|Systematic (IUPAC) name|
|Pregnancy cat.||C (US)|
|Legal status||Rx only Canada|
|ATC code||C01 G04|
|Mol. mass||354.481 g/mol|
|(what is this?)|
Prostaglandin E1 (PGE1) is a prostaglandin.
The synthetic variant is known pharmaceutically as alprostadil. It is a drug used in the continuous treatment of erectile dysfunction. and has vasodilatory properties. Misoprostol is another synthetic prostaglandin E1 (PGE1) analog that is used to prevent gastric ulcers when taken on a continuous basis, to treat missed miscarriage, to induce labor, and to induce abortion.
Medical uses of Alprostadil
Patent ductus arteriosus
Alprostadil is also used in maintaining a patent ductus arteriosus in newborns. This is primarily useful when there is threat of premature closure of the ductus arteriosus in an infant with ductal-dependent congenital heart disease, including cyanotic lesions (e.g., pulmonary atresia/stenosis, tricuspid atresia/stenosis, transposition of the great arteries) and acyanotic lesions (e.g., coarctation of the aorta, hypoplastic left heart syndrome, critical aortic stenosis, interrupted aortic arch).
Alprostadil is sold in the United States as urethral suppositories and in injectable form. The suppositories are sold under the brand name MUSE. The injectable forms are Edex and Caverject. Muse delivers alprostadil as a penile suppository, inserted into the urethra, at least ten minutes before the erection will be needed. Caverject and Edex are similarly fast-acting, but instead are injected by syringe directly into the corpus cavernosum of the penis.
Alprostadil is also available as a generic. The major cost is that it must be mixed by a compounding pharmacy and supplies of alprostadil may be difficult to obtain. There are different formulations, including Bimix and Trimix, which may include papaverine and/or phentolamine. A typical mix might be 30 mg of papaverine, 2 mg of phentolamine, and 20 mcg alprostadil. As a generic, it is much less expensive than the pre-packaged injectables. It is premixed and must be kept refrigerated and the user must load a syringe with the quantity needed.
Critical limb ischemia
Alprostadil is also used for critical limb ischemia. It increases blood flow by peripheral vasodilation within 5 minutes and induces angiogenesis. It is most effective when the ankle pressure is at least 30 mmHg and at least one tibial artery is patent.
- Accidental injury ( Muse only)
- Cardiac arrest
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
- Cortical proliferation of long bones
- Disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC)
- Injection-site haematoma
- Injection-site ecchymosis ( Caverject only)
- Testicular (Muse only)
- Prolonged erection
- Penile fibrosis
- Second-degree heart block
- Spasm of right ventricle infundibulum
- Supraventricular tachycardia
- Ventricular fibrillation
- Urethral burning
- Uterine rupture
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2013)|
- Cawello W, Leonhardt A, Schweer H, Seyberth HW, Bonn R, Lomeli AL (September 1995). "Dose proportional pharmacokinetics of alprostadil (prostaglandin E1) in healthy volunteers following intravenous infusion". British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 40 (3): 273–6. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2125.1995.tb05784.x. PMC 1365109. PMID 8527291.
- Harding LM, Adeniyi A, Everson R, Barker S, Ralph DJ, Baranowski AP (December 2002). "Comparison of a needle-free high-pressure injection system with needle-tipped injection of intracavernosal alprostadil for erectile dysfunction". International Journal of Impotence Research 14 (6): 498–501. doi:10.1038/sj.ijir.3900916. PMID 12494285.
- "Muse Suppository - Facts and Comparisons". Drugs.com. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- Edex - Facts and Comparisons Drugs.com
- Caverject - Facts and Comparisons Drugs.com
- Stephanie M. Meller, BA, Erik Stilp, MD, Charles N. Walker, MD, Carlos Mena-Hurtado, MD (June 2013). "The Link Between Vasculogenic Erectile Dysfunction, Coronary Artery Disease, and Peripheral Artery Disease: Role of Metabolic Factors and Endovascular Therapy". Journal of Invasive Cardiology. 25 (6): 313–319.