|• Total||22.88 km2 (8.83 sq mi)|
|Elevation||996 m (3,268 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2013)|
|• Density||26/km2 (68/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Einsiedeln, Oberiberg, Rothenthurm, Schwyz|
Alpthal is first mentioned in 1018 as Albetal.
Alpthal has an area, as of 2006[update], of 22.9 km2 (8.8 sq mi). Of this area, 32.4% is used for agricultural purposes, while 62.8% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 1.6% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (3.2%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
Alpthal has a population (as of 31 December 2013) of 597. As of 2007[update], 4.9% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 28%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (97.8%), with Albanian being second most common ( 1.8%) and Portuguese being third ( 0.4%).
As of 2000[update] the gender distribution of the population was 52.4% male and 47.6% female. The age distribution, as of 2008[update], in Alpthal is; 128 people or 28.8% of the population is between 0 and 19. 131 people or 29.4% are 20 to 39, and 106 people or 23.8% are 40 to 64. The senior population distribution is 51 people or 11.5% are 65 to 74. There are 25 people or 5.6% who are 70 to 79 and 4 people or 0.90% of the population who are over 80.
Alpthal has an unemployment rate of 0.66%. As of 2005[update], there were 48 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 21 businesses involved in this sector. 14 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 5 businesses in this sector. 46 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 12 businesses in this sector.
From the 2000 census[update], 385 or 86.5% are Roman Catholic, while 34 or 7.6% belonged to the Swiss Reformed Church. There are 8 people (or about 1.80% of the population) who are Islamic. 10 (or about 2.25% of the population) belong to no church, are agnostic or atheist, and 8 individuals (or about 1.80% of the population) did not answer the question.
The historical population is given in the following table:
Alpthal has an average of 161.9 days of rain per year and on average receives 2,096 mm (82.5 in) of precipitation. The wettest month is June during which time Alpthal receives an average of 249 mm (9.8 in) of precipitation. During this month there is precipitation for an average of 16.2 days. The driest month of the year is January with an average of 129 mm (5.1 in) of precipitation over 16.2 days.
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistics Office – STAT-TAB Ständige und Nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Region, Geschlecht, Nationalität und Alter (German) accessed 18 August 2014
- Alpthal in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 28-Aug-2009
- Canton Schwyz Statistics (German) accessed 27 August 2009
- "Temperature and Precipitation Average Values-Table, 1961-1990" (in German, French, and Italian). Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology - MeteoSwiss. Retrieved 8 May 2009., the weather station elevation is 1031 meters above sea level.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alpthal.|