Alton railway station
|Local authority||East Hampshire|
|Managed by||South West Trains|
|Number of platforms||3|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|28 July 1852||Station opens|
|2 October 1865||Station moved to adjacent site|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Alton from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Basingstoke & Alton
Alton railway station is a railway station in the town of Alton, in the English county of Hampshire. The station is the terminus for two railway lines; the Alton Line which runs to Brookwood and onto London Waterloo and the Mid Hants Watercress Railway, which runs to Alresford. The latter once ran through to Winchester but was closed to passengers in February 1973. It reopened as a heritage line in 1985. Two other routes (both now closed) also served the station – the Meon Valley line to Fareham and the Basingstoke and Alton Light Railway.
Services operate along the Alton Line to Brookwood and join the South West Main Line towards London Waterloo which is 46 3⁄4 miles (75.2 km) to the north east. The line was single-tracked as far as Farnham by British Rail in the early 1980s.
The first station opened by the London and South Western Railway in 1852 was sited on what is now the station car park. It closed when the present station opened in 1865. The London & South Western Railway became part of the Southern Railway during the Grouping of 1923. The line from Woking to Alton was electrified in 1937 and the station passed on to the Southern Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948.
Monday to Saturdays there is a half-hourly service to London Waterloo and an hourly service on Sundays, increasing to half-hourly from approximately 1330.
- Body, p.33
- Body, G. (1984), PSL Field Guides - Railways of the Southern Region, Patrick Stephens Ltd, Cambridge. ISBN 0-85059-664-5
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 0-9068-9999-0. OCLC 228266687.
- Map sources for Alton railway station
- Train times and station information for Alton railway station from National Rail
- Station on navigable O.S. map
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Bentley or Farnham||South West Trains
|Terminus||Mid Hants Watercress Railway||Medstead & Four Marks|
|Treloar's Hospital Platform
Line and station closed
|London and South Western Railway
Basingstoke and Alton Light Railway
Meon Valley Railway