From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For Irish band, see Altan (band).
For other uses, see Altan (disambiguation).
|Meaning||1. "red dawn"
|Look up Altan in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Altan is a common masculine Turkish given name used also as surname and a Mongolian given name. Altan means "golden" in Mongolian and "red dawn" in Turkic. The related word "Altın" is also Turkish for "golden" and a common Turkish surname.
- Altan Aksoy, a Turkish football player
- Altan Erkekli, a Turkish theatre and film actor
- Altan Erol, a Turkish professional basketball player
- Altan Debter, an early, now lost history of the Mongols
- Altan Khan, a Mongol ruler (1507–1582)
- Altan Khan of the Khotgoid, a succession of rulers of north-western Mongolia in the 17th century
- Altan Öymen, a Turkish journalist, author and former politician
- Altan Telgey, a Mongol earth goddess
- Altan Tobchi, a 17th-century Mongolian chronicle written by Guush Luvsandanzan
- Altan Urag, a Mongolian folk rock band
- Ahmet Altan (born 1950), Turkish journalist and author
- Çetin Altan (born 1927), Turkish writer, journalist, and former member of parliament
- Mehmet Altan (born 1953), Turkish economist, columnist and writer
- Francesco Tullio Altan (born 1942), Italian satire and comic book author
- Kaan Altan, a founding member of the Turkish rock band Mavi Sakal
- Altın, Turkish word also meaning "golden"
- Гарма Данцаранович Санжеев - The modern Mongolian language (1973), p. 24