Altrincham and Sale West (UK Parliament constituency)
|Altrincham and Sale West|
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of Altrincham and Sale West in Greater Manchester.
Location of Greater Manchester within England.
|Population||96,591 (2011 census)|
|Electorate||72,008 (December 2010)|
|Member of Parliament||Graham Brady (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Altrincham & Sale|
|European Parliament constituency||North West England|
The 1995 Boundary Commission review led to its creation for the 1997 election largely from the old seat of Altrincham and Sale, and has been held since then by the Conservative Graham Brady, appointed by his colleagues the chairman of the backbench 1922 Committee (2010 to date).
1997-2010: The Metropolitan Borough of Trafford wards of Altrincham, Bowdon, Broadheath, Hale, Mersey St Mary's, St Martin's, Timperley, and Village.
2010-present: The Metropolitan Borough of Trafford wards of Altrincham, Ashton upon Mersey, Bowdon, Broadheath, Hale Barns, Hale Central, St Mary’s, Timperley, and Village.
The constituency is one of three covering the Metropolitan Borough of Trafford. It covers the south of the borough, covering the town of Altrincham and the west of Sale. It is bordered by the constituencies of Stretford and Urmston, Tatton, Warrington North, Warrington South, and Wythenshawe and Sale East.
The economy of the area is diverse and closely linked to the success of private business in the North West.
Workless claimants who were registered jobseekers, in November 2012, were a lower proportion of Altincham and Sale West's population than the national average of 3.8%, and the slightly higher regional average of 4.2%, at 2.3% of the population based on a statistical compilation by The Guardian.
The constituency includes the most expensive residential streets outside of South-East England. There are also several Black British premiership footballers and millionaire British Asian businessmen and women who live in the constituency.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Altrincham and Sale West|
|Liberal Democrat||Jane Brophy|
|General Election 2010: Altrincham and Sale West|
|Liberal Democrat||Jane Brophy||12,581||25.5||+3.6|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Altrincham and Sale West|
|Liberal Democrat||Ian Chappell||9,595||21.7||+7.3|
|General Election 2001: Altrincham and Sale West|
|Liberal Democrat||Christopher Gaskell||6,283||14.4||+1.8|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Altrincham and Sale West|
|Liberal Democrat||Marc Ramsbottom||6,535||12.6||N/A|
|Referendum Party||Anthony Landes||1,348||2.6||N/A|
|ProLife Alliance||Jonathan Stephens||313||0.6||N/A|
Notes and references
- "Usual Resident Population, 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- "Prices surge in England's most expensive street". The Daily Telegraph (London). 8 March 2010.
- Barry, Chris (5 February 2007). "From printing T-shirts to £30m food fortune". Manchester Evening News (M.E.N. Media).
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "A" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Altrincham and Sale West UKPOLLING