An alpine slide is a long chute on the side of a hill, usually built by ski resorts to supplement summer income. A wheeled cart is used to navigate the slide. The ride is similar to a bobsled ride, except that it rolls over a smooth track — generally concrete, stainless steel, or fiberglass — rather than sliding on ice. The cart accommodates one or two passengers and is controlled by a hand brake located between the rider's legs. Pulling the hand brake handle causes the cart to stop; pushing or letting go of the handle causes the brakes to release, allowing the cart to accelerate. The ride is unique among amusement park rides in that the rider has complete control over his or her speed and ride experience. With this control comes responsibility: the rider must ensure the cart is not going too fast; otherwise the cart may overturn around curves, leading to possible injury or death.
Alpine slide locations
- Spielpark Leutasch, Leutasch, TIR (1 concrete slide)
- Peoples Republic of China
- Mutianyu Great Wall, Mutianyu, PRC (1 steel slide)
- Sankt Andreasberg (1 concrete slide)
- United States
- Alpine slide at Magic Mountain Big Bear Lake CA (2 concrete slides)
- Attitash Mountain Resort, Bartlett NH (2 concrete slides)
- Breckenridge Ski Resort, Breckenridge CO (3 fiberglass slides)
- Bromley Mountain, Manchester VT (3 concrete slides)
- Chestnut Mountain, Galena IL (2 slides)
- Crystal Mountain, Thompsonville MI
- Durango Mountain Resort, Durango CO (2 concrete slides)
- Heritage Square, Golden CO (2 slides)
- Snow King Resort, Jackson WY
- Kentucky Action Park, Cave City KY
- Lutsen Mountains, Lutsen MN
- Mount Hood Skibowl, Mount Hood OR
- Ober Gatlinburg, Gatlinburg TN (2 fiberglass slides)
- Park City Mountain Resort, Park City UT (4 fiberglass slides)
- Rushmore Tramway and President's Slide, Keystone SD
- Seven Springs Mountain Resort, Somerset PA (2 concrete slides)
- Steamboat Ski Resort, Steamboat Springs CO
- Jiminy Peak, Hancock MA
- Utah Olympic Park, Park City UT (1 steel slide)
- Wild Mountain, Taylors Falls MN
- Whitefish Mountain Resort, Whitefish MT
- Winter Park Resort, Winter Park CO
Previous alpine slide locations
- Blue Mountain, Collingwood ON
- Canada Olympic Park (formerly Paskapoo Ski Hill), Calgary, AB
- Sugarloaf Provincial Park, Campbellton NB (2 concrete slides)
- United States
- Action Park, Vernon Township NJ
- Boston Hills, North Andover MA
- Camelback Ski Area, Tannersville PA
- Killington Ski Resort, Killington VT (2 concrete slides at Pico)
- Mount Rowe, Gilford NH
- Mount Tom, Holyoke MA
- Raccoon Mountain Recreation Area, Chattanooga TN
- Pleasant Mountain, Bridgton ME
- Stowe Mountain Resort, Stowe VT
- Ski Boreal, Soda Springs, California
- Ski Broadmoor, Colorado Springs CO
- Song Mountain, Tully NY
- Mad River Mountain ski resort Zanesfield, Ohio
- Breckenridge ski resort, Breckenridge, Colorado
- "Jiminy Peak Mountain Adventure Park - Rides and Activities in the Berkshires - Family activities in New England | Jiminy Peak Mountain Resort - Hancock, Massachusetts, MA". Jiminypeak.com. Retrieved 2013-01-12.
- "wildmountain.com". wildmountain.com. Retrieved 2013-01-12.
- "Whitefish Mountain Resort at Big Mountain in Whitefish, Montana". Skiwhitefish.com. Retrieved 2013-01-12.
- Jeremy Davis. "Mount Rowe/Alpine Ridge Ski Area". Nelsap.org. Retrieved 2013-01-12.
- "Shawnee Peak History - Maine - NewEnglandSkiHistory.com:".
- "SUMMER FUN & SCENIC BEAUTY AT THE BRECKENRIDGE ALPINE SLIDE".