Alpine performing at St Jerome's Laneway Festival in Brisbane, 1 February 2013
|Labels||Ivy League Records, Votiv Records|
Alpine are an Australian indie pop band from Melbourne, Victoria. Forming in 2009, they were originally known as Swiss before deciding to change their name on account of a similar-sounding Australian band, The Swiss. As Alpine, they released their debut EP Zurich in 2010, and their debut album A Is for Alpine in Australia in 2012 and in the US in 2013. The album was featured on Triple J prior to its release, and debuted at #1 on the Australian iTunes chart and #11 on the ARIA chart.
The album's second single, "Gasoline," was released in July 2012. It reached #31 in the 2012 Triple J Hottest 100, and was described by Pitchfork Media as an "unforgettably light and charismatic gem."
Alpine were nominated for "Best Breakthrough Artist - Release" and "Best Video" (for "Hands") at the 2012 ARIA Music Awards. They toured the United States in March 2013, playing shows in Los Angeles and New York, and in September made their US television debut on Jimmy Kimmel Live!.
Rolling Stone magazine called Alpine a "Band to Watch" in July 2013, and they have been touted similarly by Guardian, Time and Vice magazines, and influential radio programs KCRW and NPR's All Songs Considered.
- Zurich EP (2010, Ivy League)
- A Is for Alpine (2012, Ivy League)
- Phoebe Baker – vocals
- Lou James – vocals, percussion
- Christian O'Brien – guitar
- Ryan Lamb – bass
- Tim Royall – keyboards, guitar, percussion
- Phil Tucker – drums
- iTunes - Music - Zurich by Alpine Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- AllMusic: A Is For Alpine Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- VOTIV: Alpine Makes U.S. Debut Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- A Is For Alpine: triple j music reviews Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- iTunesCharts.net: 'A Is For Alpine' by Alpine Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- ARIA Australia Top 50 Albums | Australia's Official Top 50 Albums - ARIA Charts Retrieved 22 March 2013
- Sapphires Reach ARIA Chart Summit As Alpine Debut At 11 ♫ Latest news at theMusic.com.au Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- 40-21 | Hottest 100 - 2012 | triple j Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- Alpine: "Gasoline" | Tracks | Pitchfork" Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- Winners By Year - 27th ARIA Awards 2013 Retrieved on 14 November 2013.
- Jimmy Kimmel Live! - Bill Hader, Richard Simmons, Alpine Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- Band to Watch: Alpine - Video | Rolling Stone Retrieved 11 November 2013
- New band of the day – No 1,161: Alpine | Music | theguardian.co.uk Retrieved on 11 November 2013
- Band to Watch: Alpine | TIME.com Retrieved on 11 November 2013.
- Alpine’s Guide to Touring | NOISEY Retrieved on 11 November 2013
- Alpine: Artist You Should Know | KCRW Music Blog Retrieved on 11 November 2013.
- New Music: Superchunk, John Vanderslice, Lily & Madeleine, More : All Songs Considered : NPR Retrieved November 2013.
|This article on an Australian band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|