|Birth name||Alston Koch|
21 July 1951 |
Colombo, Sri Lanka
|Genres||Ambient, pop, jazz, blues, folk, trance|
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, composer, arranger, actor|
|Associated acts||The Sherifs|
Alston Koch Facebook
He migrated to Sydney where he was most successful in the Entertainment Industry recording for RCA/Laser Records & the major Australian TV network Channel 9's LIVING SOUND label.
In Australia, he formed his band DARK TAN, recorded three international hits on the RCA label. He toured the world, first with Darktan, then S-witch, and later as a solo artist. With Darktan, Koch appeared on all the major television programs in Australia.
Alston Koch was also commissioned by the TASK FORCE to write, produce & perform 'THE AMERICA'S CUP album in 1986 which was the biggest and most expensive sporting event of our times.The album released by EMI/Laser was called 'THE KOOKOBURRA CONNECTION' with the theme song 'KOOKABURRA' being the first international video to be played on MTV (USA) and CNN, BBC etc. during the period of the telecast of the race.
His first self written major hit, "Disco Lady", earned him his first gold record. The song also won him the 'best new talent' at the 1979 International Disc Jockey Association Awards & DARK TAN won Australia's OBSERVER newspaper's 'Best Disco Band' award as well in 1979.
Koch also introduced 'The Bus Stop', which became a dance craze, when performing the song on the TV program, Bandstand.
3 Gold Awards & 1 Platinum Award from ARIA (accredited) Alston Koch who is a writer full member of APRA,also a member of AMCOS, PPCA, was recently admitted as a member of 'THE RECORDING ACADEMY' (The GRAMMY Academy) in the USA while meeting their stringent criteria of membership.
Since 2007, he has fulfilled a voluntary position as Ambassador for Tourism in Sri Lanka. In the same year, Koch wrote and performed an official song for The Sri Lankan cricketer and world record holder & world champion Muttiah Muralitharan. The song and music video was played throughout the cricket playing nations of the World including the very conservative BBC and the ABC.
In 2008, Koch wrote a song about climate change for a UNWTO presentation at The World Travel Mart Exhibition in London. The song was presented by Geoofrey Lipman Chairman of ICTP at the 'Live the Deal Climate Change' conference in Copenhagen. Alston Koch is the goodwill Ambassador for the campaign, and the song has been promoted globally by ICTP in their campaign for green growth.
In 2009, he was appointed to the committee for the Cricket World Cup 2011 tournament staged in India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, and was the official 'GOODWILL AMBASSADOR' for the tournament.
In 2010, he was inducted into the Hard Rock Hotel's 'Hall of Fame' at a ceremony in Pattaya, Thailand, with his album, Kookaburra was installed on the venue's 'Golden Wall of Memorabilia'. The same year Koch was also appointed chairman of the organising committee for the launch of 2,600 years of Buddhism in Sri Lanka, held in May 2011.
In April 2012 his latest album "Don't Funk With Me" produced by the Sherifs, debuted at No.42 on the official ARIA top 50 Albums chart, eventually peaking at No.1 surpassing such acts like Coldplay, Nicki Minaj, Bruno Mars and Whitney Houston. It marks first time an Asian musical act ever to appear and peak in the chart. So far the album has spawned two singles, 'Soul Sounds' and 'Don't know why'.
Koch is the only Sri Lankan born solo artist signed to an international record label (BMG/RCA) with chart success in most territories of the world.
- Don't Stop it Now (written by Errol Brown) Koch and Darktan, [Living Sound Records]
- All the People Sing this Song (written by Koch and Darktan) [Laser]
- Disco Lady (written by Koch and Chris Connelly)
- Island in the Sun (RCA Records)
- Gimme That Banana [RCA/Cinevox]
- Closer to the Phone (RCA Records)
- Vanishing Lady (RCA Records)
- Danny Boy (RCA/Laser Records)
- 20 MILES (Powderworks/EMI)
- Kookaburra [EMI]
- Try Again [EMI /Titanic) Aust. Mega (Scandinavia) EMI /SONET (U.K)
- Never Felt This Way Before [BMG/RCA]
- With S-witch: I Want Your Love [BMG/RCA] U.K
- Soul Sounds feat The Sherifs (Sony)
- Don't Know Why (Sony)
- After Darktan [RCA]
- Alston and the Freemantle Doctor [EMI]
- Don't Funk With Me [SME]
- The Funkmaster by A.R.I.A (Aria chartfacts June 2012)
- Tha Grand Pa of Techno (News Ltd)
- The King of Disco (Fairfax/Leader group of Newspapers)
- The Prophet of Dance (Austereo Radio Network & The Australian 'Top 20' Countdown)
Member of the 'Grammy Academy'
Alston was admitted to this National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences in January 2014.
New Film in the making, starting in July 2014 will be Queen of the Golden Triangle, a story written by Alston Koch for Hollywood.
Koch is displayed on a banner in front of Hard Rock Cafe.
ARIA's Platinum Award for Alston Koch.
Koch shows his inclusion in ARIA Charts.
Koch delivers a speech at 11th IIFA Awards.
- "Alston Koch appointed Sri Lanka tourism envoy". The Associated Newspapers of Ceylon Ltd. 12 August 2008. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- "Alston Koch song debuts at London WTM". The Associated Newspapers of Ceylon Ltd. 10 November 2008. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- "'Priceless ball' – made in Sri Lanka". The Associated Newspapers of Ceylon Ltd. 1 December 2004. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- "Lankan cricketers – a big draw in Canberra". The Associated Newspapers of Ceylon Ltd. 17 February 2008. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- "Sri Lankan cricketers play for Hope project". The Associated Newspapers of Ceylon Ltd. 29 December 2002. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- "Sri Lanka Small Miracle". Upali Newspapers Limited. 28 June 2009. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- "Egypt's Red Sea Resort becomes a Tourism EarthLung". RIVIRA MEDIA CORPORATION LTD. 30 November 2008. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- "ANew UN World Tourism Organization climate change initiative invites travel industry to 'Live the Deal'". Moodie International Limited. 16 December 2009. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- "Alston Koch to perform in Cuba". Wijeya Newspapers Ltd. 22 March 2009. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- Alston Koch knocked out all heavyweights
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alston Koch.|
- About Alston – The International Coalition of Tourism Partners to take Green Growth to the Carnival in Seychelles
- Disco never went away
- ELECTRONICA DANCE ARTIST ABBY CUBEY COLLABORATES WITH ALSTON KOCH FOR NEW HIT SINGLE
- Meet Alston Koch, Australia's grand pop of techno
- Man for all seasons; Alston Koch
- Alston Koch sings Sri Lankan national anthem during ODI between SL and Aus at MCG
- Alston Koch born Sri Lanka (ex Ceylon) @ The Dutch Burgher Union of Sri Lanka
- Alston Koch appointed as Sri Lanka tourism ambassador
- Australian star Alston Koch storms the charts with the Murali Song
- (Video) Murali (Australasian Dance Mix) – Alston Koch
- ALSTON KOCH – SRILANKA
- Dark Tan – Disco Lady (Alston Koch)
- Alston Koch talks to Australian PM on Lanka’s Tsunami victims at MCG fundraiser