Alternative press (U.S. political left)
Under the broad heading of the alternative press are several subcategories including periodicals published by groups, movements, or individuals affiliated with the U.S. political left. As the word press implies, these are printed publications, as opposed to electronic forms of alternative media.
A large number of alternative and radical publications are indexed in the Alternative Press Index published by the Alternative Press Center, which also maintains a list of these periodicals browsable online.
- The Activist (available online)
- AdBusters (a Canadian magazine)
- Against the Current
- The Crisis
- Grist Magazine
- International Socialist Review
- In These Times
- Left Turn
- Mute (available online)
- Monthly Review
- Mother Jones
- The Nation
- New Internationalist
- New Politics
- Political Affairs Magazine
- The Progressive
- Utne Reader
- Yes! Magazine
- Z Magazine
No longer published 
- Clamor Magazine
- Crossroads, editorial board containing members of C of C, DSA, ex-SWP, ex-NCM and others. Published 1991 -1996.
- Fourth International (available online). Socialist Workers Party. Published 1940 - 1945.
- The Liberator (available online) Monthly culture and politics paper, founded by Max Eastman as successor to The Masses.
- The Masses. Published 1911 - 1917.
- The New Leader. Published 1924-2010.
- The New Masses. Published 1926–1948.
- New Left Notes, Students for a Democratic Society. Published vol. 1 #1 1965 - vol. 4 # 31 Oct 2/1969.
- Radical America, 1967-1999, journal unofficially affiliated with SDS, from 1967 to 1969; founded by SDS activists Paul Buhle and Mari Jo Buhle.
- Ramparts (1962–1975)
- Socialism and Liberation, (available online), monthly magazine of the Party for Socialism and Liberation
- Socialist Review 1970-2002
- Studies on the Left, 1959-1967, edited by William Appleman Williams.
- The Realist, 1959–2001, edited and published by Paul Krassner
- Western Socialist 1933-1980 Journal of Scientific Socialism in the Western Hemisphere published by Socialist Party of Canada (WSM) and jointly between 1939-mid-1970s with the World Socialist Party of the United States.
- Win, New York, late 1960s-early 70s.
National newspapers 
- Burning Spear (available online) publication of the African People's Socialist Party
- Challenge (available online) biweekly publication of the Progressive Labor Party
- Democratic Left (available online) quarterly publication of the Democratic Socialists of America
- Fight Back! (available online) publication associated with Freedom Road Socialist Organization
- Freedom Socialist (available online) bimonthly publication of the Freedom Socialist Party
- Green Pages (available online) the quarterly publication of the Green Party of the United States
- Industrial Worker (not available online) monthly publication of the Industrial Workers of the World
- The Indypendent (available online) biweekly publication of the New York City Independent Media Center
- Justice! (available online) bimonthly publication of Socialist Alternative
- Liberation (available online) biweekly publication of the Party for Socialism and Liberation
- The Militant (available online) weekly publication of the Socialist Workers Party
- News and Letters (available online) bimonthly publication of the News and Letters Committees
- The People (available online) bimonthly publication of the Socialist Labor Party
- People's Tribune (available online) publication associated with the League of Revolutionaries for a New America
- People's World (available online) weekly publication of the Communist Party USA
- Revolution (available online) weekly publication of the Revolutionary Communist Party
- The Socialist (available online) bimonthly publication of the Socialist Party USA
- Socialist Worker (available online) weekly publication of the International Socialist Organization
- Workers Vanguard (available online), biweekly publication of the Spartacist League
- Workers World (available online) weekly publication of the Workers World Party
No longer published 
- The Black Panther (newspaper of the Black Panther Party)
- The Call daily paper of the Socialist Party of America (1908–1923)
- The Class Struggle (available online) monthly paper of the Communist League of Struggle (1931–1937)
- MIM Notes biweekly publication of the Maoist International Movement
- The Crusader monthly magazine of the African Blood Brotherhood (1918–1922)
- Daily Worker daily paper of the Communist Party USA (1924–1957)
- Grass Roots (National Publication for the Peoples' Parties)
- Guardian New York City (1948–1992); unrelated to The Guardian UK newspaper.
- Hammer and Sickle (League for Proletarian Revolution)
- PM (newspaper)
- R.P.M. (Detroit Organizing Committee)
- War Times (available online)
- Workers' Power paper of the International Socialists (ceased publication 1986 [?])
Labor newspapers 
- Colorado Labor Advocate (Denver, Colorado)
- Criterion (UAW Local 961)
- Industrial Worker (available online) published 10 times per year by Industrial Workers of the World
- Labor Notes (available online) monthly paper published by Labor Education & Research Project
- Region Two Observer (Michigan Education Association)
- Seattle Union Record (available online) daily paper published by the Pacific Northwest Newspaper Guild during Seattle Times and Seattle Post-Intelligencer newspaper strike. November 2000 - January 2001.
- UE News (available online) monthly paper of the United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America
No longer published 
- The Labor Herald monthly publication of the Trade Union Educational League (1921–1929)
- Plaindealer published by the Wichita Trade and Labor Assembly. (1920–1930)
- Portland Labor Press published by Central Labor Council of Portland, Oregon (1900–1915).
- Seattle Union Record (history article online). Daily labor paper of Central Labor council of Seattle (1899–1928).
- Voice of the People Tucson, Arizona. 1910 - 1911.
- Worker's Chronicle Pittsburg, Kansas (1914–1923).
Local political newspapers 
- Changeover (Motor City Labor League)
- Closer to It (Akron, Ohio)
- El Gallo: La Voz de la Justicia (Denver, Colorado)
- Inner City Voice (Detroit, Michigan)
- The Journey (Motor City Labor League)
- People's Voice (Detroit, Michigan)
- The Phoenix (Boston, Massachusetts)
- Rock Creek Free Press (Washington, DC)
- The Southern Patriot (Southern Conference Educational Fund)
- Third Coast Press (Chicago, Illinois)
- Knoxville Voice (Knoxville, Tennessee)
- The Portland Alliance (Portland, Oregon)
No longer published 
See also 
- Liberal periodicals: Harpers Magazine, The Nation, The New Republic
- Alternative press (U.S. political right)
- Underground press
- Alternative media (U.S. political left)
- Alternative media (U.S. political right)
- Alternative media
- List of left-wing publications in the United Kingdom
- The Labor Press Project
- Sweeny, Michael S. "The Strangled Shout of the "Voice of the People": Editor Frank Harris Blighton and his Mentor E.W. Scripps.". Archived from the original on 12 October 2006. Retrieved 2006-10-09.
- Tamiment Library Boxed Newspapers 1873-, (Bulk 1960-1990). 150 linear feet (300 boxes). Retrieved August 23, 2006.
- Kelling, Karla. The Labor and Radical Press 1820-the Present: An Overview and Bibliography. Retrieved August 13, 2005.
- The IPA’s Domino Effect:The Enron of Indie Media Leaves Publications in a Pinch The Indypendent, Chris Anderson, January 10, 2007
Websites with research materials on alternative (print) press 
- Alternative Press Center Publisher of Alternative Press Index, a guide to independent left publications, since 1969.
- Kansas Labor Newspapers
- The Labor Press Project a Pacific Northwest Labor History Project of the Harry Bridges Center for Labor Studies at the University of Washington. Retrieved August 13, 2005.