their US television debut on Jimmy Kimmel Live!. At the APRA Music Awards of 2013, the band members were nominated for Breakthrough Songwriter of the Year.
Rolling Stone magazine called Alpine a "Band to Watch" in July 2013, and they have been touted similarly by Guardian, Time and Vice magazines, and influential radio programs KCRW and NPR's All Songs Considered.
- A Is for Alpine (2012, Ivy League)
- Yuck (2015, Ivy League)
Singles and EPs
- Zürich EP (2010, Ivy League)
- "Hands" single (2011, Ivy League)
- "Gasoline" single (2012, Ivy League)
- Phoebe Baker — vocals, guitar, keyboards (2009-present)
- Lou James — vocals, percussion (2009-present)
- Christian O'Brien — guitar (2009-present)
- Ryan Lamb — bass (2009-present)
- Tim Royall — keyboards, guitar, percussion (2009-present)
- Phil Tucker — drums, percussion (2009-present)
- iTunes - Music - Zurich by Alpine Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- AllMusic: A Is For Alpine Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- VOTIV: Alpine Makes U.S. Debut Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- A Is For Alpine: triple j music reviews Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- iTunesCharts.net: 'A Is For Alpine' by Alpine Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- ARIA Australia Top 50 Albums | Australia's Official Top 50 Albums - ARIA Charts Retrieved 22 March 2013
- Sapphires Reach ARIA Chart Summit As Alpine Debut At 11 ♫ Latest news at theMusic.com.au Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- 40-21 | Hottest 100 - 2012 | triple j Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- Alpine: "Gasoline" | Tracks | Pitchfork" Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- Winners By Year - 27th ARIA Awards 2013 Retrieved on 14 November 2013.
- Jimmy Kimmel Live! - Bill Hader, Richard Simmons, Alpine Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "Breakthrough Songwriter of the Year". Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA) | Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society (AMCOS). 2013. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- Band to Watch: Alpine - Video | Rolling Stone Retrieved 11 November 2013
- New band of the day – No 1,161: Alpine | Music | theguardian.co.uk Retrieved on 11 November 2013
- Band to Watch: Alpine | TIME.com Retrieved on 11 November 2013.
- Alpine’s Guide to Touring | NOISEY Retrieved on 11 November 2013
- Alpine: Artist You Should Know | KCRW Music Blog Retrieved on 11 November 2013.
- New Music: Superchunk, John Vanderslice, Lily & Madeleine, More : All Songs Considered : NPR Retrieved November 2013.
|This article on an Australian band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|