Alright (Darius Rucker song)
|Single by Darius Rucker|
|from the album Learn to Live|
|Released||April 20, 2009|
|Darius Rucker singles chronology|
"Alright" is a song co-written and recorded by American singer Darius Rucker, lead vocalist of the rock band Hootie & the Blowfish. It was released in April 2009 as the third single from his first country music album Learn to Live. Rucker co-wrote the song with producer Frank Rogers.
"Alright" is a mid-tempo in which the male narrator lists off the various pleasantries that he does not need, such as fancy food and wine. He then lists off what he does have, and says that he is "alright" because of it. Rucker wrote the song with Frank Rogers, who produced the album. The two had already written the song "All I Want," in which the divorced narrator wishes to be left alone; after writing that song, Rucker decided to invert the theme and write a song about a man who is happily married.
A music video for the song debuted in June 2009. It is directed by Wayne Isham, who directed the videos for Rucker's previous two singles as well. The video was voted in #34 on GAC's Top 50 Videos of the Year list.
Dan Milliken of Country Universe gave the song a D rating. He criticized the song's theme, which he considered highly overused and "dumbed-down", but added that Rucker's vocals showed a sense of personality. Engine 145 reviewer Karlie Justus gave a thumbs-down rating, saying that the song is "a peppy piece of commercial fluff that will fare well on country radio. Unfortunately, despite the pervasive steel guitar, [Capitol Records executive Mike] Dungan is correct—it's a lot more Hootie and a lot less Haggard."
"Alright" debuted at numbier 56 on the Hot Country Songs chart for the chart week of April 25, 2009. The song entered the Top 40 in its third chart week. The song has become Rucker's third consecutive Number 1 single on the country charts, as well as third consecutive solo Top 40 pop hit. With its ascent to Number 1, Rucker has become the first country music singer since Wynonna Judd to send his or her first three singles to the top of the country charts. It has sold 1,197,000 copies in the US as of May 2013.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||30|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||61|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||8|
"People Are Crazy"
by Billy Currington
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
August 15, 2009
"You Belong with Me"
by Taylor Swift
- Conaway, Alanna (2009-09-07). "Story Behind the Song: "Opposite" Song Delivers Smash". Country Weekly 16 (30): 21.
- Milliken, Dan (2009-04-09). "Darius Rucker - "Alright"". Country Universe. Archived from the original on 12 April 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- Justus, Karlie (2009-05-20). "Darius Rucker - "Alright"". Engine 145. Retrieved 2009-07-18.
- Trust, Gary (2009-08-05). "Chart Beat: Darius Rucker, Mariah Carey, Brad Paisley, Wilco". Billboard. Retrieved 2009-08-06.
- Paul Grein (May 8, 2013). "Week Ending May 5, 2013. Songs: Macklemore Pulls A Gaga". Yahoo Music (Chart Watch). Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- "Darius Rucker Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Darius Rucker.
- "Darius Rucker Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Darius Rucker.
- "Darius Rucker Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Darius Rucker.
- "Best of 2009: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2009. Retrieved December 13, 2009.
- "American single certifications – Darius Rucker – Alright". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH